What to do about a flat tire.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
steve 302
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 interstate

What to do about a flat tire.

Postby steve 302 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 am

Being new to owning a goldwing me and the wife have been going on short rides. What do you do when going on long rides and you get a flat? Do you just plug it? What do you use to air it back up? Being in alaska when you travel you could be miles away from help.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: What to do about a flat tire.

Postby bustedwing » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

For a tubeless tire you carry a package of plugs along with the tools to insert and prepare the tire . For tube tires,if you are not mechanically inclined, call a repair shop and be prepared to wait a long time. If you can handle wrenching, it will involve jacking up the bike, SAFELY unbolting the front tire, breaking the tire off the rim, pulling the tube out of the rim, finding the injury (or replacement with a new tube), put the tube back into the rim without pinching it, re-inflating with your onboard air compressor. Some have used "fix a flat" but itmakes a huge mess inside the rim and some techs refuse to work on some rims with any such sealers in them. The rear tires are, especially on Gold Wings, extremely complex to do on the side of the road, I do not recommend anybody tackle it except under no other alternative circumstances. You have an awful lot of weight to block up and the rear hardware that has tocome off especially to someone that has not done it before is daunting. Even the front tire should only be done in dire circumstances.
Proud member Patriot Guard

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

Carry a plug kit with you. Plug the tire and pump it up with the on board air compressor. And ride to the nearest tire repair shop and have the tire replaced. Or, others will chime in here but you could put a tube in it or a patch. But with only 2 wheels to start with I replace my tires when something invade them... ;)

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:20 pm

As stated, I have tubeless tyres so I carry a compressor (the 1800 doesn't have one built in) and plugs for the tyre. If you have tubed tyres then you either carry spare tubes, tyre levers and compressor so you can change it yourself, or always have a mobile phone with you so you can call for help, but you will be in for a long wait.. I have a bike trailer at home, so worst case I call the wife (assuming she is not with me when I get the puncture) and she comes to me with the car and trailer and I take the bike home and fix it at my leisure with the correct tools!!

Be very careful with using the foam products that fill your tyre with foam and let you continue to ride, they bugger up most TPMS systems and are not that great on a motorcycle!!

Gary

bykerbiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby bykerbiker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:57 am

Hi I,m surprised no one mentioned that there is a number of very good sealants which enable you to ride on with a puncture , I see you have a 1100 interstat , Ride-On being one of many and its 2009, 10, 12 you cannot use it in . I Once rode from the Alguarve Portugal to NE England 2000 mls with a tire which had puncture with a tire sealant all had to do was remove a screw and the sealant worked and pump the tire up ,surprising not alot of tire pressure drop. Ride long and safe.
Welcome to the best GW site

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:04 am

RideOn is TPMS friendly except for the cheaply made, unprotected sensors used on the GoldWing system!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”