High-visibility gear

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links

Do you wear high-visibility gear? Why or why not?

Yes, always
37%
Sometimes, maybe on long-distance rides
19%
I own it, but never or almost never wear it
6%
Never thought about it, don't own any
11%
I'll probably buy some next time I buy new gear
26%
Never. It's ugly and/or unnecessary
No votes

Total votes: 62

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

High-visibility gear

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:26 pm

(you must log in to your account before you can vote in the poll)

It's unbearably ugly. Yet you can't dispute the fact that it works, very well. High-visibility motorcycle gear is here to stay, and it is making more inroads every day.

High-visibility jacket
High-visibility jacket

I can't count the number of times my eye has been caught by a neon green or orange jacket being worn by a motorcyclist. For that fact alone, you know it's working. Anything that draws the attention of blind-to-motorcyclist-drivers is a good thing. So why doesn't everyone wear it?

In Canada, it's quite common to see people wearing high-viz gear. In the UK, I very rarely (if ever) see a motorcyclist not clad in neon green with reflective stripes. So why is the US still clad in near-invisible black "biker leather?"

Are we so vain that we can't get past the obvious safety gain? Or do we just not care?

Incidentally, I count myself in this group. Last fall I bought a new Olympia jacket. The jacket was available in a neon green color, and when I looked at it, my wife nearly had a fit. I ended up with the more-spousally-acceptable grey (still with reflective striping and piping, however).

So what do you think? Post your results, and add your comments!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: High-visibility gear

Postby Mag » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 pm

My hi- visibility is...
- Winter - a Tourmaster Black and Silver/White with reflective piping....it actually shows up really well though not as shocking as the hi-light yellow that some clothing is...
- Summer - I do wear chaps most of the time, and yes, they are black. I also have a black leather vest. My summer jackets are tye dye hoodies. I have a blue one and a yellow/orange/red one. I get comments about them all the time that this is not biker-wear, but the cages that I talk to say they see me for sure more than the straight black attire most bikers wear.

Not bad, and I get to keep my tye dye (more on that regarding my boy with Autism....he digs the color also)

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Postby smilam » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:38 pm

My wife and I are starting to look at new gear and hi-vis jackets are going to be looked at. She had open heart surgery in Feburary and is on blood thinners now. In the past our summer gear has been T-shirts, jeans, and boots, and winter gear has been black leather. Now I am looking to get us both all weather jackets with the armor mesh, water proof, winter liners, and either reflective piping or hi-vis colors. I do think that our white bike with headlight and brake light modulators shows up pretty well but I guess I want to increase that visibility if possible and protect her from road rash if an accident were to happen.
If anybody wants to recomend a good sturdy jacket that is comfortable and holds up well to abrasion I would be interested in checking them out.
Thanks
Steve

seeberluca
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Postby seeberluca » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:42 am

I wear this during the summer and My modular helmet has a OEM flurescent inserts for the night ride.
Attachments

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 am

I just ordered a high-vis jacket from the GWRRA store - gotta be proactive to be safe....
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby DetroitWingnut » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:34 am

When riding my bicycle, always wear high visibility gear, as well as a helmet. Is the norm. Now that I've bought a Goldwing, will need to buy some new HV gear; gotta admit I was looking at black leather jackets just the other day, though!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:43 am

I am guilty of never even considering Hi Vis gear. I have acquaintances who wear it, but everything I own is low vis and discrete. I have never been one to purposely draw the attention of Police - and as a result, other motorists. I ride as if my life depends on it, and I am still alive. I do, however, recognize the fact that I am remiss in my thinking. I shall strive to do better, and may even allow my gaze to pass over some of the Hi Vis crappy looking green stuff. (looks like slime solidified)

Well, it's a start, isn't it? Perhaps next year. :D

Sad thing????? I won two Hi Vis vests last year at our multi chapter rally, and I passed them on as giveaways in our chapter annual rally. :oops: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 am

Years ago, before I owned a Goldwing, I bought a Olympia Voyager jacket in the Hi-Viz orange. I really like it and have had people say how bright the jacket is. My brother says I look like a road cone on wheels. He's such a comedian. I prefer it to the Hi-Viz yellow/green colour. What jacket I wear on the Goldwing depends on the weather but most time it is the Olympia. On my KLR I sometimes wear a Black jacket but have recently started wearing a hi-viz flagger type cotton vest over it. I've been cut off a few times on my KLR. I wish Olympia would bring back the Hi-viz orange.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Kevin Ball
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Postby Kevin Ball » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 am

In the UK, I very rarely (if ever) see a motorcyclist not clad in neon green with reflective stripes.--------well I am in the UK and don't recall ever seeing a biker wrapped up in neon green, I mean, really, it would clash like anything with my Candy Spectra Red Wing, and to be honest, if a cager can't see my wing with all the lights ablaze, they shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

gemotra
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Postby gemotra » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 am

This gear is undeniably garish but, having been rear-ended in broad daylight while stopped in traffic, I've come to the view that there's no such thing as too much visibility. As other readers may know, the motorway police in England wear a high-viz Sam Browne rig over their ballistic jackets. I've adoped that as my compromise and find it particularly effective for night riding.

cfennell1832
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2007 1800GL

Postby cfennell1832 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I have bright yellow rain gear that I wear for rain (of course) or when it's cold out, I do like the color of the jacket shown and would wear it if I had it, since I'm trying to get back on my bike for in town riding, I think I will need one of these.
Where are you getting these ? Is there a company that only does these ?

