what's in your saddle bags???


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RBGA_BOB
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Wellington, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
Contact:

what's in your saddle bags???

Postby RBGA_BOB » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm



I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before, if so I apologize. But everyone has those thing they just won't leave home without. So I ask, aside from your standard riding gear (helmet, gloves, glasses, etc..) What do you keep in your bags that you consider important? Myself, being a mechanic by nature, always have a basic set of tools on board. Along with tools, I always have a towel and first aid kit with a flash light. What about you???



User avatar
m2102
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: pontiac,illinois
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby m2102 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 pm

I keep pretty much the same in my bags. small tool kit that came with it,and also now have 2 rain suits that I now carry just in case.

User avatar
redial
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 am
Location: Kapunda, SouthAustralia
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby redial » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 pm

I like to add a multimeter (for electric work), and some light grease (like petroleum jelly - for those annoying squeaks that can occur on a trip). I dont know if you included a first aid kit, but I do - you never know when you will bark your knuckles while opening coconuts down by the beach. I also like to have some water to drink, not much, but just plain water.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

User avatar
bcassel
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: Woodland, CA
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. Originally Candywine color, now Chrysler Cool Vanilla.

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby bcassel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Mini camera, hand air pump, sweatshirt, long sleeve T shirt, Motorcycle covers (1 full, 1 sunshade) small Halon fire extinguisher, first aid kit

User avatar
jonnypar
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 am
Location: Fullerton, California
Motorcycle: 2007 Black Cherry Goldwing 1800

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby jonnypar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Manual for bike and gps, cover, two towels, a small tool kit, an extra set of gloves and an e-cig.
Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:31 am

Rain Gear, more gloves, extra helmet, owners manuals, tools that came with the bike, first aid kit, water, lots of SD cards full of music, a couple of extra Navigation unit CF cards loaded with the most up to date mapping and if on a trip, a bike cover and waterproof overgloves and overboots. Also my magic dry towel for cleaning up the after rain effects and bugs. Small glove boxes contain a pad and a pen and some short driving gloves. Front glove box contains lip balm, sunscreen and a side stand underfoot, and half a dozen one inch ball bearings.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
wjnfirearms
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm
Location: Portersville, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C
Contact:

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:20 am

Rain suits, kickstand plate for soft surfaces, small but deliberately stocked tool bag, tire puncture kit, and something relatively new out there, a throttle cable repair kit.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 am

Rain pants.....that's it. House keys and cell phone while I'm actually riding.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

bustedwing
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Hermansville, Mich
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike
Contact:

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby bustedwing » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:49 am

I keep most of what has been said already, cold weather gear, spray detail, small socket set, fire ext, but I like TMV thinking and will be adding the ball bearings to a front pocket.
Proud member Patriot Guard

User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 am

themainviking wrote:Rain Gear, more gloves, extra helmet, owners manuals, tools that came with the bike, first aid kit, water, lots of SD cards full of music, a couple of extra Navigation unit CF cards loaded with the most up to date mapping and if on a trip, a bike cover and waterproof overgloves and overboots. Also my magic dry towel for cleaning up the after rain effects and bugs. Small glove boxes contain a pad and a pen and some short driving gloves. Front glove box contains lip balm, sunscreen and a side stand underfoot, and half a dozen one inch ball bearings.



Come on, let us into it, what on earth do you do with the ball bearings?
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

User avatar
RoadRogue
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Castlegar BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:36 pm

I am a little nicer, I keep a pocket full of those 1/4" plastic Airsoft pellets to use as a deterrent to tailgaters. They do no damage but make a heck of a noise when I throw a handful of them into the air over my shoulder. Make the vehicle behind me stay well back. If they weren't too close they wouldn't have run into them now would they? 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:51 pm

RoadRogue wrote:I am a little nicer, I keep a pocket full of those 1/4" plastic Airsoft pellets to use as a deterrent to tailgaters. They do no damage but make a heck of a noise when I throw a handful of them into the air over my shoulder. Make the vehicle behind me stay well back. If they weren't too close they wouldn't have run into them now would they? 8-)


Okay, I would be willing to try those. It just might keep me from getting shot when I drop some of the ball bearings on the road in the United States to discourage dipsydoodle tailgaters. Not worried about getting shot in Canada, as most people do not carry hand guns. When I lived in New Mexico, I found another carry item that worked even better than ball bearings. Perfectly round rock core samples. They were about an inch and a half in diameter, and bounced just excellently when thrown over the left shoulder up into the air. Keep in mind that I have not had occasion to use these ball bearings in a very long time, so perhaps drivers are no longer drinking before getting behind the wheel. I started carrying them after I was hit from behind by a 1979 Cadillac, while riding through Denver, CO. The damage to the bike was over $5K, back in 1989, and the damage to me took eight months to grow back in and heal.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:48 am

themainviking wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:I am a little nicer, I keep a pocket full of those 1/4" plastic Airsoft pellets to use as a deterrent to tailgaters. They do no damage but make a heck of a noise when I throw a handful of them into the air over my shoulder. Make the vehicle behind me stay well back. If they weren't too close they wouldn't have run into them now would they? 8-)


