Hello from Phoenix, AZ - motorcycle cover recommendations

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
thebyrd99
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing

Hello from Phoenix, AZ - motorcycle cover recommendations

Postby thebyrd99 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

My dad no longer has time to ride his 2002 Honda Goldwing and said that I could have it. I just made the trip from Mexia, TX to Phoenix. The weather was just incredible. Several spots with very high winds along I-20 and I-10 which had me slow down a bit, but the ride was a great way to break in to the new bike. Being in the tech industry, I have found this forum and greatly appreciate all those that run it as well as those folks that contribute. I have a lot to learn. Now to my questions and request for input.

The sun is brutal in Phoenix. I would like some recommendations for a motorcycle cover that will fit the 2002 Goldwing. A search on these forums produced one hit - Covermax Deluxe Motorcycle Cover from motorcycle-superstore.com

My own google search brought me to http://www.justmotorcyclecovers.com/motorcycle-covers/ has anyone ordered from this company? Any comments? I was thinking of getting the Guard Series 5L.

Secondly, I need to source a trustworthy Honda Service location in Phoenix. I can fix/repair any computer but anything like cars or motorcycles I have to leave it to the pros.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Hello from Phoenix, AZ - motorcycle cover recommendation

Postby themainviking » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:39 pm

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thebyrd99

Postby thebyrd99 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm

I was looking for something more portable but that would be a great investment at home, if I can get the home owner association to agree to allow it to be installed. Nice to know those bike barns exist. free up some space in the garage for the other car and still protect the bike.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 am

Hi, TB. We will be moving from Michigan to Queen Creek this Fall. We will close on our new house early next month and will actually move when Da Boss can retire. If you don't mind my asking, what part of Phoenix are you located in?

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

thebyrd99

Postby thebyrd99 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 am

We live in Ahwatukee, off Chandler Blvd and I-10. It is known as East Valley area, even though it located on the SouthWest side of Phoenix. We moved here 2 years ago from Virginia.

I can tell you this, my wife is from Ishpeming. You will be delighted to know that there is a Cornish Pasty Company here in town that we go to about every other week, if you like Pasties. We used to get them ordered in from lowreys every year when we lived in Virginia. I just assume that everyone from MI knows/loves Pasties.

If you are in to Bike Rallies, there is an annual AZ Bikeweek around April. http://www.azbikeweek.com/. Several places offer specials during the week. Before my friend moved, we tried to hit every single one. Up at the fairgrounds, you could test ride the Spyder three wheeled bikes and visit several vendors. That is the part where you would need to purchase a ticket. They had live bands too.

If you have not been here before, you will quickly learn that in the summer, if your seat is black, you will need to keep something handy to drape over the seat as it will heat up pretty quick. Temps get up to 115.

When you guys make it to town, if I'm available and you need anything at all, just let me know. Computers are my hobby. I can definitely help in that department with all things computers. If you are moving yourself, I can help unload too.

I am always up for a ride.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am

Sounds great. I'll PM you so as not to bore the other fine folks here. :lol:

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

First, welcome to the forum....Not sure what the best cover is, I have had about 4 different ones but didn't buy any of them, they came with the bikes when I bought them. I can tell you I would stay away from the light nylon that are cheap to purchase...You get what you pay for to a degree. I have seen some of those $10-20 ones and they are junk. So look at the better quality ones. Also make sure it has the cotton covered area for the windshield as others will scratch hell out of a shield especially if it is out in the wind where there is constant movement. It will make your shield look like you went after it with a brillo pad.

I have passed through Phoenix at least once every year for the past few years. If I make it in that area again this year, maybe can stop and visit. It is usually an overnight spot for me anyway.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:09 am

+1 on what twostrokes48 said, you get what you pay for on the cheap end. the cloth liner for the windshield is a must. look for one in your price range that has good uv protection for your area. don't have to be heavy to work,but flexible enough not to be stiff. water resistant would be nice to,but maybe not much of that where you are. if needed can always spray with water proofer when it wears off.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 am

Also make sure it has the cotton covered area for the windshield as others will scratch hell out of a shield especially if it is out in the wind where there is constant movement. It will make your shield look like you went after it with a brillo pad.

What about a pillow case for the windscreen? You may have to make it a bit wider, but should not be too difficult. That way you can have the protection when you are not riding.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:38 pm

That pillow case idea may be a winner. Especially if I make a trip to the fabric store and pick up something like felt and have the wife sew one up that will slip right over.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”