fred hendrickson
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 a

Postby fred hendrickson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi vis gear may be ugly,but I still use it . I am to damm old to be vain

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Kevin Ball wrote:In the UK, I very rarely (if ever) see a motorcyclist not clad in neon green with reflective stripes.--------well I am in the UK and don't recall ever seeing a biker wrapped up in neon green, I mean, really, it would clash like anything with my Candy Spectra Red Wing, and to be honest, if a cager can't see my wing with all the lights ablaze, they shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

I have to disagree - I am IN the UK right now, and while out driving today, I saw at least 10-12 bikers. All but two of them had the neon green-reflective stripe gear on. The two that did not were attempting the US biker look - cruisers (one even with ape hanger handlebars!) and black leather.

I also saw a line of eight police motorcyclists sitting on an overpass, all in their neon green (Burnley FC had a home game).

kc8cta
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby kc8cta » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:25 pm

I just bought my first Hi Viz mesh coat from First Gear. I will be wearing it once I can get the bike out. We had snow flurries this morning.

Andy
Andy
'04 GL1800

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 pm

fred hendrickson wrote:Hi vis gear may be ugly,but I still use it . I am to damm old to be vain

Old Fred nailed it. I'm too damned old to be vain. I have been looking at some hi/vis gear but it's hard for me to compare apples to apples. Looking at the Tourmaster website will make you dizzy. I'm looking for something that will be waterproof without putting a liner over it, but still be vented enough for South Texas summers. I don't think such a jacket exists.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 pm

I have been looking Hi-vis gear and finally decided on the Olympia 3in1 in yellow. I ride 50 miles each way to work and always leave when it's still dark. I know my wing lights up like a Christmas tree but at least with the yellow I won't blend with all the other lights. I have worn the hi-vis for years in industry and it does work. I'm so used to it that I no longer think it.It has become commonplace in most industry here and all construction sites

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I bought Hi-vis yellow/green with reflective stripes at the Wingding last year (Speedtec by 6th Gear Motorcycle wear) It has the mesh jacket with the protective pads, a waterproof/windbreaker, and a insulating liner for both my wife and myself. We like the thought of being seen. Before that I used to wear one of those Hi-vis mesh vests over my jacket for under twenty dollars it's an easy inexpensive way to be seen with your black leather.

kimatthews
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby kimatthews » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:27 pm

I learned early on that higher visibility gear makes the ride much more enjoyable. From my first white helmet ( the only one that fit at the time, fortunately ) which I outfitted with retro-reflective stripes of tape which I acquired from the section which maintains the pilot's helmets to my big yellow GL1800, I find that when others see me, I have a better ride. I can tell when someone pulling out of a driveway or side street see's me when their car's nose dives as they hit the brakes.
I don't care how I look - I don't have to see me :-)

Jerry40
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 GL 2007 navi,airbag,xenon,led denní světla.

Postby Jerry40 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:15 am

Hi I am from Europe Czech Republic and here are starting to use a lot of reflxní jackets and well fungují.Možná it looks weird when riding biker on a Harley and be reflective vest, but I think that here in Europe where there is a lot of traffic outside the city really It pays to ride with reflective elements. Well, the city would have ever gone before without reflective jackets. That is my opinion. Hi Jerry 40th I'm sorry I can not use English translator.

rfsteph105
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby rfsteph105 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm

I do wear high vis gear. As a retired deputy sheriff, I know the importance of being seen. I have had a couple of close calls not seeing a motorcyclist while responding to calls but am very thankful they were wearing
high vis. gear because that was the only reason I had seen them in time. Doen't look very pleasing but it will save your life.

1CheeseLouise
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 am

I ride as if I am invisible and no one can see me. Nice that the GW has a loud horn to scare them awake now and then. I don't bother with garish visibility. It doesn't matter when cell phone/textors are oblivious to their surroundings. If you can't see my bright blue "baby elephant" in the middle of the road, my jacket color probably won't make that much difference.

SgtCharlie
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade in "Plum Crazy" Purple

Postby SgtCharlie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

As Active Duty Military, I am required to wear a bright green or orange vest with reflective silver at all times (as well as over-the-ankle boots, long pants, long sleeves and a helmet) which can all suck at times when it gets really hot down here in El Paso, TX. But overall, I don't mind the green vest, but I think that my air-horn as saved my life many more times than my reflective Hi-Viz vest. That and the fact that my bike is a purple blur at night!
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

SgtCharlie

Postby SgtCharlie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm

LOL, I forgot full-fingered gloves~! :lol:
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

SgtCharlie

Postby SgtCharlie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm

seeberluca wrote:I wear this during the summer and My modular helmet has a OEM flurescent inserts for the night ride.

I've been looking for that helmet and can't find it. I'd love to get one like that and since mine is getting a little old and banged up, it would be a great eye catcher going to work early in the morning at "Oh-Dark-Thirty".
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 am

SgtCharlie wrote:
seeberluca wrote:I wear this during the summer and My modular helmet has a OEM flurescent inserts for the night ride.

I've been looking for that helmet and can't find it. I'd love to get one like that and since mine is getting a little old and banged up, it would be a great eye catcher going to work early in the morning at "Oh-Dark-Thirty".

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/shark-evoli ... 14350.html

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”