Selling a motorcycle

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Wings of Gold
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing limited 1200

Selling a motorcycle

Postby Wings of Gold » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 am

I have a question about selling a motorcycle, what are anybodys thoughts about someone taking the bike for a test drive, I understand the need for them to have a license, but what about liability or damage if they drop it. Personally I have owned 3 different bikes and never asked to ride before buying, but I also understand the need to ride before you buy. My bike weighs 800lbs and is a full dresser, a small bike is a bit different. I understand its hard to shell out pretty big bucks if there is a no ride rule. Any comments appre.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Selling a motorcycle

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 am

The No Ride Rule is pretty standard, with the provision that the bike must pass the safety inspection (if sold certified). It is not the seller's responsibility to ascertain if the buyer will like the ride of the motorcycle, it is the buyer's. The caveat is "buyer beware". I have never heard of a street test ride on a motorcycle, except with used bikes at a dealership. I will allow a test ride if the price of the bike and the buyers motorcycle license is in my hand, and I can watch the test ride (in a parking lot). After the test ride is over, with no damage, the money and license will be given back if the buyer does not want the bike. A five minute ride is enough to tell someone if they want a particular motorcycle. Bikes are too easy to drop or steal.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 am

I've never had a issue.I do profile the buyer before I decide and ask for his/her keys to their vehicle before giving them the keys to the bike.
I have refused to let some lookers to even set on the bike.

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Good advice from both comments. There is a sub division in progress near me with good roads and few people ( and no traffic) that would do for someone with cash in my hand. thx for the advice

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Good advice from both comments. There is a sub division in progress near me with good roads and few people ( and no traffic) that would do for someone with cash in my hand. thx for the advice

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:47 am

I won't buy unless I ride it first. If I like the bike and I want to buy it I work out the price with the seller if I find no problems during a test ride and no the seller won't be standing there with a fist full of cash that I have to get back from some lying cheat. I have come back from test rides saying there is noway I am buying this piece if junk. What we did the last time selling a bike is the same in reverse only I had a few buddies there and we all went for a ride. The new owner was good with that and the tire kickers went away.

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 am

Understood thanks for the info

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:26 pm

golden highway wrote:I won't buy unless I ride it first. If I like the bike and I want to buy it I work out the price with the seller if I find no problems during a test ride and no the seller won't be standing there with a fist full of cash that I have to get back from some lying cheat. I have come back from test rides saying there is noway I am buying this piece if junk. What we did the last time selling a bike is the same in reverse only I had a few buddies there and we all went for a ride. The new owner was good with that and the tire kickers went away.

I guess that is why the saying "I'm from Kentucky - you gotta show me." :lol: I would have no problem going for a ride with someone test riding a bike I was selling - but that only works if one has more than one bike. Luckily, I do. And my suggestion was the price of the bike which did not necessarily mean cash. It could mean the keys to their car. But I do want to watch them ride my bike. Oh, by the way, all this is moot if I know them, and in the small place I live, most likely I do.

ImageImage

Coolride
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 aspencade

Postby Coolride » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 am

I rarely test ride a bike when I buy one, could bite me some day. As long as it fires up, and idles and revs ok, I'm good. I just eye ball things real good, even the owner. I'll ask a question, and watch their expression when they answer, that's tells me everything. I've worked on bikes at Kawasaki for many years, and you just get a feeling if somethings not right with the bike , or the owner. :roll:

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:34 am

The Show Me state . . . . . .Missouri.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:54 am

suvcw04 wrote:The Show Me state . . . . . .Missouri.

Whoops, sorry bout that. I thought it was Kentucky.

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”