Hands get numb

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Hands get numb

Postby mtn_boy1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Lately I've noticed my hands, especially the right one, gets numb a lot faster than it used to. (Today it started getting numb after about 45 minutes) My 1500 has the foam grips. I'm wondering if I should change them to a firmer style, if it's just my age catching up, or if this is just normal? On my 1100, I had a throttle lock so I could just set it for a few seconds and straighten my arm a little to let the blood flow. On the 1500 I have the cruise which I don't like using except on the Interstate. I will say this, I screwed my elbow up several years ago pitching. Probably needed Tommy Johns surgery but just quit playing ball and let it heal itself so this could be the root of it. Just wondering if different grips, adjusting the handle bars or something else might help. Anyone else have this problem?

'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Hands get numb

Postby golden highway » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 pm

I was having the same issue. I took off the foam grips and got ones that were harder and a little larger in diameter and no more problem. I found I was squeezing harder because of the foam. The larger diameter seemed to offer more comfort and control on the throttle. Funny when you are younger you don't notice anything, you just ride and if it is uncomfortable you get over in an hour or less. Getting older has its pros and cons.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:16 am

You might look into the possibility that you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which is best fixed in the winter (when you would not be riding) by surgery. It is not a big surgery, but it will disable your hand for a few days and take about three to four weeks to fully heal. I had this problem and had both hands done. No more problems. If you do not have winter where you live, then I have no advice on when to have it done if you need it. :mrgreen:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 am

Get yourself a Cramp Buster for the right grip. The work well when you aren't able to us the cruise.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

IBArider
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby IBArider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Although the Goldwing has cruise control a Cramp Buster helps with roads that you don't want to use a
cruise control on such as a winding 2 lane road. I recommend putting a Cramp Buster on as I really like the use I get from mine.

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 am

+1 for the crampbuster. It is a good tool. I have the same problem with my 68 year old hands and I discovered what I think causes it, at least for me. I will TRY to explain. I think it has to do with blood circulation that is "cut off" when the wrist is lower than the hand. Hold your arm up level and look at it; when you move your hand up, the wrist goes down. If my wrist is "down" for just a few minutes I start getting the numb, tingling feeling. If I keep the hand/wrist level or the hand pointing down just a little, the hand never tingles. The crampbuster allows/makes me keep the hand and wrist at the level position, or just a touch "broken over center". I don't know why, but it works for me. I have to make a conscious effort to do this, and I have to adjust the crampbuster periodically. I hope this helps.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 am

Another problem for me and my wrists is the angle of the bars. My wrists are turned out to the side when I have a full grip. I end up having to ride with my hands angled inward on the grips.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Postby furnacedoc » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

I found that if I wear a ggood pair of riding gloves I don't have the numb hand problem, try a gel pair if regular leather doesn't help. I also ride a lot of miles on my road bicycle and always use gloves when riding. See Ya on the road.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:38 pm

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 am

I readjusted the handle bar and raised them about 4 inches from where they were when I got the bike. Don't know what the factory setting is....but I find with my hands/arms higher a few inches that helps a lot

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:32 am

I agree, bigger grips are better. I plan on changing out the foam grips on my bike soon. Gloves make a difference too. I have a pair of thin gloves that have leather palms and a stretchy breathable fabric on back and my hands get numb after 30 mins. My other waterproof full leather gloves have more padding and my hands never go numb riding with them.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:38 am

I bought and installed the iso grips. I haven't been able to ride since. I've either been working working night shift, sleeping, or it's been pouring the rain down. I actually see some sun, so maybe today. Wow, as I'm typing, I look outside and it is POURING! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully the grips will help (someday).
'Soldier HARD'
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:54 am

mtn_boy1 wrote:I bought and installed the iso grips. I haven't been able to ride since. I've either been working working night shift, sleeping, or it's been pouring the rain down. I actually see some sun, so maybe today. Wow, as I'm typing, I look outside and it is POURING! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully the grips will help (someday).

Hope your grips solve your problem. Now for the serious stuff.............how 'bout sending a little of that rain over our way! Ride Safe!

Chief
Darkside #1609

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:42 pm

[quote][/quote]how 'bout sending a little of that rain over our way!
Chief, For the first time in about 10 years, nowhere in NC is under drought conditions. As a matter of fact, I think we are +13 inches for the year so far. But I'll bet you, if there was any way, everyone in NC would vote to send this stuff to you! LOL What part of Texas are you in? I spent a couple of years in El Paso (Ft Bliss), it was my favorite duty station of my whole career.

