Advice for riding a distance

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tflanders
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 A Aspencade

Advice for riding a distance

Postby tflanders » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:47 am

I just got back in the saddle again after selling my Goldwing 19 years ago because I had a kid. I bought a real nice 98 Goldwing Aspencade this past winter and am enjoying it a lot! My goal is to ride from Minnesota out to the West Coast, down to San Diego, over to Phoenix, to Bullard Texas, to Memphis and back to Minnesota. I would give myself like three months, not in a hurry. Ok, so I am back riding. I notice I need to stand up after about an hour to let blood back into my butt! I have a stock seat and just cant afford a $1000 for a custom seat. I rode about 200 miles yesterday, taking an hour break visiting a friend at the halfway point. I am sore today, last night it was tough even sitting in my recliner at home! My butt was sore! So, please tell me it will get better, the more I ride? I notice my neck is a little weak today, Im sure from wearing a helmet. My back was getting a little sore yesterday, I had to be careful how I moved. I am guess if I got into the gym and just got in better physical shape, this would help a lot. I am on SSDI and will be for the rest of my life. I have back problems and stomach issues that prevent me from working. I am also a big guy, 6'2" and 345lbs. I do have a back rest on my bike that helps a lot. I would love some feedback and am willing to do the work to be able to take my dream ride some day!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Advice for riding a distance

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 am

You will find that the more and longer you ride that it will become easier to make longer trips. It will take some time getting your body used to riding again. Exercise is a plus. There are gel pads and air pads available that work well and don't cost an arm and a leg. Even Wal-Mart carries a gel seat pad for $20 I'm told. Does your helmet fit properly? One that is ill fitting or is too heavy will always be a problem. A hundred miles between stops and you might have to schedule 6 months instead of 3. ;) :lol:

http://www.saddlemen.com/products/saddl ... -home.html
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 am

I am in the same boat as you, although I have been riding since sixteen years old. But comfort accessories are worth their weight in gold. For your height do you have at least hi-way pegs or floor boards, better. Also, are the handlebars adjusted so you can sit comfortable? They are adjustable. Of course the seat is a consideration, search for a cover less expensive then the whole seat. Enjoy these beautiful machines as much as you can. Ride safe
Proud member Patriot Guard

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Glad you're able to get in the saddle again. Be sure that you experiment with your suspension settings to optimize the ride. Bottom line: Even when you are physically up to snuff physically it makes for a more enjoyable trip if you plan a butt break every 100 miles or so. Gotta smell those roses. ;-)
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:55 pm

I start the season out in comfort on my wing because it's set up for ME........I have an injured back.....everyone is different.......a cruiser will kill me. The good thing about the Wing is you have the option of foot pegs under you.....this is the big plus for oldsters who can benefit from the riding position......(something gotta hold us up) and a set of nice highway boards to stretch out on. I am not a believer in the 'your ass gotta get miles under it" If your bike is set up for comfort to match your body and you kept your body "ride ready", you should be good from day one.

Goin to the gym is an excellent idea, work on the legs and arms...(alot of fatigue on the handlebars make it hard on the shoulders and arms)....being in shape is what is gonna put on the miles in comfort......not a Corbin seat....your actions are held acountable for how you feel when you ride
I workout all winter to prep for spring.....it's a good goal, keeps you feelin good.

The bad time to wonder if your ready, is your first ride and you fit the tv commercial "the fat child left behind" ..... NOW you want to know what modifications can be done to the bike to make LD rides possible....... It just ain't gonna happen.
If the Wing you have is the bike for you.....you need to parrallel all the good qualities with 'off the bike efforts'
Hey, I see a guy on my block ride back and forth from their house to the local watering hole daily and talk 'bikes'.....money, money, money......
Get yourself ready for riding....when your body is feeling good your senses are sharpened.....even the destination is more enjoyable when you get there.

Everything you do is gonna depend on YOU and what you are capable of......Give the body your best prep and your bike will perform....only then can you find flaws in the seat/suspension/tirebrand......
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Nothing personal, but I agree to disagree, that even experienced riders that park their bikes for the winter need to get the kinks out the first few rides of the season. And being away from it for a number of years counts even more. I'm sure others will chime in here with the same feelings.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

I ain't hard to get along with......you're right, i'm wrong.......
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Dogsled wrote:being in shape is what is gonna put on the miles in comfort......not a Corbin seat....your actions are held acountable for how you feel when you ride

only then can you find flaws in the seat/suspension/tirebrand......

