Insurance - just gotta have it (just not all year)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE

Insurance - just gotta have it (just not all year)

Postby LDodge » Sun May 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi all --
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that has 6 month policies? Living in SW Wisconsin only gives me 6 (maybe 7) months of riding; all the companies I have called insist on selling me a 12 month policy and then charging me what amounts to two months to cancel the policy early.
Thanks
Lawrence

Meditation doesn't mean you are sitting still. Enjoy the open road and let the good LORD speak to you (even at 65+mph) ;)

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Insurance - just gotta have it (just not all year)

Postby Sally » Sun May 19, 2013 6:36 pm

I have progressive in NY they offer 6 months. I find I never cancel a years cheap enough besides if my bike falls over burns up or anything eles in the off season I'm covered. I did find out and this is strange. When I insured my second bike it was an old yamaha 750 my policy when down 40 bucks a year then I bought a moped and it went down another 10 bucks. I asked had something to do with multi vechicals.Full coverage on wing an liablty on others only 15 buck a month.Hell probably cost me more to cancel. Sally :ugeek:

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun May 19, 2013 11:04 pm

I am on a year policy with Progressive...$105 for the year, and it covers liability, basic coverage, no value on the bike (since I bought it so cheap, though I may change this...depending).

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon May 20, 2013 5:17 am

LDodge wrote:Hi all --
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that has 6 month policies? Living in SW Wisconsin only gives me 6 (maybe 7) months of riding; all the companies I have called insist on selling me a 12 month policy and then charging me what amounts to two months to cancel the policy early.
Thanks
Lawrence

As it was explained to me, it makes no difference really, or very little, in price to have a six month policy rather than a full year. In the areas where winter curtails riding, I was told that the one year policies are pro rated by how much riding you will do. For December and January there is no charge on the policy, for November and February, there is a 5% charge and for October and March a 10% charge, and by buying a full year you get a discount, so a full year costs perhaps 10% in total more than a half year would. Aside from that, in the U.S. the insurance rates are low enough as to not even be a consideration as to having the insurance. We pay about ten times the price up here and still have to fight with our insurance corporations when a claim is necessary.

Now, I said above that I was "told this" and that was by an insurance broker. I have also read on my motorcycle policy how much of the paid money is apportioned if I want a refund, and they pretty much go along with what I related above, so, it is a wide spread idea and all the insurance companies tell the same story.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”