Well, that was dumb! It SAYS Combat Vets Assoc - San Antonio and PGR-San Antonio. I think I know what my next MOS will be... either Pop Up Target or In Flight Missile Repairman!

By the way Chief, San Antonio was some of the friendliest people I've ever met. I had every intention of retiring there but, ended up in NC instead.
'Soldier HARD'

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm

mtn_boy1 wrote:
how 'bout sending a little of that rain over our way!
Chief, For the first time in about 10 years, nowhere in NC is under drought conditions. As a matter of fact, I think we are +13 inches for the year so far. But I'll bet you, if there was any way, everyone in NC would vote to send this stuff to you! LOL What part of Texas are you in? I spent a couple of years in El Paso (Ft Bliss), it was my favorite duty station of my whole career.

Well, that was dumb! It SAYS Combat Vets Assoc - San Antonio and PGR-San Antonio. I think I know what my next MOS will be... either Pop Up Target or In Flight Missile Repairman!

By the way Chief, San Antonio was some of the friendliest people I've ever met. I had every intention of retiring there but, ended up in NC instead.

San Antonio area is really nice. Next June we are heading up to Gettysburg for our CVMA national convention. Hope to make it into the Carolina's for some riding. We have to make stop in Dothan, Alabama to see grandkids, and heading North from there. It will be our first time through the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are really looking forward to it.

Go for Flight Missile Repairman. I've tried Pop Up Target, it ain't what it's cracked up to be. Ride Safe!

Chief
Darkside #1609

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 am

[quote][/quote] Next June we are heading up to Gettysburg for our CVMA national convention. Hope to make it into the Carolina's for some riding.

My family lives just outside Gettysburg. I ride up there a couple of times a year. Sounds like you will have the opportunity to ride the whole PW. It's a great ride (469 miles) Speed Limit on the PW is 45 but you can run a little faster and not have a problem. When the PW ends, it becomes Skyline Drive (105 miles) and the Speed Limit drops to 35. Skyline is not as good or scenic road. You could drop off and catch one of several 'major' roads heading north. HWY 15 runs thru my town and straight to Gettysburg. You won't be near it when you are going North but you could use it to come back South. That's how I go if I'm not in a hurry. Takes me about 7 hours. If I'm in a hurry, I just take the Interstate (85 to 95 to 270) and it takes about 5 hours. Not sure what your time frame is but I envy the ride you have in front of you. Be safe. By the way, I checked and I just missed the age requirement for 'In Flight Missile Repairman'. LOL
'Soldier HARD'

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 am

mtn_boy1 wrote:
Next June we are heading up to Gettysburg for our CVMA national convention. Hope to make it into the Carolina's for some riding.

My family lives just outside Gettysburg. I ride up there a couple of times a year. Sounds like you will have the opportunity to ride the whole PW. It's a great ride (469 miles) Speed Limit on the PW is 45 but you can run a little faster and not have a problem. When the PW ends, it becomes Skyline Drive (105 miles) and the Speed Limit drops to 35. Skyline is not as good or scenic road. You could drop off and catch one of several 'major' roads heading north. HWY 15 runs thru my town and straight to Gettysburg. You won't be near it when you are going North but you could use it to come back South. That's how I go if I'm not in a hurry. Takes me about 7 hours. If I'm in a hurry, I just take the Interstate (85 to 95 to 270) and it takes about 5 hours. Not sure what your time frame is but I envy the ride you have in front of you. Be safe. By the way, I checked and I just missed the age requirement for 'In Flight Missile Repairman'. LOL

Those "age requirements" get in the way of lots of things at this age. But that's OK, the need for adrenaline rush seems to diminish with age, too.

We will have about two weeks to ramble from Dothan to Gettysburg and back. No big hurry and Babycakes and I try to limit our rides to 300-350 miles per day so we can be good tourists. I am an EXCELLENT tourist and try really hard to stimulate the local economy. I simply love to go and look. I don't care much about where I go or what I look at.
Darkside #1609

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 pm

seabeechief wrote:No big hurry and Babycakes and I try to limit our rides to 300-350 miles per day so we can be good tourists. I am an EXCELLENT tourist and try really hard to stimulate the local economy. I simply love to go and look. I don't care much about where I go or what I look at.

