We are on display

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Retired
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Goldwing

We are on display

Postby Retired » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Several days ago I was on US441 in the Great Smokies National Park traveling east toward Cherokee when traffic came to a standstill. Luckily I was close to the problem and was able to see what it was.
A rider traveling west had gone into a curve way too fast and actually struck the front of an oncoming vehicle. The oncoming driver stopped, the bike ended up in the middle of the roadway with the rider down. I spoke with a rider who was behind him and he advised that he saw the rider go into the curve way too fast.
I had seen a lot of bumper stickers asking drivers to drive carefully and watch for motorcycles. We riders have the same responsibility to use care while riding. If you cannot handle your bike, learn or get something you can. If you want to be a daredevil, do it at a track, not on the highway. We owe the same duty of care to automobile drivers that we ask them to show us. If you ride, show some maturity and responsibility. When you don't, you give me and all other riders a black eye.

rono24
Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500SE

Re: We are on display

Postby rono24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:26 am

Amen brother I feel you hope this sinks in.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 am

Absolutely true. Way too many riders think they don't need training and others are just plain cocky. While I'm not in favor of mandatory rider training because allowing legislators to make mandates ultimately can cause more problems than they solve, it is a problem that needs a solution.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 pm

You just can't fix DUMB! Natural selection will weed out the Good riders from the wannabee riders in short order. I rode with 10 other bikes last weekend and when we crossed over the State line into Iowa the whole herd of riders pulled over onto the white limestone rocks on the shoulder of the highway! I was in the back of the pack cause I had never rode with them before and continued on the paved road the turned off the 2 lane highway and waited for the pack. A couple minutes later everyone of them came roaring by with their helmets off. We don't ride with my helmet off EVER! So when the first bar came up the H.D. boys had a good 15 miles of drive time on there bikes so we pulled over. Man what a bunch of ribbing I took being the only rider with my helmet on. I took the verbal assaault with the bravado of a Goldwing man...then the strangest thing happened, one of the H.D. wives raised up her bottle of beer and said "This toast is for Brian, the only guy in the whole group who has the common sense to wear a helmet"! Well the looks of the guys said another story, so when we pulled out of the bar, they went East, and the wife and I went West back towards home.....with our helmets ON...

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:59 am

I don't care how big and strong your are, you go down and your head is most likely going to hit the curb/pavement. I can hardly ride around my yard without a helmet just don't feel right

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Nowadays, the only helmet relief I get is when I go out and turn my bike around to put it away. That means about a thirty foot ride. It is all the thrill I need at my age. A long, long time ago, in a land far far away, I had a high speed superhighway accident (I-25 going through Denver) where I was not wearing a helmet, and was hit from behind by a hit and run driver in a big ole Cadillac (nope, it wasn't Hank Williams). I lost a bunch of skin and flesh off one arm right through my leathers, but my head did not impact anywhere or anything. While healing, I thought about that, and I have not ridden helmet free since. Just before that, I had taken my first motorcycle safety course, but that part did not sink in till the time of that accident. I now take a MSF course every couple of years or so, and do parking lot practice as well as other lighter training every year. I know I ride a lot safer, and so far it has shown results as in no accidents. I have a lot of miles under my butt on motorcycles, about a third of them accident free but I would be about fifteen pounds heavier if I had the meat back that I lost oh those many years ago.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber patch down guys, and I agree - we are on display. Nobody ever remembers the good we do, but nobody ever forgets the bad.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:07 pm

bjatwood wrote: So when the first bar came up... ... one of the H.D. wives raised up her bottle of beer...

The "FIRST" bar??
I would have been gone right there. I don't go to bars...never understood the attraction....and I SURELY don't
drink and drive!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't know why everyone thinks it's so great to ride with out a helmet. I'll keep mine on with jacket and gloves thanks. I followed a co worker to work yesterday and just as soon as he got off the main road off came the helmet duh .. I'll keep my goldwing and all the proper gear. Like someone said you can't fix stupid. I say you better be tough if your going to be stupid. Some of these people are suppost to be highly educated. Sally :mrgreen:

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Ditto, Sally. I feel naked without my helmet. NEVER ride without it. Same for gloves.
You only have to fall down once to realize how important proper gear is.
Oh yeah....my experience in life is that education and common sense do NOT go hand in hand.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:48 pm

bjatwood wrote:You just can't fix DUMB! Natural selection will weed out the Good riders from the wannabee riders in short order. I rode with 10 other bikes last weekend and when we crossed over the State line into Iowa the whole herd of riders pulled over onto the white limestone rocks on the shoulder of the highway! I was in the back of the pack cause I had never rode with them before and continued on the paved road the turned off the 2 lane highway and waited for the pack. A couple minutes later everyone of them came roaring by with their helmets off. We don't ride with my helmet off EVER! So when the first bar came up the H.D. boys had a good 15 miles of drive time on there bikes so we pulled over. Man what a bunch of ribbing I took being the only rider with my helmet on. I took the verbal assaault with the bravado of a Goldwing man...then the strangest thing happened, one of the H.D. wives raised up her bottle of beer and said "This toast is for Brian, the only guy in the whole group who has the common sense to wear a helmet"! Well the looks of the guys said another story, so when we pulled out of the bar, they went East, and the wife and I went West back towards home.....with our helmets ON...

I would never ride (at least not very far) with anyone that gave me crap for what I wear/don't wear, It's all a choice! MY choice! ATGATT!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

stitch0852
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda GoldWing Aspencade

Postby stitch0852 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:57 pm

I ride with a helmet and a blaze orange reflective vest. I wear the helmet for protection and for the fact I wouldn't be able to comb my hair for a month without it! Just kidding, well it is true about the hair, but I never ride without a helmet. I may move around in my yard but not outside the yard without head protection and vest. I don't understand it.

I lived in Hawaii for three years, they also have no helmet law. I rode there without a helmet, the air, the tradewinds, the smells, it was great, but I was very lucky. That was almost three decades ago.

BigDee
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Postby BigDee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:25 am

I took a serious spill when I was young and foolish. Fortunately I was wearing a full helmet. When I recovered enough to look at the helmet and saw the rash all over it I realized then and there I would NEVER ride without it. I was wearing full protective gear and walked away with just bruises and a jammed big toe. I intend to keep riding safely for a long time. It doesn't take that long to suit up. Oh, and I still get to enjoy all the smells and sights! :D

He who throws dirt loses ground!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”