My Motorcycle Trailer project

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

My Motorcycle Trailer project

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:15 am

the last time we moved I put my cycle in the U-haul, I'm not trying that again :shock: , I did it all successfully but I am not going to do that again for two reasons, first is because something terrible could have happened[ I rode that sucker up into the uhaul], accident ect. and second it took up too much room in the Uhaul, we had items all around the bike and all but still with the bags and fairing it takes up a lot of room in there.. I need a trailer for the bike anyway.. I need it to fetch friends bikes or neighbors bikes or perhaps even my own one day.. I also need it to haul my riding mower at times..We have a hitch set up on our Bonneville too so if need be we can hook it up to that vehicle too ..I would mostly haul it using my pick up though...I got this trailer from Twostrokes, I fell in love with it and thought it would be a great little project for me...Boy oh boy did some welder have fun building this one,, freakin stout sucker man,,heavy 2" angle iron 1/4" thick they don't build them like this anymore, he wasn't playing around building this gem of a trailer...Jim told me about it at the last minute, I was going to purchase a different trailer with 15" wheels for like $800 then I got to thinking about it, having 15" wheels is going to put that trailer kinda tall, it's going to be a mother to get the bike up into the trailer without help,,I want a trailer I can just ride up and hook off by myself,,Jim had just the trailer I wanted,, Oh there are lots of trailers out there, Home depot has them, Tractor& trailer has them they are everywhere, but they are usually 5x8' trailers...Jim's was 5x9 :D ...A 5x8' trailer would work fine but the rear of the bike will be sticking out the back just a tiny bit, not alot but some...It would work fine but Jim's was perfect for all my needs and it even came with a chock... He wanted $500 for it and it would be a great deal for anyone, but when he said you can have it for $450 :shock: I just thought that I'd be a fool to pass that offer up, it needed new tires on it and that's no big deal, the hubs and bearings look great, I have a extra set of bearings I shall carry just in case..Plenty of grease in there too, as I dismantled it anyway, even though Jim said they were good, he was so right they are good, I still have to check though..Nothing personal just that's just me covering my bases....It came with little 8" wheels but I put on 12" wheels so I could carry more weight if need be..I'm posting this because I want to have it documented, besided it involves my bike and I thought it would make a great before and after post..I'm ok at turning something around and making it look a little better than it did before, sure it's just a trailer , who cares right? I do, I want my stuff to look like new if at least a little better, besides it's hauling my Ginger.. :lol:
Here's the little trailer at Twostrokes house,  justa sitten there waiting for me to come take her away..
Here's the little trailer at Twostrokes house, justa sitten there waiting for me to come take her away..
Everything here is reversable, I can always get 10" wheels and take the fenders off and not worry about it bottoming out...Or I can always go back to 8" wheels but that's not too likely because this trailer weights alot to start with,,it's built solid as a rock man.. Oh schoolers would love this trailer man.. :D Oh and it tilts too, just remove a pin and it tilts...Hello... :D I'm so happy with it Jim thank you so much...I will care for it and keep it for one of my kids later on...It was in Jims family for a long time he said...It couldn't have found a better place to be..With the Beave.. :lol: :lol: I went ahead and gave Jim $460.00 I should have given him athe full $500, it's worth it...I think we are both delighted..A chock too.. :shock:
Attachments
I just got it home, notice the little 8" wheels on it in this photo, it didn't take me long to change that, I rann down to HF and got aother wheel to match my spare 12" one I had and placed them on..
I just got it home, notice the little 8" wheels on it in this photo, it didn't take me long to change that, I rann down to HF and got aother wheel to match my spare 12" one I had and placed them on..
the wood is weathered but in great shape, I painted it up using flat black and at this time the frame is rust primer
the wood is weathered but in great shape, I painted it up using flat black and at this time the frame is rust primer
I already have the wheels changed 1/2hr. after I got home.. Now see the lower angle iron in the photo, well if I add weight to the trailer there's a good chance that will bottom out on that angle so I cut a section out at the bottom only...and I made a wooden fender to insure clearence for the top of the trailer as it bonces down the road, so now for sure it won't hit anything...I still have 4' between the fenders so that's plenty of room for a sheet of plywood to fit or drywall...Perfect...Being that theres another angle iron 6" above that one it won't hurt anything structurally at all cutting that section out..
I already have the wheels changed 1/2hr. after I got home.. Now see the lower angle iron in the photo, well if I add weight to the trailer there's a good chance that will bottom out on that angle so I cut a section out at the bottom only...and I made a wooden fender to insure clearence for the top of the trailer as it bonces down the road, so now for sure it won't hit anything...I still have 4' between the fenders so that's plenty of room for a sheet of plywood to fit or drywall...Perfect...Being that theres another angle iron 6" above that one it won't hurt anything structurally at all cutting that section out..
Oh man it tilts too..Gotta love that..One time in South Carolina they had a dump and you backed your vehicle up and dumped down into a dumpster, this trailer would be perfect for that but that's not why I bought it, It's cool man, just raise it up and away stuff  goes..
Oh man it tilts too..Gotta love that..One time in South Carolina they had a dump and you backed your vehicle up and dumped down into a dumpster, this trailer would be perfect for that but that's not why I bought it, It's cool man, just raise it up and away stuff goes..