A lot of us meet the same criteria Chief. I am especially good at stimulating restaurant economy where ever I ride. I am not big on stimulating the Ice Cream Vendor's economy since the sawbones told me I had diabetes and had to knock off the ice cream. I like to look in old hardware stores, and maritime stores (not the ones with navy storesmen in them) and motorcycle stores and geegaw stores, if there are such things. While in the military of my country, I did not spend a lot of time looking at my country, as I was away a lot looking at other peoples countries. Now I travel the U.S. and Canada a lot, and I still do not think I shall see it all within my time. This year has been a bust due to my wife's health and then everything I have touched since about six weeks ago has broken and had to be or has to be fixed. I have two broken motorcycles at the moment, and so cannot even get the frustrations out by going for a ride. All is well though and nothing is unsurmountable. We will be up and running some time next week.

and Mtn_boy - you gotta get out and see if those grips help.

ImageImage

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:27 pm

themainviking wrote:
seabeechief wrote:No big hurry and Babycakes and I try to limit our rides to 300-350 miles per day so we can be good tourists. I am an EXCELLENT tourist and try really hard to stimulate the local economy. I simply love to go and look. I don't care much about where I go or what I look at.

A lot of us meet the same criteria Chief. I am especially good at stimulating restaurant economy where ever I ride. I am not big on stimulating the Ice Cream Vendor's economy since the sawbones told me I had diabetes and had to knock off the ice cream. I like to look in old hardware stores, and maritime stores (not the ones with navy storesmen in them) and motorcycle stores and geegaw stores, if there are such things. While in the military of my country, I did not spend a lot of time looking at my country, as I was away a lot looking at other peoples countries. Now I travel the U.S. and Canada a lot, and I still do not think I shall see it all within my time. This year has been a bust due to my wife's health and then everything I have touched since about six weeks ago has broken and had to be or has to be fixed. I have two broken motorcycles at the moment, and so cannot even get the frustrations out by going for a ride. All is well though and nothing is unsurmountable. We will be up and running some time next week.

and Mtn_boy - you gotta get out and see if those grips help.

Viking, you are right about us not seeing it all within our time. So much to see and do, and so little time. I agree with Mark Twain's premise that "youth is wasted on the young". I'm not complaining though, as I have had an exceptionally good life. I'm really pretty easy to please; I want it all and I want it now. I'm trying to cram as much as possible into the quality time I have left. Our health is pretty good right now but you and both know it can change direction without notice. Ride Safe!

Chief
Darkside #1609

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Never put off today.

Memories are much much better than dreams.

Just do it!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Hey Viking,
Like you I spent a lot of time serving my country. Luckily for me, I have been able to see quite a bit of it (as well as some other countries). I've always been a traveler and outdoors person. The difference now is, I'm trying to see it on 2 wheels. As far as trying out the grips, I've been able to ride a little in the last few days. So far they feel great. The family and I are leaving for a 3 day vacation in VA on Sunday. I'm taking the GW with me so that when they leave to come home on Wednesday, I'm either headed to Wisconsin to see my brother or I'm gonna ride all over the roads in the mountains of VA and WV for 3 or 4 days. My 12 year old son wants me to do the mountains so he can go with me. If I go to WI, I'll take2 days getting there, stay for a day or so, then 2 days back but he won't be able to go. Either way I'll definitely know if the grips help.
'Soldier HARD'

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 am

mtn_boy1 wrote:Hey Viking, I'm either headed to Wisconsin to see my brother or I'm gonna ride all over the roads in the mountains of VA and WV for 3 or 4 days. My 12 year old son wants me to do the mountains so he can go with me. If I go to WI, I'll take2 days getting there, stay for a day or so, then 2 days back but he won't be able to go. Either way I'll definitely know if the grips help.

I know which one I would be doing. Love them twisties. Throwing a bike left to right like on the tail of the dragon road, and the devil's triangle up in Tennessee, or them roads in West Virgin are just the ticket for a glorious ride, and your son would love them too. Brothers you can see anytime. Hawwwwww, snork, wheeze....... I would love to join you, but this year has been a bust for trips. So far I have had to live vicariously through this forum, reading about other peoples trips.

ImageImage

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 am

I was having the same type of issue with my right hand getting numb - I also had the foam grips. While at Wing Ding, I bought some Kury Iso grips and a cramp buster...big difference!
As other have previously mentioned, it might be your solution; it was for me :)

--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Return to “Goldwing Chat”