What to look for?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
j.trevorperry
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

What to look for?

Postby j.trevorperry » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi everyone, new to the forum here. I purchased my baby (1982 GL1000 Interstate) about 8 years ago in Florida, put a few small dollars into her to restore her from a neglectful owner and she ran great. I unfortunately moved to NY 2 years ago and had to put the bike in a storage unit resulting in myself being a neglectful owner. I'm flying down there on April 15th, renting a Penske truck, and bringing the bike home. A couple questions:

1. What are a couple things I should look for/at before moving or trying to start the engine?

2. I stored the bike on reserve tank and disconnected the battery. I'm assuming the carburetor might be a little gummed up. Can I cause any harm to the bike by putting clean gas with some Seafoam and turning the engine over?

I thought I had more than that but I guess not. For the inevitable question: Why would I spend more money recovering the bike than the market value of it? Was the very first motorcycle I ever loved as a child and first bike I ever owned.

Anyway, I'm glad to find this forum. Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure I'm going to be needing in the near future. I have to get ready for riding in the beautiful Adirondacks of NY.

JT

"It is what it is - another day in paradise."
I'm not one to preach, but when you do what I do and see what I've seen, enjoy everyday as it's your last and to the fullest because you never know.......

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Re: What to look for?

Postby Pam » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 pm

I would change the oil, and make sure the battery is fully charged, put fresh fuel in and give it a health dose of sea foam and see what happens. If it was running when you stored it, it should run again. Hopefully the carbs aren't to bad

j.trevorperry

Postby j.trevorperry » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:30 pm

I can't tell you how much I would love that to be all is needed. Thank you for the reply!
I'm not one to preach, but when you do what I do and see what I've seen, enjoy everyday as it's your last and to the fullest because you never know.......

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Drain the tank as much as you can, also pop the drain screws on the float bowls to drain the carbs. Fill the tank with fresh gas and half a can of seafoam and hopefully she'll start. Let it run long enough to get the seafoam into the carbs and let it sit a few hours to clean them out. It may or may not work, but it's worth a try before yanking them for a rebuild. Change the fuel filter after the first tank of gas. Also do the oil like mentioned before.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 pm

I'd look for the missing 100. 1982 was an 1100. :P
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 am

To your book value question, does it really matter? I was in the show car circuit for a number of years. One thing that many knew was that the amount of $ that anyone put into their cars had little to do with what it was worth in many cases. It was about what you had and wanted it to be. The same goes for other categories of things collectable.

If you are more worried about resale value than your enjoyment, I'd advise keeping it on the cheap or just selling it all together. When I restored the '80 KZ750 LTD, I definitely have a bit more into it than it is worth marketplace wise. The '77 GL1000, not really, but just by virtue of the fact of I had more to work with from the start than the Kawasaki. Also, it tends to be a matter of how much one can do by themselves and how much has to be farmed out. Also, if one needs help doing anything, whether they have anyone to depend on friend wise to assist or if they have to pay someone to do whatever needed done makes a big difference. Unfortunately, I have nobody really to call on myself other than my one son for some things if it's over his or my pay grades. Others are more fortunate. Hopefully, you are one of those few.

It's not always cheaper to keep her. But, if it's what you want to have and it makes you smile, you can't put a price on that.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 am

It sounds like the bike has been under cover or inside all it's life, first thing I would do is change out the timing belts $55 a set max, some guys find these way cheaper, Oil is about $30 or so, new filter another $30 or so, probably much less,[ I always over estimate], new battery $100 new tires $230 set..Your not going to need a new carb kit...Just clean them up..So for around $445 max your bike should be like new again..Is this worth it to you? How much do you really enjoy riding?

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:56 pm

As far as what needs to be done, pretty much been said already. But, I will add that within reason (your financial capability), if it is a bike you love, always wanted, then it is difficult to put a price on it, just like classic cars.....I have done two things that the vast majority of people would strongly consider having me committed for doing. Both involve things with motors...I have nearly 30k in a converted 42 army jeep into a Philippine Jeepney (google it if you don't know what they are). WHY?? because I fell in love with them when I was 18 arriving for a tour of duty thee in the Navy. did 3 tours with extensions thee and tried everything I could think of to get one back and cold not. Found one from a car collector here, bought it and made it street legal. There are only half dozen in the USA that run and less that are street legal. Crazy yes, Happy yes. The 2nd is a 75 Goldwing....My first wing was a 75 bought in 75.. I would still have it if it had not been stolen...I now have another one I am rebuilding.....cheap, no, worth it to me, yes, happy yes. My point...you only live once...do what makes you happy when you can. You may never get a chance a 2nd time.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I saw both of the machines mentioned above by twostrokes and that Jeepney thing is really something.. It's so colorful and it would be a eye catcher for sure.. the 75 he has needs some work but I think he will get it done....Good luck with whatever you decide... :D

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Oh, the fond memories of traveling in the back of an open-air Jeepney. :D That was THE only way to see the P.I., CHEAP travel, too...
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

j.trevorperry

Postby j.trevorperry » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 am

seabee_ wrote:Drain the tank as much as you can, also pop the drain screws on the float bowls to drain the carbs. Fill the tank with fresh gas and half a can of seafoam and hopefully she'll start. Let it run long enough to get the seafoam into the carbs and let it sit a few hours to clean them out. It may or may not work, but it's worth a try before yanking them for a rebuild. Change the fuel filter after the first tank of gas. Also do the oil like mentioned before.

I'm also a seafoam cheerleader. The 2 tanks of gas, 2 bottle of seafoam, new oil, new filters, a few hours of idle 3,000 sitting and the bike is purring like a kitten!!!

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”