I Went To The Dark Side

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

I Went To The Dark Side

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Some of you may consider my current purchase a trip to the Netherworld. No, it is not going to affect either my ownership of the GL 1000 or my enjoyment of it. The Kawasaki is now going to my son.

I'm taking delivery Wednesday of a 2007 Harley Davidson XL1200C Sportster. Yes, I went and did it, bought a Hog!

It's real nice, well cared for, metallic red, hard leather look saddlebags, windshield, backrest, engine guard. Actually, you cannot tell it from new on examination. Tires with nearly new tread, not a scratch anywhere, blacked out engine which actually looks really neat. And one of the best things, the wife liked this one the best out of the four I was looking at. 12,000 miles. And got it for about $600 under retail book from a Harley dealer.

I would have looked at something like a Softail, which I always liked, but the cost was an issue. This one is plenty big enough and powerful. The wife was comfortable on the back and that is important to me. She did comment on the traditional Harley rumble at idle and she will just have to get used to that.

I've already been prowling the shop for what I can get for it. I'm definitely going to have to learn restraint.

I'll post some pix after I pick it up.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: I Went To The Dark Side

Postby redial » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 am

That's not what most of us think of as "The Dark Side", but you and Darth Vader should have a good time swapping. Congratulations on your new HD, shame you had to stoop so low, but we all have to do what we have to do. How is your new job going?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 am

Thanks, Len...I think. All I can say is that one thing is off of my bucket list.

The job is going ok. The guy that is working temporarily as general manager is driving us all nuts and homicide isn't totally out of the question, but overall, it's good. The only thing that gets regularly frustrating are the guys that come for parts for home brewed custom builds. It's so hard to figure out what they need for whatever they are doing on it and they want it to be perfect and that's a tall order when you are building a bike from scratch. I spent nearly an hour Saturday with one of these budding Jesse James wannabees looking for the perfect rear fender. He finally found one to fabricate with, and then qualmed about price. I wanted to strangle him. Goes with the territory, I guess.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu May 02, 2013 6:21 am

Here it is.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am

Congrats, that's a nice looking bike.
When you mentioned 'Dark Side' I was thinking a car tire for your GL1000. :lol:
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Mr Firearms, what you did is perfectly natural, and not a Dark Venture at all. I personally came the other direction, from Harley riding to having a GL1800 for my main cruiser, but I kept my Harley Davidsons. You can never have enough motorcycles, not matter the brand. The only thing I do not understand is why you bought a girls bike - Hawwwwwww, har, har, hahahaha, snork, wheeze.

Sorry - Just kidding bout that, but I could not resist. We have always said that to sportster riders, even they are much better in the twisties than big twins. Ride her like you stole her my friend.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu May 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Instead of just "going to the darkside" I figure it is always good to have a VTwin in the stable. Granted, I really like riding that wing, but there is really something about a VTwin. I am partial to the Vulcans since I owned one (forgot to put it on my list) and the Vulcan Nomads are really nice. Hmmmm maybe maybe maybe....but up here for now, the GW is my mount, and I am really ok with anyone on any bike, as long as they are smiling.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri May 03, 2013 6:16 am

Girl's bike, Viking? I got your girl's bike right here!!!! ;)

I have to say, after putting some miles on it, I'm kinda impressed more than I expected to be. The bike runs flawlessly, handles very well and is comfortable overall. It weighs in just under 600 lbs. and can be thrown around pretty easily. One thing that has taken getting used to are the forward controls installed by the previous owner. You want to plant your feet straight down after getting rolling and there's nothing there! Hard to reprogram oneself after years of riding. Still, the position your find your body in seems a lot more comfortable as to riding position and there's a lot of strain on the lower back that disappears. The more I ride it, the more I like them. They take the place of highway pegs to a significant degree while containing your shifter and rear brake, if anyone is unfamiliar with what they are.

This power plant is one of the EFI models and they definitely got their act together in Milwaukee on this setup. The Road King I used when I was on the job was the first injected bike I ever rode. Start up is smooth and quick once you wait the initial couple of seconds after turning the key for the system to pressurize. That's another thing needing to get used to, having to wait until the amber engine light goes out until you can hit the button and bring the bike to life. Apparently, this fuel system doesn't stay pressurized like an automotive system does where you can just get into your car and hit the key right away. No big deal. Throttle response is there right now, crisp and predictable, absolutely no lag at all. Yes, it's a more complicated setup and if something goes wrong, you do need a code reader (which has to be bought through a dealer, but is supposed to be relatively inexpensive. Haven't looked into one yet but am going to) as it's akin to an OBDII system in an automobile. No catalytic converter, thank God. Repair costs could be higher depending on the diagnosed problem, but not necessarily. In some ways repairs to the fuel and ignition systems could be much easier also and may be less frequent overall. It's not as complicated as I was afraid it may be when I perused the Clymers manual I already bought for it. A small ECM, throttle body, two injectors, a handful of sensors. It seems to be more simplistic than the one on my Ford truck and accomplishes the same thing. Some real good American engineering.

And I've always subscribed to a similar philosophy....it's not what you ride, rather whether or not you ride.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 am

wjnfirearms wrote:Girl's bike, Viking? I got your girl's bike right here!!!! ;)

And I've always subscribed to a similar philosophy....it's not what you ride, rather whether or not you ride.

Hawwwwwww, thanks for the comeback Firearms.... good reaction. :lol:

And that really is what it's all about. 'If' not 'what'. What you ride don't matter. Face in the wind do matter.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 am

The fwd controls are very comfy, my knee always goes stiff when riding a long time, so anyway I can stretch my legs are definitely better. That is one issue with GW though I am really getting used to the fwd footrests that I have on this ride.

Funny how you say how nice it handles, though you have been used to a heavier bike for so long. Those Vtwins are easy to toss around, definitely even at 600-650 lbs.

And also agree...does not matter what you ride, it just matters that you do.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”