Rider down

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Rider down

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 pm

I was driving home from work today, on the highway, three lanes in each direction. I was in the middle lane, and came up on some slow traffic all of a sudden. The right lane was stopped, and I caught a glimpse of the reason why: a bike, laying on its side in the middle of the right lane. I looked and saw that the rider was laying on the ground right next to it, and a good samaritan standing next to him, having pulled over to try to help. I quickly pulled over onto the shoulder and got out of my car.

The guy was on an older Honda 750 Four, and it was laying on its side, gas leaking out of the tank, with about 20 feet of scrape marks on the road leading up to it. I hit the kill switch and turned the ignition off. The guy had pulled his helmet off, and propped it under his left leg. He was moaning, and with good reason - his left leg was broken halfway between his knee and his ankle, both tibula and fibula, it looked like he had a second knee halfway down his shin. The other bystander said that an ambulance was on its way, and I saw police lights coming up in the distance. I got the rider to stop moving around and checked him out. The only piece of protective gear he had been wearing was a helmet, and good thing - the helmet was severely damaged. He was not wearing gloves, and both his palms and several fingers were lacerated. He was wearing jeans, and they were just shredded, they had offered no protection at all, so his legs were pretty ground up as well. He had been wearing a light jacket, it was torn to shreds. He had one running shoe on, the other one was underneath the bike. The foot without the shoe (on the broken leg) was bleeding.

I kept him talking while doing my best to keep him from moving. He said he had been following the car in front of him too closely. That car came up on traffic and jammed on its brakes. He said that he tried to swerve to the shoulder to avoid it, but a pickup truck behind him had already done the same thing, and was now beside him on the shoulder. He had nowhere to go, no escape route. He tried swerving again left while braking hard, and the bike went down on its left side, which is what broke his leg.

Within five minutes, rescue arrived, and they had him strapped to a stretcher and in the ambulance quickly. I grabbed what was left of his jacket, the key to his bike, and his cell phone, making sure they got into the ambulance with him. I got his wife's number from him, and gave her a quick call to let her know what had happened, and what hospital they were taking him to. A couple of us got the bike up off the road and onto the shoulder. I talked to one of the cops, told him what I knew, and that was that. I went on my way home.

From what the rider told me, this accident was totally preventable. Following too close, not having an "out", not leaving himself options. And a lot of his injuries were preventable, as well. Unlike the majority of bikers in Ohio, this guy was at least wearing a helmet, which probably saved his life, judging from the condition of his helmet. If he had been wearing proper protective gear, the majority of the rest of his injuries wouldn't have happened, either.

Nohands
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 AC
1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Rider down

Postby Nohands » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:04 am

I am a firm believer in good gear!

I have been looking at http://www.motoport.com/ but is currently out of my price range. I say get at least what you can afford and work up from there!

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

So glad to see you stopped to render aid.

Here is what happened to me yesterday. I was going down the highway at about 65MPH when some thing hit me in the forehead. It felt like a stone ?... Of coarse I was wearing a helmet and had glass's on. I drove for one or two more minutes when I reached up still moving along because I felt something was still there. Thats when I saw a bee or wasp fall down between my legs. It wasn't long and then came the pain on my fore head. I was headed for home and will deal with it at home. I walked in the house and asked the wife to look at my head. First thing she said, why didn't you have your full face helmet on ! No kiss's here to make the pain go away :lol:

Around town I use just a regular helmet and when I know I will be out on the highways, I use a full helmet.
Now I say, maybe I should use a full helmet all the time. :) I'm fine this morning....I think ?
WA9FWT Phil

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Wing, I am glad you got there shortly after the accident and with your medical knowledge were able to render aid and assist the medical personal and police. I wonder how many people drove by that could have helped also? Few want to take the time or get involved but thankfully people like you and I do and that saves lives. I believe in good gear and
did invest in mine but I figure my life is worth even more then what that gear costs. I was involved in a head on accident 11 years ago and tho I am lucky to be able to walk I would prefer not to go thru that again.
Proud member Patriot Guard

thirdstorybase
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate

Postby thirdstorybase » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 pm

sounds like he had a very bad day...I just had a back tire go down in heavy traffic last week at about 60mph. very scary moment. it felt like I was on ice. luckily I was able to get off the road and stopped. it was a good excuse for a new back tire at least.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks for stopping, Scott. It sounded like you did everything right on the scene. Your instincts on what to do for the guy were right on. Not too shabby.

