One Gallon Equal 3.5 Quarts

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

One Gallon Equal 3.5 Quarts

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 am

I changed my oil today, and had to put the whole gallon container of oil in to bring the level up to the full line on my 82 GL1100. My manual says that it holds 3.4 quarts to full. The last few times I changed it, same kind of oil, same gallon jug, I had some left over. I actually had to add a little from a quart this time, to bring it to exact full. I know a half a quart of oil isn't much, but I don't like paying for something that I don't get. I did put the bike in three different spots on the center stand to make sure it wasn't on a tilt or something to make the level off. But it made no difference.

I did notice that when I opened the gallon to put some fresh oil on the o-rings and the rubber on the filter, it seemed a bit low in the jug. I am actually thinking about writing to Shell and telling them about it. When I worked for an oil company, we filled a lot of 55 gallon drums with various oils. We used a metered pump that was pretty accurate, but we had a chart that would tell us how much the finished drum was supposed to weigh with exactly 55 gallons, and we weighed them.

I am curious if anyone checks to see if there is a full gallon of oil in the gallon jugs they buy? I don't like to think "Big Oil" companies would try to screw people like this, but I'm measuring the next gallon I buy to the ounce.

A half a quart of oil low in a gallon jug is %12.5 missing.

Thanks for listening to my little rant. :)

Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: One Gallon Equal 3.5 Quarts

Postby SteveB123 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:38 am

Yeah, next time you'll have to measure the jug to be sure.

I doubt Big Oil, or any company for that matter, wants to be on the wrong side of Federal weights and measures laws....the cases are too easy to loose.

Mechanical mistakes happen though, on the filling line and elsewhere.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 am

Can you imagine how much a oil company would save by shorting each gallon even by a pint. I remember several years ago GM got in trouble because in bolting down the carburetors they only used two nuts instead of the required four. So out of the hundreds of thousands of cars built at the time you saved the company all those nuts. It adds up.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Waht kind of oil are you putting in it. I use Rottella T in all my bikes and the jug is only 3.78 Quarts. 12 bucks at Walmart everyday of the week.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”