Wet roads and blue skies, or.....

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Wet roads and blue skies, or.....

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm

I think that I have magic. :o 8-) I know that is a very bold statement. Let me explain if I can.
I have noticed over the last number of years that when I leave home to go on a longer bike trip that the weather is to say the least unsettled. That is to be expected here in Western Canada in June. However I have found that very shortly after I leave home it rains, a lot, when I head off on my trip whatever direction I go doesn't look very dry according to the weatherman. Very often I can see storm clouds up ahead and I see the vehicles coming towards me are wet.
I have rain gear, it is always easy to get to, and it is pretty good gear too.
Now heres the magic part. I tell the rain to move off to the left or the right and it does. I am not saying I never get rained on, but I rarely ever have to stop and put on the rain gear. The roads are wet in front of me but the clouds seem to bend to my will and hold off on dumping on me for the most part until after I pass them by. Now if this only happened once or twice I would say I was just lucky not to get wet, but this happens to me about 95% of the time for the last 4 years. I have even ridden straight towards a big black thunderstorm, lightening and winds. By the time I get there it either quits or moves over to let me pass. I love my magic...... 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Wet roads and blue skies, or.....

Postby redial » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm

It sounds like you have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but instead of gold there are "Magic Mushrooms". :D

The main thing is that you enjoy your travelling, the weather stays good, and the GW keeps purring. Have a great time.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Damn, I am following you.... ;)

AJW
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby AJW » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:45 pm

I hear you Bro, I've carried ran gear for years but never had to wear it, I usually run to Westbank every year and always seem to have decent weather going over the Rookies, God must ride a Wing..:)

Safe Travels, you Edson connection..!

AJ

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 am

Todd, you just keep telling yourself that. It never hurts to believe that you give advice to God :lol:

That said, when I ride with others and they all stop to put on rain gear, I don't. And I do not seem to get wet. Now if it is raining when I have to leave, I put on the rain gear. This situation does not happen all the time though, as I have ridden in a shower that turned into a three day rain, and had not put my rain gear on till it was really too late. I definitely do not give advice to God, :mrgreen:

One thing I have noticed is that I always seem to hit some rain if I ride west, but never if I am traveling east. (oh, you do know that weather patterns travel westerly to easterly, right? so if I ride east, I am riding away from them, west I am moving towards them...) and of course, there are exceptions, like weather moving up from the south. :evil:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 am

Seems like an awfully long ride if you just go towards the East... a bit over 24,000 miles I bet....LOL

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:55 pm

bjatwood wrote:Seems like an awfully long ride if you just go towards the East... a bit over 24,000 miles I bet....LOL

Yeah, I guess it would be - if one only rode east. I get wet sometimes, so that would probably mean that sometimes I ride west. Good catch... :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Took a ride down to Grand Forks last week end with a buddy. We left with dark purple clouds and a few spits of rain, we rode east and south and away from the clouds. The day turned out great warm and clear. :D Next day leaving for home it was spitting rain as we were gearing up, spit rain all the way to Devils lake just enough to be an inconvenience :roll: . We turned north and had strong cross winds but still an inconvenience. Then about 20 miles from home we paid the piper and the bills was big, because the rain was just an inconvenience we had never geared up for the rain, and when we hit the wall of water there was no sense stopping.

CDub73
Motorcycle: Current
1983 GL1100A
1999 SV650S

Previous
1982 GL1100I

Postby CDub73 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:56 am

We could have used some of your magic the last two week in Calgary, Canmore, High River and every small town from here to the American border. Forget about it being a "hundred year" flood. This was the largest and most destructive flood to hit southern Alberta in all of recorded history. I personally have family that was, and still is evacuated. Their only wish is to return home so they can begin clean up. As a first responder I was part of the evacuation teams during the initial stages. I personally had to order some of my family out of the home. And in that home was all my family who previously had been evacuated from high river (yes we are all aware of the irony of this towns name) and though this house would be safe. After the evacuation our mission turned to security and stabilization. The destruction I saw was indescribable. Thankfully I live in an amazing city where instead of overwhelming numbers of looters (there were a few) we had an overwhelming number of volunteers descending into all affected neighbourhoods ( rich and poor) to assist, rebuild and repair. Despite all the destruction and sadness I have personally seen some of the greatest acts of courage, kindness and friendship. Sorry about my rambling. We could have used some of your magic earlier :).

Cdub73.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Sure wish I had your magic....If there is a cloud within 50 miles that has rain in it, I find it, get under it and travel in the same direction. Thank goodness (for riding purposes only) it very seldom rains around where I live. I too could use some of your magic. Also if I plan on a camping trip, put the tent on the bike, that will guarantee rain where ever I stop for the camp. People that know me and go to the same bike rallies I go to are starting to call me and find out which rallies I am going to so they can stay away from that one and go to a different one. Or, will try to talk me out of going......This black cloud always find my camp....sheeesh

My feelings on looters....under any conditions....it should be legal to shoot to kill for any looter caught red handed.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”