Just a While

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Just a While

Postby musinger » Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 am

It will be a while before I begin riding this season found out I have had carpol tunnel in both hands for over a year in half, a mistake a somemade reading a report put me down the wrong path to get my hands fixed now I pay the price to get my hands fixed and miss out on spring riding season in the spring here in Wisconsin. Even my Wife is out riding all ready :cry: but wait till next year I will be back :lol:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Just a While

Postby thrasherg » Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Be patient, you will be back on 2 wheels soon enough..

Gary

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed May 01, 2013 9:55 pm

I wonder if my hand falling asleep all the time is part of this for me.....no no no. My wife had the carpol tunnel surgery 2 years ago....took 6 months recovery, but her wrist is a lot better now. Unfortunately the next year (last year) was knee surgery for ACL tear, which then came up to be bad arthritis instead of the tear, which is even worse. So, if you go in for knee surgery in 2014....we know what it will be ;)

musinger
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 am

was told today could take 3 months to get full strength back in hands and a year for full sense's back in hands

rottiman
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

Postby rottiman » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Mag wrote:I wonder if my hand falling asleep all the time is part of this for me.....no no no. My wife had the carpol tunnel surgery 2 years ago....took 6 months recovery, but her wrist is a lot better now. Unfortunately the next year (last year) was knee surgery for ACL tear, which then came up to be bad arthritis instead of the tear, which is even worse. So, if you go in for knee surgery in 2014....we know what it will be ;)

Just when you think its the worst, it gets to be not so bad. Last June 1st had a total joint replacement on the left knee, got back on the bike mid july. New knee workin just fine. Two weeks ago had ligament surgery on my right hand. Back on the bike in 2 days. All is good. Stayu tough, it'll get better.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat May 18, 2013 12:56 am

Just think of it as "Car Pool" tunnel problems, and it will come good in time, when it is your turn to car pool. :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

musinger
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Sat May 18, 2013 8:01 am

Found out Friday 17, that HR never turned in carpol tunnel injury to corporate headquarters, I have beed living on flma ( half wages) for some time now). I had problem a year and a half ago and a neoluglist assit did the test, the doc read the report and said he did the test. he said something was wrong with my spine in the c5, c6, c7 area so workers comp dropped me ( not work related) on my own) so I did what was suggested and went threw some back tests nothing wrong there, another sugestion go to a rymoitiod arithitis doctor. She gave pills, injections, nothing seems to wrong hands just keep getting worse, she tells me she what to start at begining. and I tell her I have the test from the first neroruglist and she's sees it and said that this is not normal at all and sends me some were else for another test. That test show carpol, very highy levels this time caused by all the work I have done to them (10 hr days 6 days a week, I like chrome and supporting family), so I can no longer work, I have work my fingers to the bone. I bring the findings into HR at work I tell her I am taking FLMA to get hands fixed right now that I can not wait for insurance companies to hash this out and get back to on this, I give her proof of the injury and she did nothing with it I founf this out when I called asked her about my insurance only covering so much of work theorpy so I can get back into work. My friends inthis State of Wisconsin Carpol Tunnel IS a Work related injury they were going to cover me the first time around, they shound cover me this time, I am going to make a call to corparate on Monday and explain to them that this should have been reported bacl in Feburary 28 the first day I reported has carpol tunnel not has a back injury. and as for the first doctor looking at the paper work he was not in the room, I was there and my wife was in the room and he wrote he preformed the test, he did not>>> a techno did so he forged documents, I am see a lawyer a possible medical malpractice suit, pain suffing, all the wrong meds that went threw my body, LACK OF RIDE!!!!!!!!!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat May 18, 2013 11:02 am

The "lack of ride" is priceless....should be several zeroes on that one, lol. Gotta enjoy getting older for sure.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 am

1st - go see a certified massage therapist that can work on your hands/wrists to loosen the compression on the nerve bundles. Second - see a physical/occupational therapist that can give you exercises that will loosen the tightening inside the tunnels.Thirdly, you need to see a competent neurosurgeon to see whether the extent of the damage requires surgery. Recovery is long and surgery is not always successful. If you do surgery, make sure you do rehab. Otherwise, it is a big waste of time & money.
I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for years. Do my exercises daily, but still have some difficulty with hands falling asleep at the wheel. The exercises keep up the strength in my hands, so I can be sure I won't falter when hauling in the clutch or hitting the throttle. The hands may feel asleep, but be assured it is a nerve problem and not circulation. The nerves it affects are those that feel, not those that control muscle movement. Muscle strength can be another issue - the exercises help. I have been an ICU/Trauma nurse for more than a few years. Hope this info helps. Good Luck - Harp

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 am

I had my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome reduced in both hands ten years ago. I am super glad I had it done. I had one done and three weeks later when the bandages were all off the first one, I had the second one done. I did not miss a day of work over the period, although I could not use the hand that had just been operated on for about a week, for anything heavier than writing. Recovery consisted of squeezing Carpal Tunnel Sponges, and rubbing the scar to get it to decrease in size. It took probably two years to get full strength back in my hands, or as close to full as I will get, but I had about 60% as soon as the cuts healed up, and that combined with the fact that my hands no longer went dead made riding the following summer better than it had been in many years. I had it done December and January. For anyone wondering if they may possibly have this affliction, only the last three fingers on the hand should go dead when they do. The thumb and forefinger should not lose feeling. If all the fingers and in fact, the whole hand go numb, then the problem is further up the tendon sheath, even as far as to where the tendons attach at the spine. This would be tendonitis rather than Carpal Tunnel, and cannot be repaired the same way. It could also be a combination of the two, as it was with me. I had to give up riding a Milwaukee Vibrator and get a Goldwing because of the tendonitis, but I don't regret that either. We adapt. Good luck with your fight to have it done. It is worth it.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

musinger
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Sun May 19, 2013 10:46 am

I start workout theropy this Monday 20 for my hands, my son and wife help me remove rear wheel of wing to bring into my friend as to remove and replace rear tire so wing will be ready when I am ready. I want to be ready so I am following Doc's orders to the T and go back and see him in three weeks to see where my progress is in my strengthing. Thanks for the help need all I can get.

musinger
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 am

I just took the wing for a theorpy session and left hand is very sore I can only pull 20 lbs left hand, on their scale right hand 50lbs, guess I will stay off it for awhile longer and keep up with home works outs for both hands, it was pulling the clutch in that's takes the strength, if hand will not come back might have to build a hand shift with a foot clutch what do you all think about something like that? :roll:

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:01 pm

hope this is of some useful info for you

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carpal-tun ... tment.aspx
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

musinger
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Well I am back riding the wing finally, it took some time to heal. I have some catching up to do now so I took the wing to the the 110 Harley Celebration in Milwaukee, I got a couple of nice bike from the old Harley riders (they probably want there goldwing back, at least they know a good bike when they see one) well enough of this for now time to ride some more.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”