Riding the young 'uns


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
sam6942
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am
Location: Honolulu, Youknowwhere
Motorcycle: Grandpa's 1980 GL1100
1979 Yamaha XS1100

Riding the young 'uns

Postby sam6942 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:26 am



Now, I'm not trying to start a huge debate over this... but my 5yo has been bothering me about riding with me for a couple of years (yes, since he was old enough to think that every motorcycle on the road was daddy..) and I just realized that WA's min age is 5 - I thought it was 7. Now, my grandpa used to ride me on the (false) tank but apparently SWMBO looked it up and it's frowned upon if not actually illegal. Obviously passengers go on the back, but I would (as I'm sure Grampa did) feel more secure about him up front where I can hold on to him...

Now here's trouble: Thoughts?


If a light sleeper sleeps lighter with a light on, does a hard sleeper sleep harder with a hard on?

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:32 pm

sam6942 wrote: Obviously passengers go on the back, but I would (as I'm sure Grampa did) feel more secure about him up front where I can hold on to him...


I'm interested in hearing how you'd hold onto him; I'm usually using BOTH hands while riding!
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
sam6942
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am
Location: Honolulu, Youknowwhere
Motorcycle: Grandpa's 1980 GL1100
1979 Yamaha XS1100

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby sam6942 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 pm

My hands were on the bars, inside of the controls, or on the grips under his hands. But I was sitting between his arms and legs- he was holding on to me.
If a light sleeper sleeps lighter with a light on, does a hard sleeper sleep harder with a hard on?

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:00 pm

sam6942 wrote:My hands were on the bars, inside of the controls, or on the grips under his hands. But I was sitting between his arms and legs- he was holding on to me.


Sounds fun. Safe to assume this is "private, off road use only"?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
Mag
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Silverlake, WA
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby Mag » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Hmmm, I would think riding up front is more dangerous. Your focus should be controlling the bike, not the boy. And I would think his helmet would get in the way.

Do you have armrests for passengers? That way you can sorta wedge him in. For now, 5 years old, ride around the neighborhood block. My boy started when he was 10, and all I heard in my ear was "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

User avatar
sam6942
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am
Location: Honolulu, Youknowwhere
Motorcycle: Grandpa's 1980 GL1100
1979 Yamaha XS1100

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby sam6942 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm

SteveB123 wrote:Sounds fun. Safe to assume this is "private, off road use only"?


Nope, we'd go to lunch like that.


And Mag, no arm rests. My XS11 trunk brackets go out a ways from the seat and work for OS handles, though. Also half thought about using a ratchet strap as a seat belt... :mrgreen:
If a light sleeper sleeps lighter with a light on, does a hard sleeper sleep harder with a hard on?

User avatar
golden highway
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:23 am
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby golden highway » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Around the block he will probably hang on for the fun ride, longer and he will probably fall asleep. I would and have tied them to the backrest. A friend of mine used his belt to tie his son the the back rest after a long day fishing knowing his son would not be able to stay awake. I was always worried about my daughter (who was older) falling asleep on longer trips since I couldn't drive around the block in the car without her falling asleep. She never did. I asked her about my concern and she said she never even gets tired on the bike.

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:46 pm

sam6942 wrote:Now, I'm not trying to start a huge debate over this... but my 5yo has been bothering me about riding with me for a couple of years


Well, then, the solution is easy!
Tell the child no.

Problem solved.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:15 am

Mag wrote: My boy started when he was 10, and all I heard in my ear was "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

That was so funny :D
How lucky was he, I felt like that on the back of my old mans Lambretta which I dreamed of having as soon as I was old enough, mirrors and all. Then a cousin came around and took me out on his Norton Commando and changed my life forever. I remember it and his bomber jacket as if it were yesdterday, it was sort of AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH and OOOHHHHH MMMYYYYYY GOOOOOOD.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 am

LegsandaWing wrote:
Mag wrote: My boy started when he was 10, and all I heard in my ear was "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

That was so funny :D
How lucky was he, I felt like that on the back of my old mans Lambretta which I dreamed of having as soon as I was old enough, mirrors and all. Then a cousin came around and took me out on his Norton Commando and changed my life forever. I remember it and his bomber jacket as if it were yesdterday, it was sort of AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH and OOOHHHHH MMMYYYYYY GOOOOOOD.



