front master or rebuild? 1100 '82 interstate

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
DonP
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

front master or rebuild? 1100 '82 interstate

Postby DonP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:53 am

Would it be easier to just replace the front master than to try to rebuild? [ I haven't gone searching for pricing on either, yet. ]
I'm just grabbing air at this point, and would have to drive 30miles into the city with just the back brakes, which isn't impossible, but it does concern me a tad, especially since the inspection has expired.

I could truck it, if I had a truck, but this sucker is a lot of bike to push up a ramp.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: front master or rebuild? 1100 '82 interstate

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Look through the How To section in the GL1100 subsection of this forum.
Rebuilding the FRONT master cylinder is not too difficult...the rear one is a giant PIA but also doable
A replacement may work if you can find a good one that requires no rebuilding...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Postby Calzone » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:15 am

I have the same problem, I took mine apart and found it pitted beyond use so a kit wouldn't have done any good, Then wondering what I would get on the internet for 40 bucks on up..Nothing would tick me off more then spending 40 plus on a leaking or not rebuildable master. I decided to go with one of the Chinese ones they sell for 40-60 dollars if only for temporary use it is worth it, Might buy a spare if it works out. The one you want is a 14MM bore 7/8th inch mounting 10X1.25 banjo bolt.
I know there is some controversy but many are perfectly satisfied with them.
I have also heard any master from a bike with dual disk`s will work fine on the GL, meaning from any bike you choose with the same handle bar size and banjo bolt, although I question this and didn't want to be dissatisfied with the braking. I wish I had a motorcycle junk yard so I could experiment with stuff like that.

DonP
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby DonP » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm

@SteveB123 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:14 pm

http://randakks.com/products/randakks-u ... r-cylinder

Your suggestion that I cough up $170 alarmed me a bit, at first. But then I pulled my old cylinder apart far enough to assess that my cylinder was severely pitted (as I expected).
I still could maybe salvage it, but would have to get a kit anyway, plus maybe have to move my bike the 60 miles to my cousin's house (to have access to his tools).

So I clicked the link you provided. I didn't know a product description could be so complete and still make so much sense.
And, I didn't know what I didn't know. This master cylinder is engineered far differently, and seems to me to be vastly improved over the original design.

-I shelled out the $170. They shipped the part within 45 minutes and I installed it (in my driveway) in approximately an hour or so. I didn't get much riding in afterward, but the 20miles or so I rode convinced me you steered me in the right direction. Thank you.

[ I do appreciate that someone here has provided excellent rebuild instructions for many things, also. I didn't have to hand out tons of money to rebuild my front shocks, shortly after I got the bike and found out the guy a couple owners back had used Fix-a-Flat to seal it up. ]

Thanks again, everyone.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”