Heel-toe shifter problems

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Heel-toe shifter problems

Postby hap2 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 pm

I gotta heel-toe-shifter for my 1500, but I can't get at the kickstand because the back of the shifter's in the way. I'm thinking of taking a hack-saw to it just so I can get at the kickstand. Right now, when I reach with my foot / leg to get at the kickstand, I hit the back of the shifter & I put the bike in gear accidently. Also, y r there three looks like mounting holes when only the center one is attached to.

What a pain. It certainly wasn't like this with my floorboards & heel toe shifter on my 1200.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: Heel-toe shifter problems

Postby minimac » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 am

I remember reading about problems the heel-toe shifters can cause with the transmission. Hope you don't run into that.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am

As long as we are talking about toe-heel shifter problems, I thought I would tell my Dilemma with my set up.
When I had just two wheels, and had the toe-heel system , I had to spread my legs wide apart because of the big boards, so I could keep the bike up. I found this to be a real challenge at times. On a trip loaded down with extra weight, I dumped the bike three times in one week end. Wife didn't want to get back on after she got a bruised
shoulder falling over. We made it back home safely, but she said never again will she get back on.

As soon as I got home I removed the toe-heel system, but that didn't convince the wife that it was safe to ride again. I had no problem keeping it up right, but did have to do something to get her to ride again. So I added two extra wheels, no more falling over period. Wife is now back ridding, which is great. At this point I thought to reinstall the toe-heel system, which I did. Now I found out that I had to spread my legs way out in order to back up the poor mans TRIKE.......That didn't work I tell you, I removed once again, and now I can use my legs again to push the whole bike backwards. Ya just need long legs to ride these things :lol:

Some one will come and help with your problem, I'm sure Good Luck..

WA9FWT PHIL

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 am

I am trying to remember, Hap....when I had those on, the kickstand would be at the back of the board....and I would move my foot to the back of the board to then push the kickstand down.

I do not know if everyone else's issues are the same, I would not cut anything though. Would not think that was the manufacturers way of getting it to work. Maybe someone else can take pic of theirs to show you how it should look (pics are worth a 1000 words)

LloydB
Motorcycle: 08 GL1800 ABS/Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper
1995 GL1500SE with a Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

Postby LloydB » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

Most of the guys that use floor boards add an extension piece to the kick stand, it is just a clam shell bolt on extension that adds enough length so that you can reach it.

Lloyd and Judy
Comfort, Tx.
08 GL1800 ABS with a Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper

Return to “Goldwing Chat”