TIRES

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

TIRES

Postby hap2 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:15 am

Altho the front tire is only 3 yrs old, it's probably only got 1500 miles on it but is starting to crack (howbeit ever so slightly) along the sidewall & in between the tread "humps". It's an Elite 3.

The rear tire has also lots of tread left on it, but is also starting to slightly crack on the sidewalls due to under-inflation.

Altho I bought them "new" from bike bandit 1 & 1/2 yrs ago, the date code on the tires showed that they were made 3 years ago.

#1 question: Is there anything I can do to fix the slight cracking along the sidewalls?
#2 question: What's the best place tog et good deals on tires that are made very recently?

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Previously Owned:
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Re: TIRES

Postby toanogreen » Mon May 27, 2013 1:05 pm

I just bought new Elite 3's last month. Not being a mechanic, I had to go through a dealer to put them on. Most dealerships around here won't put them on unless you purchase them at their shops. With the dealers you usually get newer tires. But always check.

I usually get 12 - 15K miles on the Elites. Keep the air pressure up, you should get more. Most readers now say 40 - 45psi, so that's what I'm trying now. The dealer went by the book and put 33 - 36 in them. Others will also chime in I'm sure.

hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Postby hap2 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Ya, one GoldWing guy said 36 min...but I'll go 40 ..the tires says 41...A bit if slight cracking on the sidewalls even tho lots of tread left after only about 1300 miles. Did u have that after 2 yrs? Much to worry about? Can I still do a 300 mile trip (one way) on them? I was gonna put nitrogen in the tires.

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Previously Owned:
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby toanogreen » Mon May 27, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't remember any cracking on mine. I drive daily to work and had no problems. If you have only 1300 miles I don't see much to worry about. BUT check carefully and get other opinions.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon May 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Any checking in the sidewalls indicates the tire compounds are beginning to break down. If it was my heavy cruiser/touring motorcycle, I would change the tires, but that is me - a bit anal about things like this. I also change the tires on my truck after six years, even if there is low mileage on them. I can see where the temptation is though, with only three year old tires. It seems a bit silly to change them out. I guess it would depend on the amount and depth of the sidewall checking. Happily, I end up changing my motorcycle tires pretty much every spring, as I have put too many miles on them the previous year to keep them.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”