It's alive

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

It's alive

Postby Jeeper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm

The '83 Aspencade I brought home today does in fact run. After checking the vital fluids, a jump start and a little bit of ether I finally got it started. Now the fun begins with chasing down the issues over the next few days. It's supposed to be warmer, and not raining, tomorrow so hopefully I'll get started on it. It smoked quite a bit when I started it, but I suspect its because I pulled the plugs and put some lube in the cylinders, then turned it over to loosen things up. Once running a while it didn't smoke at all. There are no obvious puddles under the bike either.

I think there may be some wiring, or fuse, issues in the fairing. The headlight didn't work, although it did earlier today. Not sure its the bulb as both high and low beam do not work. The turn signals and marker lights worked on the front. The radio and CB do not work, however pushing the clock button did. The Volt meter also does not work. None of the accessory lights on the back of the bike work. The brake/tail light did, as well as the turn signals on the back.

I need to pull the front calipers and they were dragging bad. The brake pads look new, so I'm hoping I can just pull the calipers and clean them up. I think the rear might have been dragging a little but freed up. I also need to find out how to pull the clear plastic off the instrument panel as the back side of it needs to be cleaned, or perhaps replaced. It has a white haze which makes it very hard to see the instruments. They all appeared to work, the air compressor and shocks work although it looks like there's supposed to be some type of strap on the compressor that holds it down which is not there.

I believe the bike has been dropped as the trunk is broken where one of the chrome bars mount on the side and it seems like the handlebars are not even. There are no broken fairing parts or any other indications that I've seen so far. I couldn't give it a fair test drive with the front brake dragging as it was.

When I dug out the side cover after installing the new battery, I found that what I thought was gold pinstriping all over the bike has electrical connections. I guess its some type of light. I'll start chasing down electrical connections tomorrow. Unfortunately my new test light is in the door pocked of my pick-up truck, which happens to be at the dealer with an injector issue. Good thing they're cheap.

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: It's alive

Postby actionpack » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:01 am

good luck with the wireing jeeper , sounds like u got a runner there

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:44 am

The "gold pinstriping" could be EL, or electro-luminescent lighting. It's stick-on stuff that glows different colors when power is applied.

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:47 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The "gold pinstriping" could be EL, or electro-luminescent lighting. It's stick-on stuff that glows different colors when power is applied.

Thats exactly what it is, and only one strip still works. Its in bad shape so I plan on just removing it completely. Hopefully some goo remover will take off the adhesive.

Had a good day today. Some Seafoam in the gas cleaned the carbs up, added some to the oil too and ran it to clean things up in the crankcase. I'll change the oil and filter tomorrow. It starts right up now and idle's nicely. I pulled the turn signal out and found a blown fuse on the radio, and also found a mouse nest. Took care of both and now the radio and CB work. The only part that didn't work is the tune button on the handlebars. I can manually tune it with the control panel, and all the other buttons seemed to work, just not the seek up or down.

Pulled off all the calipers and cleaned them up got the brakes freed up and operating properly. I will order rebuild kits for the calipers, but they are functioning and not leaking now. It's 100% easier to put it up on the center stand now that the wheels turn freely. All the guages work now, except the voltmeter which didn't work at all, now does seem to work. Its reading less than 12v with the engine running, so I need to put a meter on the battery to make sure my stator is working. The headlight issue was a blown fuse, so that works fine. I had a chrome eyebrow in the pannier, so I removed the plastic headlight cover and put that on instead, think it looks better.

There are some minor issues yet to deal with. The fuse holder on the right is actually broken, so I keep loosing connection to that fuse. Where the brass holder attaches is broken so the fuse is loose. It's also where they tapped the power for the auxilary lights, so they keep going out too. I can't find the cover for the fuse panel, so I'm not sure what each fuse is for, if someone wouldn't mind posting that for me. I think I figured out the leftmost one is the headlight.

The wiring for the auxiliary lights is in need of attention, and a few good connectors, so I'll take care of that. Then I can figure out if the lights that aren't working are due to bad connections or a blown bulbs. There is a LED brake light on the bottom of the trunk, but about a 1/3 of the LEDs don't lite up. The switches the previous owner added to control the lights also has issues. For some reason they put a 2 way switch in so you can have the fog lights on, or the auxiliary lights, but not both. Fortunately there was a complete 2nd switch panel in the trunk which also has a space for a cigarette lighter. There is a cigarette lighter on the fairing just under the right speaker, but its rusted pretty bad and needs to be replaced. My radio/CB antenna is missing, so I'll have to order one. Fortunately Wingadmin posted where to find one.