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: My Motorcycle Trailer project

Postby Mag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Beav, like you I have to really have the ability to do everything myself. I think I broke my wife a couple years ago and she was just really silent about it, but she just cannot help like she used to.

You said you wanted a way to get the bike up on the trailer by yourself. Hmmmm.....how do you do that? Curious, since I know I will need to get a 5x9 trailer some day :P

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I had a pretty nice one bike trailer once but I sold it, that was a foolish move...I had a small ramp and I could just ride right up and place the front wheel in the chock, I placed the straps on two jackstands on each side of the bike so I could just reach them once the bike is in position and I'd hook her off while sitting on the bike..I always lock in the rear with a hand made wooden chock too and screw it down to the deck..and I tie that sucker down really really well...Overly well...Secondary straps...I take no chances on the Highway.. Oh, the top side of the trailer's frame is now Royal blue...I also bought a crank down stand for it today for $20.00 looking good so far..

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:13 am

I have never trailered a mc, so pardon my ignorance.

I have, however, trailered cars over long distances, and must say I have been very comfortable having the car on the trailer. (This was usually behind a 10 tonne bus converted to a motorhome (aka RV) about 13.5 metres (38feet) long, with a 6metre (23.5 feet) long trailer with the car on board.)

When tying the car down, I would use the straps around the wheels, as the straps had an extra bit to loop over the tyres, before ratcheting them tight. This allowed the car to 'float' on its own suspension, rather than compress the vehicle's suspension, and having it ride on the bottom of the suspension of the car.

My question then becomes: "Why is this not done on a mc?" Why would you not allow the mc to float on its own suspension, providing the wheels were chocked, and not damage the suspension?

It just does not seem logical to lock down the suspension, and risk the damage. Whereas if the wheels were chocked, and the tie-downs were correct, it would not fall over. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 am

redial wrote:I have never trailered a mc, so pardon my ignorance.
My question then becomes: "Why is this not done on a mc?" Why would you not allow the mc to float on its own suspension, providing the wheels were chocked, and not damage the suspension?

It just does not seem logical to lock down the suspension, and risk the damage. Whereas if the wheels were chocked, and the tie-downs were correct, it would not fall over. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I don't think you are wrong in your assumption that the suspension would be beneficial when towing, but the fact that a motorcycle wants to fall down makes this risky. The only way to securely tie a motorcycle down is tightly, which compresses the suspension, and the best and strongest tie points are the triple trees in front, which again compresses the suspension. If the suspension is not tightly compresses, the danger of the tie downs letting the bike move or even disconnecting is too high. I guess, if one had strong enough walls on an enclosed trailer, one could basically suspend the bike on it's wheels, but that would be a special trailer. The ideal would be with a crate frame like the manufacturers use when the bikes come out of the factory, but even then the bikes are securely held down. Taking all movement out of the bike is the only positive way of arriving at the other end with an undamaged product, as a bouncing bike will affect the trailers stability also. Our bikes weigh in the neighborhood of a thousand pounds, which is lots heavier than most trailers.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 am

Thought I would let you'll know, I had that trailer custom build back in 1983 for my gold cart. I left for the Philippines in 1987 and left the trailer at my Mom's house. Seemed everyone in the family (brothers and sisters) used it at one time or another hauling furniture to dorms at colleges of their kids or whatever. When I returned in 1993, I brought it home. It was in pretty bad shape. No longer had a deck. I put new wood, redid the bearings and got it back on the road. It was again ready for a new deck so in 2011 I again put a new deck and did the wheel bearings. Used treated wood for the deck and then coated them with Thompsons water seal & repellant. I reached a point where I had 3 trailers. I now use a 16 foot for my bike because when we trailer to rallies, the wife wanted to take the golf cart, so I needed something big enough for both. I hope Littlebeaver gets as much use out of it as I did and since he will take care of it, should last another 30 years.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:17 am

twostrokes48 wrote:I hope Littlebeaver gets as much use out of it as I did and since he will take care of it, should last another 30 years.