Okay, I would be willing to try those. It just might keep me from getting shot when I drop some of the ball bearings on the road in the United States to discourage dipsydoodle tailgaters. Not worried about getting shot in Canada, as most people do not carry hand guns. When I lived in New Mexico, I found another carry item that worked even better than ball bearings. Perfectly round rock core samples. They were about an inch and a half in diameter, and bounced just excellently when thrown over the left shoulder up into the air. Keep in mind that I have not had occasion to use these ball bearings in a very long time, so perhaps drivers are no longer drinking before getting behind the wheel. I started carrying them after I was hit from behind by a 1979 Cadillac, while riding through Denver, CO. The damage to the bike was over $5K, back in 1989, and the damage to me took eight months to grow back in and heal.


And I have an American friend who refuses to travel east of Italy because she says it is too dangerous!
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

User avatar
tfdeputydawg
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:00 am

Well, it's a trunk for me (triked!)
Rain suits
First Aid kit (use to be a EMT)
Tire plug kit and compressor for my friends that don't use RideOn!
Basic tool kit
Half cover

RBGA_BOB
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Wellington, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
Contact:

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby RBGA_BOB » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:35 am

I've never thought about the ball bearing idea. A bit devious, but effective. I might try the plastic "BB's" first though. Good addition to my luggage. :twisted:

User avatar
mtn_boy1
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Oxford, NC
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:58 am

I carry all the 'normal' stuff if I'm on a ride around my area. On longer rides, I carry my clothes, sleeping bag, 2 man tent, etc. As far as tailgaters go, this worked very well on my 1100. Looking for a way to put it on my 1500.
Attachments
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

User avatar
wing rider 2012
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm
Location: Southern Oregon
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby wing rider 2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:43 am

I carry a basic set of tools, tires plugs, small portable air compressor, rain gear and a first aid kit.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

User avatar
Sally
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Dundee,NY
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Same things..tools,first aid kit,two cans air,plug kit,rain gear,flash light,bottle of water ( clean wound/drink/ cool of bike. )extra face shield and MAPS. Sally :lol:

User avatar
odewing
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 am
Location: Carrying Place, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: "1982 GL1100 Standard

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby odewing » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I carry hand pump, tools,first aid,etc. i also added one of those spring loaded coin holders.

User avatar
detdrbuzzard
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:54 am
Location: 42.23/83.33/636
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:10 pm

a first aid kit, slime compressor, battery cables, a small tool kit, kick stand plate, and a half cover for the wing
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

User avatar
wally
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Yale, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby wally » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:00 pm

I carry a lot of what has been mentioned (not the ball bearings) but do carry spare fuses as well which I don't recall anyone mentioning, and one of those free multi-meters from Harbor Freight, the Honda Owner's Manual and the "Gold Book". Boy I wonder what the Harley guys carry!

User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 am

wally wrote:I carry a lot of what has been mentioned (not the ball bearings) but do carry spare fuses as well which I don't recall anyone mentioning, and one of those free multi-meters from Harbor Freight, the Honda Owner's Manual and the "Gold Book". Boy I wonder what the Harley guys carry!



What is the "Gold Book"?
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

User avatar
wally
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Yale, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby wally » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:02 am

The Gold book is a directory of GWRRA members all over the country that you can call on in a time of need.
























g

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 am

Let's see...

Spare earplugs, ziplock baggies, kickstand base for soft ground, waterproof gloves, warm gloves, summer gloves, flashlight (can't believe people missed that one - ever tried to fix your bike in the dark?), intercom cables, liter water bottle, OEM tool kit, my own tool kit (socket set, wrenches, butane soldering torch, solder, spare wire, multimeter, wrenches, screwdrivers, and so on), spare fuses, first aid kit, Gold Book, half cover, several small clean towels, bungee cords, tire plug kit, I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but I'm listing these from memory.

User avatar
tandem54
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: what's in your saddle bags???

Postby tandem54 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

Rain gear, Zip-lock baggies, coin holder, kickstand base for soft ground, warm gloves, small flashlight, water bottle, OEM tool kit, some wrenches, spare wire, multi screwdriver, and a multi tool, first aid kit, half cover, clean towels, 2 bungee cords, can of pledge, tire air gauge and a tire plug kit! Wow that sounds like a lot!


I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle


Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 04 Spirit and 1 guest