Florida motorcycle insurance

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Florida motorcycle insurance

Postby ka4yqi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 am

Thought I ask about the Florida motorcyle insurance laws. What is required, what you have to have? My friend was involded in a motorcyle accident in Port Orange while we where down for bike week. The fellow that hit the rear of the 08 goldwing said at the time he had the lizard insurance (Gieco hmmmm) . he was also on a motorcycle, but he was carried off in a amblance, his passinger was able to walk off. He was able to get a report and was able to talk to the fellow and low and behold he had none. So now the insurance repairs are on his company. For the best part, we rode away from the wreck with a saddlebag bungee corded together and made it all the way back to Georgia with it. He was brused and had a little road rash, and took a little longer to get home.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Florida motorcycle insurance

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Yeah, that's why 'uninsured/unknown motorist' are a prime part of my insurance coverage. Florida must have a mandatory insurance law, but if the guy had none, you cannot get blood from a stone. Was me, I would make sure the police knew about the no insurance, although my experience says they won't do squat. I hope your buddy got the guy's license number and state of registration, because he definitely should report this, at least to the DMV, as well as the po-po.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 am

I was under the impression that bike insurance wasn't mandatory in Florida,although I don't know why it wouldn't be in this day and age.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:14 pm

After checking on this, yes, it is mandatory to carry at the minimum, personal liability and property damage in Florida. What is sad is that the minimums for each are only 10 thousand dollars.

Wisconsin and New Hampshire apparently do not have mandatory insurance laws. The other 48 states do, but if like Florida, they might as well not have.

ImageImage

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks Viking, seems that the motorcycle insurance laws in Florida are a joke. My buddy insurance is handling his goldwing. Seems this fellow did not what was required and not ticket or anything for it, well maybe a bent up bike he was on. Good thing is that my friend is still alive and doing better. Still a little sore, but healing well. I guess the moral of the story is to make sure your insurance is up to date and have 'uninsured/unknown motorist' on the policy.

Steve

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm

themainviking wrote:Wisconsin and New Hampshire apparently do not have mandatory insurance laws.

Isn't freedom wonderful?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Here's another 'insurance' question. Does your M/C insurance provide medical coverage for you or your rider? I have full coverage with Allstate. Have had it for many years. When I asked my Agent about it he said that he couldn't write medical in NC even if he wanted to. Said they would gladly make the bike good as new, anyone who was not on my bike that was hurt had coverage, but any medical concerns for me or my passenger would have to be dealt with by our health insurance. Said it was 'assumed' if you wreck your M/C, you're gonna get hurt and NC Agents were not able to write medical coverage for M/C. I was wondering if all states were like this or just some of them?
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 am

mtn_boy1 wrote:Here's another 'insurance' question. Does your M/C insurance provide medical coverage for you or your rider? I have full coverage with Allstate. Have had it for many years. When I asked my Agent about it he said that he couldn't write medical in NC even if he wanted to. Said they would gladly make the bike good as new, anyone who was not on my bike that was hurt had coverage, but any medical concerns for me or my passenger would have to be dealt with by our health insurance. Said it was 'assumed' if you wreck your M/C, you're gonna get hurt and NC Agents were not able to write medical coverage for M/C. I was wondering if all states were like this or just some of them?

Only some of them, but I have no idea how many, especially after I discovered that two states do not require insurance at all. I had New Mexico insurance, which state is also pretty lax about those who do not have any. I also had uninsured/unknown motorist and am very glad I had it. I was hit and runned by a Florida car, while riding through Denver on I25. My insurance picked up my hospital bills, repaired my motorcycle (or paid for it to be done) and replaced all the stuff that ended up on the highway. As I said, that insurance was written in New Mexico. I never had any accidents with other states policies.

ImageImage

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:56 am

The thing about medical coverage is state specific. Here in Pennsylvania, they cover medical within the MC insurance. The limit of coverage will vary with the coverage requested, like most states. Our minimum is also low, but they are strict about having it at all. You cannot transfer a title without insurance or have the annual inspection done either. The insurance companies are supposed to report to PennDOT when anyone lapses their coverage on any motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth. Then they notify you to turn in your license plate. If you don't respond either with proof of insurance or the plate by the due date, they turn it over to the State Police and you get a visit from a trooper with a screwdriver. You avoid the trooper, they put out a warrant.