So you started out wanting to be a Mod, and then changed to a Rocker? 8-)
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 am

sam6942 wrote: Now, my grandpa used to ride me on the (false) tank but apparently SWMBO looked it up and it's frowned upon if not actually illegal.


Quite illegal.

RCW 46.61.610
Riding on motorcycles.

A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator. However, the motorcycle must contain foot pegs or be equipped with an additional bucket seat and seat belt meeting standards prescribed under 49 C.F.R. Part 571 for each person such motorcycle is designed to carry.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.610
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
BigDee
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby BigDee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Here's what it says just south of you: Oregon says "Operators may not transport or carry any object that interferes with their ability to hold the handlebars.
If a motorcycle operator carries a passenger, the motorcycle must have a passenger seat and footrests. Passengers are only permitted to ride on a passenger seat behind the operator or in a side car. Passengers are required to wear DOT-compliant motorcycle helmets.
There are no requirements for passenger age or size in Oregon. However, operators should use good judgment. Passengers should be large enough to reach the footrests, strong enough to hold on securely and mature enough to follow directions and behave predictably." This from the Team-Oregon website. http://team-oregon.org/resources/motorcyclelaws/
He who throws dirt loses ground!

User avatar
Mag
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Silverlake, WA
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby Mag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 pm

BigDee wrote:Here's what it says just south of you: Oregon says "Operators may not transport or carry any object that interferes with their ability to hold the handlebars.
If a motorcycle operator carries a passenger, the motorcycle must have a passenger seat and footrests. Passengers are only permitted to ride on a passenger seat behind the operator or in a side car. Passengers are required to wear DOT-compliant motorcycle helmets.
There are no requirements for passenger age or size in Oregon. However, operators should use good judgment. Passengers should be large enough to reach the footrests, strong enough to hold on securely and mature enough to follow directions and behave predictably." This from the Team-Oregon website. http://team-oregon.org/resources/motorcyclelaws/


Good ol' Oregon, way to make everyone think and evaluate if it makes sense.

User avatar
foots
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Port Barre, LA
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 - current
1998 Valkyrie - current
2008 GSX650F - current
1986 V65 Magna - gone
1980 CB750C - sold
1981 XS850 - sold

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby foots » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 am

One of my early and bestest childhood memories is riding with my dad on his orange Honda CL360. We lived in Baker, LA and would ride to Port Barre, which was over an hour's ride, often going 70 mph. He had his red metalflake helmet and I had a silver one 8-) 8-) 8-) . This was around '81 or so when I was a little under 4 years old. I still smile every time I think about those early rides. My opinion Sam6942 is take him riding so he can experience that quality time with you and that 2 wheel thrill that will last a lifetime.

User avatar
sam6942
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am
Location: Honolulu, Youknowwhere
Motorcycle: Grandpa's 1980 GL1100
1979 Yamaha XS1100

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby sam6942 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 am

Oh, I plan on it, foots. The only question is front or back...
If a light sleeper sleeps lighter with a light on, does a hard sleeper sleep harder with a hard on?

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 am

sam6942 wrote:Oh, I plan on it, foots. The only question is front or back...


Have you found him a helmet yet?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
Mag
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Silverlake, WA
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Riding the young 'uns

Postby Mag » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

My first memory was riding with my dad
- First in front up and down the court
- Second on back as soon as we decided for little bit longer trips

He had a Honda 300 or something like that, it was back in the '70s. He used to ride it from Walnut Creek, CA to Oakland because they could not afford a 2nd car at the time. He would ride that bike rain or shine....that was his last bike, then he caged after that. I had a little 700 Shadow for a time, I remember him throwing his leg over that and took off for a quick jaunt, all I saw was a smile ;)




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot] and 3 guests