The debate on helmets goes on and on. Some just don't get it. I've scraped too many riders off of the road before I retired to not wear one. Even a half helmet is way better than none at all. That is, a REAL helmet, not the skull caps that some insist on wearing.

Even at that, I vividly remember one accident scene I responded to where the rider was wearing a full face, but didn't have the strap cinched up. He t-boned a car, flew over it in one direction, the helmet in another. He was pronounced at the scene.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

barlee
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby barlee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 am

you are right proper gear can save I found out the hard way myself jean jacket and jeans do not last when u hit the pavement

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Wingman, I'm very curious, when you made the call to his wife, what did you say to her,,Did you tell her that her husband was in accident but just broke a leg and is fine or what? OMG :shock: Good job man..That was smart thinking to get his phone out..If I ever have an accident and I'm laying on the hotass pavement I would want someone like you to help me out too.... Great post... :D Everything happens for a reason..

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:09 am

Do you northerners have ICE as an item in your mobile/cell phone? ICE means "In Case of Emergency" and our paramedics look for this if someone is carrying a phone. You enter it like a normal contact, and when you file through the contacts ICE appears. I have two listed, ICE 1 for my wife, and ICE 2 for my son. You just never know :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:00 am

I was a first responder and EMT for 14 years and not once did we use a cell phone to contact family members. At the hospital that is different, and at times a patient themselves would be able to contact a family member, but I never searched thru a patients phone to find a member.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Wingman, I'm very curious, when you made the call to his wife, what did you say to her,,Did you tell her that her husband was in accident but just broke a leg and is fine or what? OMG :shock: Good job man..That was smart thinking to get his phone out..If I ever have an accident and I'm laying on the hotass pavement I would want someone like you to help me out too.... Great post... :D Everything happens for a reason..

I didn't want to lead off with "your husband was in an accident" and give her a shock, so I said "hi, I'm calling to let you know your husband is OK, he was in an accident...." - told her he broke his leg, but he's talking and is fine, and what hospital they were taking him to.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:19 pm

redial wrote:Do you northerners have ICE as an item in your mobile/cell phone? ICE means "In Case of Emergency" and our paramedics look for this if someone is carrying a phone. You enter it like a normal contact, and when you file through the contacts ICE appears. I have two listed, ICE 1 for my wife, and ICE 2 for my son. You just never know :roll:

My cell phone is locked and needs a code to unlock it, so there's no way they could be searching through my contacts. Most everyone I know also has their phone similarly locked.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 pm

I think I will invest in one of these. It's cheap insurance, you can get it as a wristband, dog tags, ankle bands, or tags that lace onto your shoes or boots:

Road ID Bracelent
Road ID Bracelent

You buy the bracelet from them, and pay $10/year to keep your info on their site, accessible by the URL on the tag: https://www.roadid.com/c/RoadID

BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 pm

I use the ICE feature on my phone, but also find the tags interesting and will probably buy one. Wondering though... why would I want to pay $10 a year to keep my information on their site if it's already a part of the wristband or tag?
"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 pm

I would think to keep things updated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm

BikerNewsman wrote:I use the ICE feature on my phone, but also find the tags interesting and will probably buy one. Wondering though... why would I want to pay $10 a year to keep my information on their site if it's already a part of the wristband or tag?

They keep far more information than can fit on the band - they can fit medical information, contact information, and so on - and if it changes, you don't need a new band. Plus it can be accessed with a phone call or on the web, easier for EMS.

BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks for the info. 8-)
"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 am

When using the ICE feature on my Droid smartphone, you do not need to unlock the phone as the ICE menu and the names you have put on it pop right up on the screen to call them when you push the ICE tab at the bottom of the screen..... ;)

rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Postby rufus15 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:33 am

Awesome job, and I love the description of the damage done to him. (Not to be morbid), but it drives home the need for all safety equipment for new riders who never think it can happen to them.

I started to increase my follow on distance using the auto's rule and doubling it after a couple of close calls with road debris and people entering traffic. I find it it's a more relaxed ride and I'm more prepared for what may happen.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:58 pm

I get accused of driving/riding like a "grandpa" by my granddaughter, which I have taken as being not a particularly complimentary comment, but she has observed that I drive more cautiously than most. I consider that a 'badge of honour' because I take care not to damage myself, my vehicle, or any other thing. I still travel at the posted speed limits, (mainly because I cannot afford the fines (upto $3 000) for some speeding offences, plus a loss of licence for six months, so I tend not to travel over the limit. We can be booked for 4 Km/h over the posted limit, (about 2.5MPH), so the tolerances are quite small.

I havent always been like this, with my fastest trip of 400 miles being achieved in 5.5 hours, including stops, but that was for a special purpose, and wouldnt normally be involved in fast trips of this nature.

Call me old fashioned if you want, but my motto is: "Drive to arrive alive".
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah, following too closely will get you into trouble.. In the old days we were taught a somewhat different way to gauge the distance between the vehicle ahead of you, somewhat different than todays method...I taught my daughters this rule as I feel its a easy way...for every 10 mph give a cars length distance between the vehicle ahead of you. Going 50mph you should have at least 5 cars length between you and the vehicle ahead of you..Pretty simply and easy to gauge..Now if only people would abide by it...The World would be a better place...I hate tallgaters....Not the football kind either.. :D People act as though they are late for an appointment or something,,this is probably the number one reason for accidents, people in a hurry..For What...??? Usually nothing... :shock:

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 am

littlebeaver wrote:Yeah, following too closely will get you into trouble.. In the old days we were taught a somewhat different way to gauge the distance between the vehicle ahead of you, somewhat different than todays method...I taught my daughters this rule as I feel its a easy way...for every 10 mph give a cars length distance between the vehicle ahead of you. Going 50mph you should have at least 5 cars length between you and the vehicle ahead of you..Pretty simply and easy to gauge..Now if only people would abide by it...The World would be a better place...I hate tallgaters....Not the football kind either.. :D People act as though they are late for an appointment or something,,this is probably the number one reason for accidents, people in a hurry..For What...??? Usually nothing... :shock:

Boy do I ever agree with people driving to fast. Even in our neighborhood they have speed displaying signs showing how fast people are traveling. And Of coarse a sign saying SLOW down. Now to find that 3 second rule for how far behind one should be behind the person in front of you.
The 3-second rule is a simple way to double-check that you are driving at a safe following distance. Choose a fixed point that is even with the car in front of you. For example, a road sign or a building. If you reach that same fixed point before you can count to three, then you are driving too close to the car in front of you and you need to fall back a bit.
Even that's to close for me,remember I don't move as fast as I did 50 some years ago. :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

Retired
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Goldwing

Postby Retired » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:16 pm

With all of the watch for motorcycle bumper stickers out there, you would think that we riders would try to be as careful as we can and not put ourselves in situations that could lead to injury or death. We owe the same duty of care to automobile drivers that we ask of them. Ride responsibly, ride with maturity, ride smart.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Retired wrote:With all of the watch for motorcycle bumper stickers out there, you would think that we riders would try to be as careful as we can and not put ourselves in situations that could lead to injury or death. We owe the same duty of care to automobile drivers that we ask of them. Ride responsibly, ride with maturity, ride smart.

You can add me to that list for sure.
Age 74 and still ridding with caution! :)
WA9FWT Phil

Return to “Goldwing Chat”