OMG.... Where have I been???

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
squirts

OMG.... Where have I been???

Postby squirts » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 am

I "iron butt" my computer chair more than my bike these days (old age and too many miles on the personal odometer), and I am AMAZED that I have not seen this resource before! OMG, where have I been? What a resource! Thanks so much for making this available! I purchased my first wing after getting home from Uncle Sam's traveling road show in 1987... I spent fifty bucks for the factory service manual and have literally treated it like the "Goldwing Bible" ever since... The pages are worn, oily and some are missing; the spine is broken (like mine), and the condition leaves much to be desired, but I have worked to keep it mostly intact. Having this site as a resource is invaluable.... I'm showing my age now, but the youngsters today just don't know how the net has changed our lives. =) Thanks again for the resource.... Simply outstanding. =) Squirts
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: OMG.... Where have I been???

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 am

I love the picture - is that your bike, or a picture you found online?

Is it a 1000 or 1100? I think I'd worry about having the timing belts exposed like that - particularly the UV damage of sunlight on them.

squirts

Postby squirts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:49 am

Been awhile since I swung in... Tha' pic is my '80 wing from a few years back. She's changed a bit... Mainly blacker with flat paint coverin' up tha' rust :D , but I've gone to a jockey shift/ hand clutch since that post and 19" apes (MUCH more comfortable than tha' low bars I had). Tha' wing is still runnin' a Holley 2 barrel from a '54 Ford pick 'em up truck on a home-made intake. This is STILL a fantastic resource and I am glad I found you. Y'all take care out there. Respects, Squirts

[url]
http://www.htc.net/~squirts[/url] Squirts' Biker Page

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:01 pm

First off, Thank You Sir for your service, now to your Bike... Custom Man Custom I really really like that, and to have the cam covers off the front is wild and you painted the pullies red How cool is that, your bike kicks tail man.. And I love the bull-hit sign you have there.. haa :lol: aaahh I think I have seen your bike before somewhere...Maybe sometime you can get a photo of the carb and intakes when you have that tank cover off.. That would be so cool..

squirts

Postby squirts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words. =) I've been bikin' for close to 30 years now and I am (STILL) ate up with anything on two wheels :D . I got hooked on wings after I got back from bein' with Uncle Sugar back in tha' '80's. I bought my first wing (an '80 standard) using my credit card (of all things) and rode that bike all over the U.S.. I put almost 250,000 miles on that bike without ever having the carbs off (Folks think I'm full 'o bull, but it's tha' truth). I'd still be ridin' that ol' girl if'n I hadn't gotten lazy an let the oil get too low, eventually spinning a bearing. My current wing (the one above) is a combo of parts from my original wing, a wrecked wing and a donor bike. I bought the wrecked wing and donor from a guy up the road for $250.00 after the original owner ran into the back of a dumptruck killing himself. I got tired of fiddling with the carbs and built a home made intake using the stock airbox, some 1" nylon pieces and PVC pipe for intake runners. I figured at the time that if GM could make plastic intakes, then so could I. I believe I've had this intake set up on the bike now for about 6 years or so (I'd have to check my notes to be exact). The carb is a 2 bbl Holley 2110 "bug sprayer". Not the best carb in the world, but it works. I added the jockey shift for grins' n giggles. It took some getting use to at first, (push forward to upshift and backward to downshift) but I really like it now. Places like Goldwingdocs are invaluable for a guy like me who has more time than money. :D The wings may lack a certain "charisma" to some, but they are rock solid and I'll probably always have at least one in the stable. Take care out there and thanks again. Respects, Tom

Notice the "professional" way I moved the frame rail out of the way? I STRONGLY believe in the power of a big hammer, a roll of duct tape and a spool of bailing wire! :D

Back when it was "new"

Yep... PVC... It works!

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Man ... if this isn't the coolest thing I ever saw in my freakin life.. You're one cool ass dude man.. I love this stuff ...pvc are you kidding me... Your almost as crazy as I am.. No check that.. your way worse than me...Welcome again man, I hope we keep you around here.. :lol: :lol: :D :D Too cool man I didn't expect that.. 6 years it's held up??? ha ha ha man I'm dying here... :lol: later... Frankenbike ha ha I was gonna make one out of wood.. :lol: :lol: ok I had to gather myself, what is that white material the pvc goes into and on top for the carb..I'm so glad I asked about the intake and carb..

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm

I was wondering if that white material is called Corian...???

squirts

Postby squirts » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 am

littlebeaver wrote:I was wondering if that white material is called Corian...???

I honestly dunno... My neighbor, a long-time Harley rider, has a friend who has a friend... blah blah blah who came up with the stuff. They just called it "nylon". It's very sturdy stuff. I used a holesaw to make the cuts in the side plates for the PVC intake runners and it took awhile for the saw to bite through. I experimented with a thinner piece for the carb plate, but it warped under pressure once I bolted the carb to it. The 1" stuff works great, though. The only defects I have noticed in the "nylon" has been some cracking around the pressure points where bolts hold it to the plenum. I recently made new "plates" out of spare nylon to replace the stress-cracked plates. To date, the only problems Ive had with the set up have been the carb loading up at idle and some intake leaks. The loading up problem I can deal with and the intake leaks have been handled with a tube of blue RTV. (knock wood)... It's not a "install it and go" application, but if your'e even moderately handy with basic tools it's do-able and ,so far, dependable. Most importantly to me is that it's a cheap alternative to buying a carb set on eBay or buying a "professional" single carb intake. :D See ya, Tom

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 am

Well, I think it's brillant..Creative and cost effective...

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:02 pm

good looking bike , if it is'nt broke don't fix it , your creation you made from diff bikes makes it that much better , ride on

blackhawk22
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

Postby blackhawk22 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 pm

cool bike - helluva intake.

gilawalker
Motorcycle: 2001 Valkyrie standard black / silver

Postby gilawalker » Thu May 05, 2016 6:40 pm

hi

can you please, or anyone else, ............... give details re: specifics on parts used for conversion from stock foot shifter to jockey shifter as well as hand clutch to foot clutch. frickin carpal tunnel is a drag !!!

potential = 1984 wing to convert

thanks for your time

paul 8-)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”