How much weight?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

How much weight?

Postby hap2 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:07 pm

About how many pounds can I pull with my 1992 1500SE? My little trailer's 2'5 ' high, 3' wide, & 4' long. Not sure what the tongue weight is, but each one of the tires on the trailer say 750 lbs maximum each.

Also, I'm 5'8, 180 lbs. If I ride solo (with or without the trailer), what should the rear air shock pressure be?

Thank you

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: How much weight?

Postby dingdong » Sun May 05, 2013 7:23 am

I know guys who regularly pull up to 500 lbs. Those who pull a loaded camper can get to near 500lbs easily. I pull around 300lbs trailer and gear. I also try to keep the tongue weight to about 10% of trailer weight. 300lbs pulls easily with no apparent handling problems.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun May 05, 2013 10:48 pm

when my tent trailer is fully loaded for a week or longer it tips the scales around 500 lbs with about 50lbs tongue weight. No problems even in the mountains. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 pm

How do y'all get the trailer weight? Do you take it to a truck weigh station? Can you weigh each wheel with a bathroom scale and add the results? Same with the tongue weight; bathroom scale OK? We are about to embark on our first long trailer trip.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 pm

seabeechief wrote:How do y'all get the trailer weight? Do you take it to a truck weigh station? Can you weigh each wheel with a bathroom scale and add the results? Same with the tongue weight; bathroom scale OK? We are about to embark on our first long trailer trip.

Chief

Trailer weight: Take the weight on the VIN label, add the weight of whatever you put in it. I suppose you could also do the trick with putting the bathroom scale under each wheel.

For my rig, it's fairly critical to get the tongue weight right about 30 lbs. Much lighter, and I get bounced all over on the bumps. Much heavier, and I get pushed around. 30 lbs is just about right. So I carry a small digital luggage scale with me, and hook it on the end of the trailer hitch, then make adjustments in the cargo area of the trailer to get it to 30 lbs. Once I've got it there, I hook it up to the bike.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun May 19, 2013 1:28 am

Any towed weight should not exceed the weight of the tug. And remember the stopping distance is a lot longer and slower once you put the weight behind.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun May 19, 2013 5:58 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
seabeechief wrote:How do y'all get the trailer weight? Do you take it to a truck weigh station? Can you weigh each wheel with a bathroom scale and add the results? Same with the tongue weight; bathroom scale OK? We are about to embark on our first long trailer trip.

Chief

Trailer weight: Take the weight on the VIN label, add the weight of whatever you put in it. I suppose you could also do the trick with putting the bathroom scale under each wheel.

For my rig, it's fairly critical to get the tongue weight right about 30 lbs. Much lighter, and I get bounced all over on the bumps. Much heavier, and I get pushed around. 30 lbs is just about right. So I carry a small digital luggage scale with me, and hook it on the end of the trailer hitch, then make adjustments in the cargo area of the trailer to get it to 30 lbs. Once I've got it there, I hook it up to the bike.

Do you use the 30 lbs regardless of the gross weight of the trailer?

Chief
Darkside #1609

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon May 20, 2013 6:23 am

With regard to the tongue weight, the rule of thumb should be no more than 10 percent of the total weight. Usually the maker of the tow bar (which is the thing attached to the strong points on the tug (just to get the terminology aligned)), or the vehicle manufacturer (but not usually motorcycle manufacturers), will advise you of the maximum towed gross weight and the weight on the towball.

Hope this clears the picture for you.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 23, 2013 6:48 am

seabeechief wrote:Do you use the 30 lbs regardless of the gross weight of the trailer?

Chief

That's with what I normally carry in the trailer - which isn't a whole lot, weight-wise. I haven't carried enough heavy stuff in the trailer (nor would I, I suspect) to make a substantial change in that. That said, I know the feelings it gives well enough when it is too heavy or too light on the tongue that I could probably identify if I did need to make an adjustment.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
seabeechief wrote:Do you use the 30 lbs regardless of the gross weight of the trailer?

Chief

That's with what I normally carry in the trailer - which isn't a whole lot, weight-wise. I haven't carried enough heavy stuff in the trailer (nor would I, I suspect) to make a substantial change in that. That said, I know the feelings it gives well enough when it is too heavy or too light on the tongue that I could probably identify if I did need to make an adjustment.

I bought a "luggage scale" at Wal Mart ($20) to check the tongue weight. It is a small, digital hand held scale that will fit easily in the trailer when it's not in use. The first try I got 36 lbs on the tongue weight. So, we will shuffle things around until I get 30 lbs or a little less. Then, we will give it the old test drive. I'm sure we will have to continually move things around, but that's OK. We are touring America on a motorcycle. It just don't get much better than that. Ride Safe!

Chief
Darkside #1609

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 pm

seabeechief wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
seabeechief wrote:I bought a "luggage scale" at Wal Mart ($20) to check the tongue weight. It is a small, digital hand held scale that will fit easily in the trailer when it's not in use. The first try I got 36 lbs on the tongue weight. So, we will shuffle things around until I get 30 lbs or a little less. Then, we will give it the old test drive. I'm sure we will have to continually move things around, but that's OK. We are touring America on a motorcycle. It just don't get much better than that. Ride Safe!

Chief

I wouldn't go with "30 lbs will be perfect" - your bike/trailer combination may like a different weight. I would start at maybe 28 lbs tongue weight and go upward bit by bit to see what gives you the best ride and handling (try at highway speeds, over bumps, and around corners - and around corners over bumps!).

Return to “Goldwing Chat”