Well, it has been my experience over the years that you cannot wear a trailer out... You can wear out tires, and even bearings if you do not take care of them, and if you live in the North Country, like some of us do, you can rust them out - but you cannot wear them out. Just about every other part of a trailer can be rebuilt. I think that trailer will outlive us all - :ugeek:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Wow, this little trailer is looking good fella's as I said before I had to get larger tires for it due to the weight of the trailer plus the bike, I took out the flat part of the angle iron from the opening of the homemade fenders it clears by a good 1/2" on both wheels not a problem and as you can see I have way more clearance on the top of the wheel..If I left the wood there flat like it was it very well could have still hit it as it bounces up and down..so I made the fender flush with the top rails so it would serve as a seat as well...I'm always thinking..I still can reverse all of this and place the flat board across as it was originally but I'd have to buy two new 10" tires and cut the rest of that angle off completely for that because they are wider tires and rims, I'm not going back to 8" wheels because of the weight capacity..So I went with what I have here..Still need to add the lights and paint the underside.. But it now has two new 12" wheels, and two new hubs and bearing sets and it will have brand new lights too..Wood will do for a while but i'll replace them later on, they are still in good shape...When I inspected the bearings I took off one side and it was perfect so I thought well, the other side should be fine too and I was just going to leave it alone but then I took it off and found some pitting on the outer race, hummm, I need to change this race,,then I remembered Northern tools had hubs on sale,,I said screw it and just bought new for both and I will use the better of the two for back up plan, Oh, Jim was right they look like they were full of grease and well maintained but I think some moisture got in from the rains and it took it's toll on the one side from sitting there for a spell..It's all good though because this trailer as it was even is worth a lot more than he sold it for..And we [family] are so thanklful for that, now its as good as it ever was once Again Jim thank you sir for a wonderful deal on it..I love my little trailer,,I plan on designing a box I can just place on it, made of lightweight material so when I need to haul stuff like brush or boxes ect. the box will do me justice..there's no end to what a guy can come up with, maybe I can sun bathe on it.. :shock: .. ..
Here's the rear of the trailer with the homemade fenders/ seat
Here's the rear of the trailer with the homemade fenders/ seat
I may need to re-drill a hole to relocate the stands pin so the stand is plumb, it's due to the angle of the tongue, that's why it's not plumb, I shall fix that too, as I want it plumb.. No stand of mine will be out that plumb...gosh darn it..
I may need to re-drill a hole to relocate the stands pin so the stand is plumb, it's due to the angle of the tongue, that's why it's not plumb, I shall fix that too, as I want it plumb.. No stand of mine will be out that plumb...gosh darn it..
Oh oh hey,,it tilts too.... :lol: :lol: I love it..
Attachments
Photo of the chock and the right side of the trailer, you can see the angle of the tongue making the stand out of plumb here,,that should be an easy fix..Just drill a new hole..
Photo of the chock and the right side of the trailer, you can see the angle of the tongue making the stand out of plumb here,,that should be an easy fix..Just drill a new hole..
Sorry Jim, Bad race so I just replaced both hubs with new one's..should last me a while..It could happen to the best of us, even though you changed them a few years back moisture took it's toll, I really don't know how as much grease as was in there..wonderful project for me though...I love my trailer..Honest...I dig it man..I can lift it up and laid down and look at the stars now..4 screws and off the fender comes..
Sorry Jim, Bad race so I just replaced both hubs with new one's..should last me a while..It could happen to the best of us, even though you changed them a few years back moisture took it's toll, I really don't know how as much grease as was in there..wonderful project for me though...I love my trailer..Honest...I dig it man..I can lift it up and laid down and look at the stars now..4 screws and off the fender comes..
Brand new hubs
Brand new hubs

