Tunnel from England to France

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Tunnel from England to France

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:05 pm

brettchallenger wrote:I really don't know how you do it Wingman. To put it into a European context, I used Google maps to see where 1000 miles due South would take me. Barcelona! In a day! This of course assumes that the French aren't on strike and the Channel Tunnel is open, and that I actually survive the nightmare that is driving through Paris.

You have managed to make me feel very old!!

I took this context from WingAdmins whirlwind trip to Florida Thread. I did not wish to hijack his thread to ask my question.

Brettchallenger, or any other who has knowledge of this - is it permissible to ride a motorcycle through the tunnel under the English Channel from England to France? This is a very long tunnel. Here between the U.S. and Canada, motorcycles are not permitted to travel from Detroit to Windsor or back through the tunnel because of possible buildup of Carbon Monoxide, and this tunnel is less than a mile long. They are afraid we would pass out and fall down, and either die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, or break a bunch of cars and trucks getting run over.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Tunnel from England to France

Postby thrasherg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 pm

I have used the tunnel many times. No one drives in it. You load your vehicle onto a train ( you stay with your vehicle) and then the train drives through the tunnel and you drive off the train at the other end. Your engine is NOT running whilst you are on the train. There are seats in the train so motorcyclist can sit if they want but you can also walk around the carriage, you stay with your vehicle for the entire crossing.

Gary

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Tunnel from England to France

Postby themainviking » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 am

Thank you Gary, I am enlightened. That makes a lot of sense.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”