There is an exhaust leak at the manifold when its under power. Its quiet when holding a steady throttle setting, or increasing the throttle slowly. Not sure if its an issue when the engine is torqued loosening the connection there. I plan on getting new exhaust gaskets and see if that fixes it. The exhaust isn't in the best shape either, but that looks like it's going to be a pricey fix. Are there any outlets for aftermarket exhaust systems out there?

In the trunk was also a set of wind deflectors that attach on the lower fairing, using two of the intercom panel screws on the left, and similar screws on the right. I'm not sure if I want those on or not. I also have a set of new replacement deflectors still the bag, but I think they're for an '84 model based on the sticker. There is no mounting hardware, just the plastic.

All in all, a very good day. I even took it for a spin around the block and it seemed to handle great. Unfortunately here in Maine tomorrow is a holiday, so I have to wait for Tuesday to register it.

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:08 pm

I forgot to mention how great this site is for this project. I was attempting to put the eyebrow on the headlight and inadvertantly backed the adjustment screw out all the way so the nut fell off the back. I had no idea how to remove the headlight, and the service manual was of no help. I quick run in here to this site and I found a posting from someone else who did the exact same thing, with perfect instructions for pulling the headlight.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Jeeper wrote:I forgot to mention how great this site is for this project. I was attempting to put the eyebrow on the headlight and inadvertantly backed the adjustment screw out all the way so the nut fell off the back. I had no idea how to remove the headlight, and the service manual was of no help. I quick run in here to this site and I found a posting from someone else who did the exact same thing, with perfect instructions for pulling the headlight.

Hi Jeeper, I was about to jump on here to tell you how to install that head light, just went through that my self.Easy when you know how "hay " thats whats nice about this site some one is there to help.Looks like you have had some experiance with that seafoam ? I just recently removed a carb bowl that was brown with old fuel from sitting.So I pored some seafoam in the bowl and let it sit for 24 hours,to see if any thing would happen. Most of it evaporated,and when I stuck my finger in it, it felt like very thin oil. It sure seemed to change it's properties from what I first pored in.

I then used a rag to see if I could remove any of the gas residue, or even loosened it up some. Thinking it just may work on gas varnish, but it didn't do a thing. Good luck with the new ride,and make sure you check the belts.

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Just went out and took a picture of my fuse cover for you. I'll assume yours is the same as my 82.

Fuse Cover
Fuse Cover

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 am

WA9FWT wrote:Looks like you have had some experiance with that seafoam ?

I've used Seafoam for years. I have a small collections of older John Deere lawn and garden tractors from the late '60s early '70s and started using it on a recommendation from someone on a JD forum I belong to. On the bike it went from running rough to very smooth with just the addition of the Seafoam and about 1 gallon of fresh gas. I still have some of the old gas in the system to burn out but that won't take long. With the tractors, one of my favorite things to do is to remove the fuel line from the gas tank and stick it directly into a can of Seafoam, then run the engine until it quits. This gives the needles and seats a 100% concentration of it to really loosen things up. Not sure how that would work on the Goldwing though.

Goldwingadmin: That picture of the fuse cover is exactly what I needed. I found it strange that I couldn't find a picture showing the fuse block in either the owners manual or the service manual. Both basically said to refer to the cover, which is one of the few things actually missing on mine. With the accessory fuse holder broken, I may have to look into rewiring that fuse into an inline holder. I'll look at it closer today as I think I'm going to pull the false tank off and flush the cooling system when I change the oil. I also have a chrome piece at the bottom of the radiator that has two amber lights on it that isn't working, so that will give me a chance to check the wiring down there as well.

Today is wiring day. After doing the oil and coolant change I plan on removing the EL lighting, fixing the taped connections all over the bike with proper solder and heat shrink connections. I will also have to check the 3 yellow wires to see if that's why my voltmeter is reading low with the bike running. I'll cut that connector out while working on the rest of the wiring. I'll leave the fairing alone, but I suspect I'll be using your guides to remove the seat, lower fairings, false tank and side bags. This should give me complete access to everything.

I did use your guide yesterday to take apart and clean up my calipers. The only difference was to do the rear one I was able to leave the seat in place and when I removed the left bag, I simply set it on the seat leaving the turn signal connection in place. A short bungee to the trunk ensured it wouldn't fall off.

actionpack

Postby actionpack » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 am

sounds llike your on a roll with the new wing , :mrgreen:

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:20 pm

actionpack wrote:sounds llike your on a roll with the new wing , :mrgreen:

Literally. Despite today being a holiday in Maine, the town office was open so I was able to register her today instead of tomorrow. I put about 20 miles on it around town. I don't want to venture too far until I know I've found all the gremlins.

actionpack

Postby actionpack » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:48 pm

yupper , head up on the gremlins , them little buggers are just waiting to get us , well done on getting the wing on the road

Return to “Goldwing Chat”