Hell To Toe Shifter

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
marksviper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Hell To Toe Shifter

Postby marksviper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Hello Everyone I'm New To Goldwing Doc's... I'm Looking For Information On A 1985 Interstate Concerning The Heel To Toe Shifter... I'm Having Trouble While Gearing Down, Going Up Is Fine, But Down Is Less Than Nice... Any Help Would Be Nice...

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: Hell To Toe Shifter

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 am

Could you be more specific as to what the problem is while downshifting.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Another fellow had problems.I think he found the rubber on the original shifting lever was the problem.I believe he used a piece of hose to fill the gap in some magical way.Probably just slipped it over the lever end and reassembled the shifter.

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Another fellow had problems.I think he found the rubber on the original shifting lever was the problem.I believe he used a piece of hose to fill the gap in some magical way.Probably just slipped it over the lever end and reassembled the shifter.

I will try that, there is a small amount of slack between the forks of the shifter and the orginal shifter.... Thank's for you imput....

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

wjnfirearms wrote:Could you be more specific as to what the problem is while downshifting.

While down shifting the hell to toe doesn't fully engage the gear's all the time, what you hear is; as if the gear isn't fully seated yet...

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Using The Advice, I Really Dug Into The Problem And Found That The Orginal Shifter Isn't Round, But More Squared Off... So I Opened Or Made The Fork's On The Shifter A Little Larger And Then Added A Medium Size Spring On The Rear And Now I Have All Gear's Up And Down With No Problem, I Need To Get Use Or That Is Learn How To Use It Better... THank's For Your Help...

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 am

Good you solved the trouble.
Would you post some pictures?

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:12 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Good you solved the trouble.
Would you post some pictures?

I Sure Will, But I Have To Figure Out How To Do THat....

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm

I May Have It Figured Out On Picture Posting.... Let's See....

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm

I'll Take A Couple Of Updated Pic's Tomorrow And Then Post Them.....

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks.you can post multiple pictures and then place inline on a single post

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 am

If we haven't welcomed you to the website already, welcome. You have a beautiful Wing and I hope sheggives you many miles and many smiles.
Proud member Patriot Guard

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Heal To Toe Shifter (2).jpg[/attachment]
bustedwing wrote:If we haven't welcomed you to the website already, welcome. You have a beautiful Wing and I hope sheggives you many miles and many smiles.

Hey Buddy THank You Very Much For Your Comment On My Wing, My Dad Left Her To Me, After He Passed Away... She Sat For Over 9 Year's I've Been "Hobby" Working On Her For A Little Over Four Year's... I Torn Her Down And Then Started With The Frame Seating On Two Cynder Blocks And Started Rebuilding The Enging And Many Many Part's In Between... During This Coming Winter I'll Take Back Apart Again To Properly Clean & Polish Her The Right Way.... I'm Very Proud Of Her... Here Are A Couple Close Up Pic's Of The Shifter That I Reworked To Her To Work Very Nice.... Also I've Included A Picture Of Her New Mudflap; I Want TO Add A Few Light's On Her....
Attachments

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:02 am

It looks like you have done a lot of work to that beautiful bike, and I can tell it actually means something to you. The two pictures of the shifter are a little dark and I even tried to enlarge them but still could not tell enough detail. But that's ok, You are doing great work. That bike will last a long time under your care, your father would be proud.

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 pm

bustedwing wrote:It looks like you have done a lot of work to that beautiful bike, and I can tell it actually means something to you. The two pictures of the shifter are a little dark and I even tried to enlarge them but still could not tell enough detail. But that's ok, You are doing great work. That bike will last a long time under your care, your father would be proud.

Thank's Alot For Your Input, I Discovered A Small Concern Today While Pulling Her Out Of The Shop... The Clutch Is Sticky, I'm Thinking Of Draining The Fluid And Replacing, What Do You Think????

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:45 pm

One thing I do every year is change the fluid in the master cylinder and then bleed some thru the system. That just gives clean fluid to start the year with. If it hasn't been changed in several years, it is probably contaminated with moisture, as it will suck up moisture like a sponge. That moisture makes things move like a chatter, and as it heats up and turns to steam and lowers the boiling point of the fluid. ? So it does make a big difference in how your clutch and brakes will act, over a relatively cheap amount of oil.

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:41 pm

bustedwing wrote:One thing I do every year is change the fluid in the master cylinder and then bleed some thru the system. That just gives clean fluid to start the year with. If it hasn't been changed in several years, it is probably contaminated with moisture, as it will suck up moisture like a sponge. That moisture makes things move like a chatter, and as it heats up and turns to steam and lowers the boiling point of the fluid. ? So it does make a big difference in how your clutch and brakes will act, over a relatively cheap amount of oil.