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Well, I finally am done with my project trailer and I have a few photo's to show and also some helpful information for the next guy, I have towed my Nomad all over and I have towed my XS-1100 too from State to State and now my GL1100 so I am very experienced at it but rolling a 1100 out of a uhaul is nerve racking when it's just you and your daughter and wife, a trailer was my fix, I got this from Two strokes and now it has new hubs and yet another set of wheels, I wanted a higher rated wheel because I'm hauling to Mississppi this time from San Antonio and these wheels have a 1100 lb capacity per side so that's 2200 lbs and I'm happy now..The bike is 800 and the trailer probably 500 so I'm well under the weight limit..We tested the bike and trailer yesterday on the highway and it tows brilliantly...Perfect and I'm thrilled and confident with this trailer now.. In the past I always strapped the handle bars to the huge eyebolts I have mounted on the inside of the trailer but this time I placed the straps to the bikes frame itself, I removed the false tank and seat to do this...This, in my opinion is the best place to fasten the bike down, to it's frame, I also installed two more eye bolts for the rear crashbar and fella's, I gotta say this bike is now part of the trailer, tight and secure is what I was after and that's what I have now.. I also strapped down the front wheel in the chock as a precaution, it's also my opinion that a guy can't be too safe with extra straps so I went ahead and placed a extra strap to the handle bars just for safety reasons, I call them secondary straps..Now I'm ready to roll..
Attachments
there's something about having taller sides on a trailer that makes me feel better...besides now I can stack plastic bends and boxes inside and cover the top with canvis or tarps...      Yes..
there's something about having taller sides on a trailer that makes me feel better...besides now I can stack plastic bends and boxes inside and cover the top with canvis or tarps... Yes..
I don't have my eye bolts fastened to the frame here yet but I wanted to show the inside of the trailer
I don't have my eye bolts fastened to the frame here yet but I wanted to show the inside of the trailer

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE!

Nice!!

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey Beaver,
Can I have my trailer back?? Give you back your $460..lol...It looks really good. More than I ever needed to do with it, as I usually have a couple trailers around....
Good luck with the move....hope everything goes well for ya.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 pm

I am very sad at this time because my wife is in Columbus and I'm not by her side...I gotta stay here until after the 6th when Amanda get's out of school then we can move... we found a place to live in two days time, already for the 1st. of June to move in.. A really nice place in the Country on the outskirts of Caledonia MS. Amanda has visited the school there and she liked it..Awesome, beautiful twisty roads in MS. and smooth as silk man..Slow and easy around those parts too..I'm getting away from the fast lane here in San Antonio...Maybe my BP will drop a little now..Thanks again for the trailer Twostrokes, You are welcome to use it anytime.. I will get photo's of the ramp and such next time we load it up..maybe a video of me riding the bike up... :D But fella's the frame is where's it's at if your hauling..I will not miss I-35 through Austin up to Dallas...What a freakin nightmare that highway has been for me..Oh my daughter Amanda was there to supervise the crazy Dad..Once she gave me the thumbs up on everything we rolled away for our test ride.. :lol:

redial

Postby redial » Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey LB, it is not the wheels that have the most effect on weight bearing, it is the tyres. There is a rating that can be associated with tyres that indicates their carrying capacity. As my trailer is certified for 3 500 Kg, including its own weight, I need four tyres that when added together come to above 3 500 Kg (near enough to 3.5 tons) - which coincidentally is the maximum that we are allowed to put on a towball. For pulling more than total trailered weight of 750kg (about 0.75 tons), you need to fit brakes, and if you are into the higher numbers, then you also need a battery back up to cover the times that the trailer wants to be independent and comes away from the towball and chains, so that the trailer's brakes are applied when the connection is broken.

I have had the trailer pass me on the inside, with a Subaru Forester onboard, but instead of doing a nose dive (like they normally do), and tipping over to land on the cargo's 'lid', it remained right side up. I fastened a chain (never a rope) to the trailer and managed to pull it out of the grass on a very flat and even verge. The tow ball had shaken itself free of the lock nut and washer, and the chains (not even suitable for a child's swing), simply parted with the weight. I had trailered the car for well over 1500Km (about 1000miles) when it happened, and had checked the towball and coupling about 40km earlier. I recommend greasing the cup and the tow ball to reduce friction, and checking the coupling every fuel stop at least, if not every two hours.

Enjoy your trailer, as it looks like it has the LB touch of being functional, and being right!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

redial

Postby redial » Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

These two Wikipedia sites have a lot of information about:

Motorcycle tyres: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_tyres

and about tyres for passenger and Light Truck (aka trailer) tyres:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
Len in Kapunda

Rayvn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby Rayvn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:13 pm

I know it's an old thread. But then so am I :o

A wing in a trailer....... That's just not right ! Maybe you should buy a Harley. hehehe ;) :P

Return to “Camping and Trailers”