Legalise Lane splitting in Texas

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Legalise Lane splitting in Texas

Postby thrasherg » Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi everyone!

There is a petition going around to try and allow lane splitting in Texas, I just signed it as I would like to see lane splitting allowed in all states, yes there are questions about safety but you don't have to lane split, but it's nice to have the option, especially in hot weather. I would ask you all to consider lane splitting and if you agree with it, to go and sign this petition.

Here's the link: ... e_petition

Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Legalise Lane splitting in Texas

Postby Sally » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

I didn't understand what you meant by lane splitting.But now seeing I have to sleep on this one not sure how I feel about it.Does not seem like some thing I would do. But we don't have the traffic that you do.. Sally

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

When I was a much younger man, with much quicker reflexes than I have now, and rode a bike that was not as huge as this GL1800, I was an advocate for lane splitting, and legal or not, I did it. For myself, now, with this bike, not so much. I would sign the petition though if I was permitted, but being from across the northern border, my opinions are not wanted in Texas, :lol: I wish you the best of luck with the petition though.

Note: it let me sign the petition. they only need another 118 signatures.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Blue highways
Motorcycle: Harley's Honda & Triumph

Postby Blue highways » Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Lane Splitting or "Filtering" as it's called sometimes works pretty well here in California. There are always idiots who will abuse anything, but one ought not to prevent the "Good' by requiring the impossible to obtain "Perfect" outcome. In fact the DMV has a "Share the Road" message that they publicize, and guidelines on the DMV Website.

Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Aspencade
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Postby sfrench1958 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:10 am

The most common perpetrators of lane splitting are crotch rocket/donor bike/street bike riders.

We, as bikers, are already at the mercy of four wheeled vehicle operators seeing us and paying attention to the fact that we have a right to share the road. Why give them an extra opportunity to flinch at the wheel when a bike comes roaring past them in an area that is way less than the width of a normal driving lane. Although I really enjoy riding in Texas no way could I endorse an idea like this.

Motorcycle: 05' GL1800
30th Anniversary model

Postby txwingman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

Lane splitting in Dallas or Houston traffic? Naw, not for me. Too many rednecks that think it would be funny cut you off (or worse) just because they can't do it. I know from whence I speak because I live in the DFW metromess and it happened to me once. I learned my lesson, won't be doing that any more.
But Thanks for the opportunity to sign the petition & good luck with it. 8-)
JB Seale (txwingman)

GWRRA - Life Member
TMRA - Life Member
AMA - Life Member
IBA # 1626
N.Texas PGR

Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 pm

As I understand it, lane splitting is not illegal in Texas. That is, there is no law saying that you can't do it. It is left to the discretion of the police officer to access whether it is a general violation of safe driving practices.

In spite of several “lane splitting” bills having been introduced in different sessions of the Texas Legislature, to date none has been signed into law. The concept of “lane sharing” is not specifically addressed by existing statute. A lane-spiltting rider stopped by a peace officer will be subject to the interpretation of the peace officer at the time.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”