There's nothing much that can be done about out of staters operating in Pennsylvania without insurance. You just have to hope that you don't run into them, literally.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby GRAPEAPE94 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 am

Even though I have plenty of coverage insurance is not required in Florida. Down here the only requirement is if you ride without a helmet yo have to show proof of at least $10,000 in personel liability coverage aand be over 21.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 pm

SteveB123 wrote:
themainviking wrote:Wisconsin and New Hampshire apparently do not have mandatory insurance laws.

Isn't freedom wonderful?

I need to correct a post about Insurance in the state of WISCONSIN. :?
Any Wisconsin resident who is caught operating a motorcycle with out the minimum required insurance will face
penalties that could include license suspension. All motorcycles riders must be able to show proof of insurance
to the Wisconsin department of Transportation. Also states anyone who wishes to ride a motorcycle in the state of Wisconsin should be aware of the motorcycle insurance laws that apply.

WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Up date on Wisconsin Motorcycle Insurance.

The minimum insurance requirements for motorcycle riders in Wisconsin are mandated by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Motorcycle riders must have bodily injury coverage, property damage coverage and uninsured motorist coverage. In the event that a motorcycle accident results in only one person being injured, the motorcycle rider must have at least $25,000 of insurance coverage to cover the costs related to the bodily injury. If multiple people are injured in one accident, the motorcycle rider is required to have at least a $50,000 policy. In the event that an accident only results in property being damaged, the motorcycle rider's insurance policy must be able to cover at least $10,000. The required minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage is identical to the amount required for bodily injury
WA9FWT Phil

Read more: Wisconsin Motorcycle Insurance Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7163380_wiscon ... z2PMEUki2M

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 pm

WA9FWT wrote:Up date on Wisconsin Motorcycle Insurance.

The minimum insurance requirements for motorcycle riders in Wisconsin are mandated by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Motorcycle riders must have bodily injury coverage, property damage coverage and uninsured motorist coverage. In the event that a motorcycle accident results in only one person being injured, the motorcycle rider must have at least $25,000 of insurance coverage to cover the costs related to the bodily injury. If multiple people are injured in one accident, the motorcycle rider is required to have at least a $50,000 policy. In the event that an accident only results in property being damaged, the motorcycle rider's insurance policy must be able to cover at least $10,000. The required minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage is identical to the amount required for bodily injury
WA9FWT Phil

Read more: Wisconsin Motorcycle Insurance Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7163380_wiscon ... z2PMEUki2M

One more twist to Wisconsin Motorcycle Insurance.

Liability:

Under Wisconsin law, anyone who is injured as a result of a motorcycle accident in which he was not at fault must sue, or seek compensation, from the guilty party's insurance company directly. This law is unusual, as most states require the victim to sue the responsible party rather than the insurance company. But Wisconsin also has a law, known as the contributory negligence law, that places limitations on who can sue someone's insurer. Under the guidelines of the contributory negligence law, a person can have his insurance company sued only if he is at least 50 percent responsible for the accident. If the injured party is 51 percent guilty or more, the injured party may not sue.

WA9FWT Phil

Read more: Wisconsin Motorcycle Insurance Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7163380_wiscon ... z2PMHZjB90

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 am

In Oz, just for comparison, all vehicles registered for road use must have Third Party Insurance. It is usually applied as part of the registration fee, and is designed to cover all people that may be injured as the result of a vehicle incident. If a multiple vehicle collision occurs, and one of the vehicles is not registered, then the compulsory insurance still covers the injured. This is done by having a legal entity called "the Nominal Defendant".

The only trouble with this type of insurance is that the driver of the vehicle is not covered, so in a single vehicle accident, the driver will be liable for all medical expenses, plus , plus, plus!

In the case of the driver of an unregistered vehicle, they are likely to attract two charges - one of driving unregistered, and the other (carrying a higher penalty) of driving without Third Party Insurance. This is considered a serious road offence.

There is a move in this State of South Australia to have everyone covered regardless, but to limit the amount of "pain and suffering" damages that may accrue. This is intended to provide medical and rehabilitation cover to all of those injured, without worrying who was at fault. There are some attractions to this model, but the downside is that there is a minimum, and if you break a leg and cannot perform your work as "Street Walker", then it is bad luck as you will only get your initial treatment and no allowance for time off work.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”