I'll Do That With All My Fluid's, I've Changed All, But The Clutch, But Starting Tomorrow I'll Be Taking Care Of That.... Thank's For That Tip... I'm Adding A Couple Pic's Of The Heal To Toe Shifter And Another Of Mudflap... I Trimmed Down The Edging, Because I Thought It Was To Much... What Do You Thing!!!
Attachments

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:55 pm

The pictures look a lot better, and the shifter I have is a lot higher in the front, don't know if this makes a difference with yours or not, maybe that is how you prefer it. The rear mudflap looks great to me.

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 pm

bustedwing wrote:The pictures look a lot better, and the shifter I have is a lot higher in the front, don't know if this makes a difference with yours or not, maybe that is how you prefer it. The rear mudflap looks great to me.

Thank's For Your Comment On The Mudflap... Now, For The Shifter, I've Tried To Raise It Up But Was Unable To Do So... I've Removed The Orignal Shifter And It Won't Go Any Higher, Due To The Exhaust; But Thank God I Final Got Her To Work... Now, I Have To Get Use To It And How To Work It Without Any Hitches... On A New Note, I Think Around Here We Have Had Two Day's This Month It Hasn't Rained; And I Don't Want To Ride In The Rain.... Damn, I Would Love To Get Her Out On The Road....

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 pm

I understand your qualms about riding in the rain but I don't really mind as long as I am prepared, and I don't have to do it at night. I did that once out of bullheadedness and in hindsight realized that was a big risk. Also, lightning gets my attention, so I would rather not ride near that. But if I am on a long trip I won't let rain slow me down. Just ride safe.

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 am

bustedwing wrote:I understand your qualms about riding in the rain but I don't really mind as long as I am prepared, and I don't have to do it at night. I did that once out of bullheadedness and in hindsight realized that was a big risk. Also, lightning gets my attention, so I would rather not ride near that. But if I am on a long trip I won't let rain slow me down. Just ride safe.

I Understand That, but My Fear Happen, I Laid Her Down Friday, She Won't Lean To The Left In A Very Small Curve... Folks Are Telling Me That It Is The Steering Head Bearing... I Don't Understand How That Would Stop Her From Leaning, But She Is Still In Pretty Good Shape... The Left Side Of The Fairing Need's Work And The Left Mirror; I'll Probably Just Replace The Whole Fairing, But Other Than That; THat's All That Got Damaged... I THink I'm Pretty Lucky.... I Just Don't Understand Why She Won't Lean....

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't know. If you have a large empty space where you can set up two cones approximately 50 feet apart. Try doing figure 8s around the cones going easy. See if it's a problem with the bike or the driver. As you get used to the turns change the distance, maybe to 40 feet. And go as slow as you can without putting your feet down. This is real good practice for turns in both directions and balance. Good luck.

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm

bustedwing wrote:I don't know. If you have a large empty space where you can set up two cones approximately 50 feet apart. Try doing figure 8s around the cones going easy. See if it's a problem with the bike or the driver. As you get used to the turns change the distance, maybe to 40 feet. And go as slow as you can without putting your feet down. This is real good practice for turns in both directions and balance. Good luck.

She Did Fine @ 35ft, I Had No Problem's, I Just Don't What Went Wrong.... I've Played It Over & Over In My Mind, I Just Don't Know What Really Happen.... But The Insurance Cover's All Item's, The Biggest Is The Upper Fairing And Mirror's...

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Could be (and I know you won't like hearing this) you froze. You had it in your mind what you needed to do but the action never happened. It happens a lot, I have been to bike accidents on a long slow curve, driver said bike would not turn. How do you turn a bike, you lean it. But if you focus on a spot you want to miss, you will drive right into it. You have to focus on a spot away from the danger area, then you will drive that way. Keep this in mind, don't look at what you want to avoid, look where you want to go. Good luck

marksviper

Postby marksviper » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 pm

bustedwing wrote:Could be (and I know you won't like hearing this) you froze. You had it in your mind what you needed to do but the action never happened. It happens a lot, I have been to bike accidents on a long slow curve, driver said bike would not turn. How do you turn a bike, you lean it. But if you focus on a spot you want to miss, you will drive right into it. You have to focus on a spot away from the danger area, then you will drive that way. Keep this in mind, don't look at what you want to avoid, look where you want to go. Good luck

I Believe For The Most Part I Did Freeze, There Were Several Item's Or Plan's THat Went Thur My Mind, But I Everyone Think's THat Streeing Bearing's Were At Fate, But I Believe I Have Proved They Were Not... I Can Not Remember For Sure But I Believe The Kick Stand Was Down And That Was What Cause The Acidence....

Return to “Goldwing Chat”