New to Website

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
komputatek
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate.

New to Website

Postby komputatek » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I just found this website and I'm in love already!

I picked up my 83 Interstate last fall and have been sloooooowly restoring it. It has been in dry storage for 3 or more years. Mice are having to find a new home now.

I just read about the radiator removal and it's a huge help with the "average Joes" how to and pics. I have a radiator shop nearby and will have them check mine out.
I'm also replacing the hoses, (thanks for the NAPA/AdvanceAuto Numbers :D ) thermostat, cap, timing belts, and anything else I find. :shock:

I've got a lot of small rust spots. I've been reading on other sites about cleaning it. Any suggestions? also, if I have to use chrome paint what works best there? IE technique, brand, etc.

It's fun to work on, but it'll probably be next year before i ride.

Thanks again for the awesome website. I'm be here often. :)

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: New to Website

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 pm

From the U.P. of Michigan welcome to the website, and I wish you were closer to me as my son in law has a chroming business that he can do anything, even deer horns. Maybe you can find someone in your area that can help with that.
Proud member Patriot Guard

komputatek

Postby komputatek » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for the offer on chroming. Its hard to find to one these days. I think there's one nearby. I've also got an excellent powder coating shop nearby.
Ill let you know if i need the help. :)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi there, and welcome. If you are looking for some "stand out" colours, then contact RiffRaff, he just might have some orange[color=#408000 left over. His looks great![/color]
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

komputatek

Postby komputatek » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks for the color info.

My bikes paint is in great shape. I like to restore as much as is practical. I 'm updating my stereo system and some other minor things, but when I'm done I hope it to be as near as "new" as practical.

komputatek

Postby komputatek » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59 am

Just thought I'd post a pic of my bike.

This is what she looked like when I got her last November. The only thing i've done prior to this photo is given her a bath. She looked pretty gray from all the dirt/dust.

Right now she's scattered in a 1000 (1100) pieces. :lol:
Attachments

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Looking pretty sweet. I had an 85 GW that I really liked because it had a lower seat height, for guys like me with short inseam. But the 1500s came out with more bell and whistles. Hope you can get your beauty back together soon, would hate to see you loose a lot of the riding season due to repairs.
Proud member Patriot Guard

vmansquest
Motorcycle: 1986 interstate 1200

Re: New to Website Gas milage

Postby vmansquest » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello all Its been about a month since I put my 86 interstate in the shop and had alot of work done # 1 was the tank and carbs being redone, 2 the rear shocks and seals 3 the wiring of the after market lights from markland to make things rightand of course the master cylinders for the front brakes and clutch, sight glasses needed sealed. All in all the price was a whopping 2200 bucks and thats just to get her in running condition. Now I understand for a big bike they get on avg around 35 mpg, but since I got her back I've put around 250 miles on her and I don't think Im getting
that kind of milage thru her. My new job round trip is around 44 miles and I just filled her up the day before yesterday going to work and went to work yesterday and got home and Im already down to half a tank. I'm only using 87 octane and I'm staying in the 2100 to 2500 rpm range because if any higher then I burn more gas, just wondering what to do to improve the mpg, my driving habits or change the octane. When I take off in first I dont feel the tourqe or real grab like what you feel on most bikes and wondering if thats just the way these bikes are or is there some adjustments I can do. Also about the suspension pressure about what is the best settings since I have to do it manually and not to do over and under do it. The guy at the bike shop set the rear at about 50 a little under the max and I dont know what the front is but shes hard as a rock when it comes to hitting road cracks I actually feel the tires hardness at 41 psi and I take it very slow over speed bumps and she has that bouncy effect in the rear and me alone only whiegh around 120 so its like noone on the bike. I've got alot to learn about this machine and hopefully I get things right so I can actually get my time and moneys worth out of her. And last at least is the speedo cable, how hard is it to get to everything, anyway Id sure appriciate the help and by the way she has 76000 miles on her Vman

komputatek

Postby komputatek » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

I'm interested to know what you learn about your concerns.

I have never owned a GW before so any info is helpful.

I do all my own work. I'm a trained farm tractor mechanic and have always fixed my car/mower/previous motorcycles, but I find all the "stuff' on a GW a little intimidating. Over all it's going well though. I plan to pull my fuel tank this week.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”