are birds getting stupider ?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

are birds getting stupider ?

Postby squirrel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 am

just returned from a 3 day 790 mile bimble around uk using mainly A roads where possible during which l've had 5 close calls with pidgeons flying out of nowhere plus 1 direct hit on visor (no idea which type of bird) also friend on a spyder took out a pheasant with his rear wheel. Added to that lots of smaller birds just strolling across the road as if they owned it . over 30 years riding im sure birds were never this suicidel (maybe next time i'll take along an eagle)

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: are birds getting stupider ?

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:02 am

squirrel wrote:just returned from a 3 day 790 mile bimble around uk using mainly A roads where possible during which l've had 5 close calls with pidgeons flying out of nowhere plus 1 direct hit on visor (no idea which type of bird) also friend on a spyder took out a pheasant with his rear wheel. Added to that lots of smaller birds just strolling across the road as if they owned it . over 30 years riding im sure birds were never this suicidel (maybe next time i'll take along an eagle)

Maybe some one should invent a "Bird " devise to keep the birds away, like the Deer deterrents things ? :lol:

Sounds like you had fun with friends, and nothing better then that. Our weather finely changed for the better. Now we can ride with out melting. :)

WA9FWT Phil

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 am

I hit a pheasant recently. She flew into the front wheel spokes. Man what an explosion! Feathers flying everywhere.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 pm

dingdong wrote:I hit a pheasant recently. She flew into the front wheel spokes. Man what an explosion! Feathers flying everywhere.

My friend which was ahead of me hit a flock of chickens, and I came next !! I thought I was going through a SNOW storm !! :lol: :lol: Like you say, feathers every where !!! :roll:

WA9FWT Phil

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:03 pm

squirrel wrote:... l've had 5 close calls with pidgeons flying out of nowhere plus 1 direct hit on visor (no idea which type of bird) also friend on a spyder took out a pheasant with his rear wheel. Added to that lots of smaller birds just strolling across the road as if they owned it . over 30 years riding im sure birds were never this suicidel (maybe next time i'll take along an eagle)

I've seen the pidgeons in England. They're about the size of a small chicken in the U.S. Must have been a minor heart attack on the direct hit. The worst I've had was bouncing a sea gull off the windshield of my 1100. He left a great big dusty bird image. That didn't kill it but just stunned him enough so that the car in the next lane finished the job. EEWWW!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:11 pm

You bring up a good point. I have had several close calls this year with birds on my bike and I have hit more than I can count with my car. I think it's a game they are playing. Kind of like kids trying to jump over moving cars. Kids today

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:06 pm

I used to regularly get birds while driving my 1971 Thunderbird at night. I don't know why, but quail, pidgeons, seagulls, partridge (all the real dumb ones) used to commit suicide on the front of that car. As to on motorcycles, I have only once hit a bird, and it was a hawk. It was chasing a rabbit, and obviously did not take me into account. It hit my headlight and died. I named that bike Hawk Slayer, and I still have it. This happened 26 years ago in New Mexico. I had a friend who killed a partridge with his face. Knocked him right off the bike, but he was wearing full leather, so he did not get hurt bad - just roughed up a bit. Some damage to the motorcycle though. He kept the partridge for dinner.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 am

Are these birds playing chicken by flying at you, or are they busy feeding on the ground? I am willing to use the horn to let them know that a monster is coming after them. I rarely hit a bird in the car, and never on the bike - but I have accounted for quite a few grasshoppers.

Did you know the bees always fly backwards, and always aim for the only piece of skin that is remotely uncovered? I have been stung twice in the throat by one of these critters. :cry:

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”