Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800 Trike

Postby jrwill1234 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:31 pm

I am new to riding a Goldwing Trike, when riding on a road that has a lot of manholes in the middle of the road, do I want to ride over them with my front tire or try to go around and hit them with my back left or right tire?

Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Manholes

Postby Sally » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't really know sorry.But I wanted to chime in.With all the techknowlegly out there why is it we can put a man on the moon send bombs down a stove pipe make it rain and we can make a pot hole cover even with the road ?? they seem to be two inches high or an inch low or some there in between> Sally :lol:

Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Don't know about a trike, but I would guess that the rear might be more robust in strength. :mrgreen:

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 am

Well, I dunno if it really matters to the bike. I know, if I can avoid a pothole with the front wheel, I will. That's as long as I do not have to do some crazy gyroscopic maneuver to do it. I would think that it would depend where on the roadway the manhole cover is, how deep or high it is, etc. If it is nice and even with the road, of course, it would not matter. Here in this town we have manholes in the left of the lane, the right of the lane, straddling the lane dividing line, everywhere, so we pretty much just pay attention all the time.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

JR, my experience with riding trike for the last 2 years I have found first if I can avoid a manhole without dodging too much or crossing lanes I will. Second, if I have to hit a manhole I try not to hit it with the front tire. Even tho it's almost impossible to kick up one, I sure don't want to do it with the front tire. After that it don't really matter which rear tire you hit it with. Good luck, ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “Goldwing Chat”