OK, so it's not the seat.

Oh, but it might be the seat! :lol:
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:07 pm

It's definitely the seat.Even if you can only get a used aftermarket seat go for it.10 times better than stock.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm

And the other problem in the hot summer on long rides is that we cook our butts on that old saddle. Cotton underwear under blue jeans are about the worst frying pan there is. LD Comfort makes underwear that wicks away moisture and helps the old butt to not get so sore. They ain't cheap for underwear, but they are worth it.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Okay, it is or it ain't the seat, but it probably is the seat if you are on a stock one. I do not understand why a motorcycle manufacturer of Honda's reputation cannot make a seat for a touring motorcycle, and some folks love the seats on these Goldwings (they must be shaped weird :lol: ) but I did not find Honda's incarnation comfortable. That said, seats is pricey. There are many bandaid solutions that others have tried with varying success. Gel pads, sheepskin covers, beaded seats, these are all bandaids, cause they mostly do not work for a bunch of folks, however, they do work for some people. Depending on the type of sore butt you have, the solution changes. I tried sheepskin - no good. I tried gel pad - no good. I tried underwear and found I was getting somewhere, so I bought an after market seat, and I can ride a thousand miles in a day. I don't because I am older and my attention span ain't what it should be for thousand mile rides, but I pushed it to that when I first got the new seat to see if I could do it, and I can. I have no idea if I could ride a thousand the next day tho, cause I have not tried it. My typical day is only about 400 to 500 miles. I am out to enjoy the ride, not the end of the ride. If I get to where I can only ride a hundred miles in the morning, and then another hundred in the afternoon, then that is what I will do.

The main statement I wanted to make here is - enjoy your ride, however long or short it may be. Also, life is short so eat your desert first.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tflanders
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 A Aspencade

Postby tflanders » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Geez what a great bunch of advice. I appreciate it. This is the first I have heard of an aftermarket seat. I will check into them. I also looked at the gel seat covered in sheep skin and will def check the undies! I think I better get to the gym, that is going to give me the most help right now. Yah, Im not impressed with the stock seat on my bike. It does have 67k on it though. I will reread all of these posts and check out each one. Any more wisdom on the subject would be appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, I do appreciate it!

Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Postby Spook1800 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:56 am

landisr wrote:Nothing personal, but I agree to disagree, that even experienced riders that park their bikes for the winter need to get the kinks out the first few rides of the season. And being away from it for a number of years counts even more. I'm sure others will chime in here with the same feelings.

Ron

WHAT?......park it for the winter?....you're in the wrong part of the world.............. :P :P
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 am

Spook1800 wrote:
landisr wrote:Nothing personal, but I agree to disagree, that even experienced riders that park their bikes for the winter need to get the kinks out the first few rides of the season. And being away from it for a number of years counts even more. I'm sure others will chime in here with the same feelings.

Ron

WHAT?......park it for the winter?....you're in the wrong part of the world.............. :P :P

Yeah, we know.... we have heard it all from redial -- all winter -- constantly..... :mrgreen: One thing though - do you guys want ALL OF US to move to Oz?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:34 pm

I love my stock seat, but I do stand up very hour or so to provide relief. Standing for 20 to 30 seconds helps me a bunch.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 pm

What is that line....."Everything in moderation....."

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:44 pm

The wife and I try to take a road trip every year, usually averages around 6000 miles. What I have found works best for me is every gas stop (around 100mi)..I make sure I get off the bike and walk around for about 5 minutes. This gets all the blood flow going again. I have a stock seat and don't mind it at all. I am also like others, in that I only travel about 350-400 mi a day. The ride is the vacation, not the destination. So no hurry to get anywhere. Only time I do more (like 600+) a day is when traveling due west across Texas/NM...not much to see on the southern route.

On a more personal note....like it or not....it probably wouldn't hurt to shrink to fit the ass to the seat. At your weight, I would guess there is a little overhang there. Granted, you can get a custom seat to spread the load some, but a 30" wide seat will look funny when you're not on the bike, not cool. Getting in shape also strengthens your body core so you don't fatigue nearly as quick as when you don't have the muscle support you need.

Above not to offend, just calling it as I see it.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”