Goldwing Tight Turns - Chester

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ptynning
Motorcycle: GL 1800.2007

Goldwing Tight Turns - Chester

Postby ptynning » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Does Anybody know who Chester is and where he is from??

The tight turns he demos is unbelieveable!

Did he disconnect his Linked Brake System (LBS) on the goldwing in order to ride is back brake a little harder and do some of his slow tight turns??

I am a Newbe - just bought a 2007 Goldwing fully loaded - What a great bike!

Pete

ptynning@msn.com

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Goldwing Tight Turns - Chester

Postby gareva1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

ptynning wrote:Does Anybody know who Chester is and where he is from??

The tight turns he demos is unbelieveable!

Did he disconnect his Linked Brake System (LBS) on the goldwing in order to ride is back brake a little harder and do some of his slow tight turns??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqi7GONa ... re=related

I am a Newbe - just bought a 2007 Goldwing fully loaded - What a great bike!

Pete

ptynning@msn.com

I don't know who Chester is, but some of his stuff at the beginning is not slow and tight...it's on the border of sloppy for someone who purports to be a trick rider (I'm guessing by his extreme weight shift towards the end)

The best example of slow and tight from his video would be the part where a person is standing in the middle of his turn...that type of turn isn't as difficult as you think, especially with a person in the middle to act as your visual focal point.

You cannot diable the linked brake system on the wing---further, you don't have to; see, the rear brake requires quite a bit of force before any front brake is applied by the LBS...the front on the other hand is based on a hinged caliper on the left side...when you apply front brake, the left caliper rotates slightly upward, pushing a plunger that actuates the rear master cylinder.

You can easily apply a lot of trail braking to the 1800 before you ever encounter the LBS issues that you're concerned about.

GWRRA has a competition called the top gun---it's like the police motorcycle rodeos, but for civilians, and all wings. The two maneuvers that sorta go along with what the video is showing would be the tight u-turn and the "box", which is a simple circle...for the tight u-turn, the novice width is 22ft, intermediate is 20ft, and expert is 18ft---I've just recently cracked the 18ft barrier myself...for the circle box, the circle diameters are 13ft, 11ft, and 9ft for each level...I don't think chester was in the 9ft level for very long.

You may be interested in the Ride Like a Pro dvd series---it has fundamental concepts that will help you make tighter turns.

Although the guy in the video seems very comfortable leaning the bike and scraping parts, I think you could find a better example of tight turns to work with.

Personally, I think this guy is better than the guy in the vid you posted:

ptynning
Motorcycle: GL 1800.2007

Postby ptynning » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks Gareval, I also have a Yamaha Royal Star, 1300 cc 800lb bike, I did take the ride like the pro course in Califronia by one of Jerry's instructors. At the end of the course I did have a gool feel for all of the turn manuvers with this the Yamaha.

My new 2007 Goldwing with its low center of gravity feels different when making tight turns, and I do need to practice more on my wing to get use to it.

Thanks for the info on the LBS system, I did not know when the front brake was activated when appling rear brake?
nor could I find that exact info in my shop manuel?

Pete

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 am

I didn't see the video you are talking about, but I assume it was about turning a 2-wheeler. I just got my first bike ( a 1986 GoldWing Aspencade (I LOVE it!!), but it is a trike and I am having trouble by killing the motor when I make a slow turn, like into a driveway, etc. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. (I know...practice...practice...practice!!!)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am

maestro319 wrote:I didn't see the video you are talking about, but I assume it was about turning a 2-wheeler. I just got my first bike ( a 1986 GoldWing Aspencade (I LOVE it!!), but it is a trike and I am having trouble by killing the motor when I make a slow turn, like into a driveway, etc. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. (I know...practice...practice...practice!!!)

Never ridden a trike, but as long as it doesn't have a limited slip differential (which would cause binding during slow turns), the only thing I can think that would help would be to feather/slip the clutch slightly, and let the engine rev a bit higher, to allow it to generate higher torque, and keep it from stalling out.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 pm

The guy riding the GL1800 in the first link of the first post is a member of the GWTA Northwest Wings Drill Team. I don't think he calls himself a trick rider. He just a very accomplished rider. The video was taken at the Renton Motorcycle Center (RMC) parking lot in Renton, Washington. The GWTA Drill Team practices there regularly
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:29 pm

maestro319 wrote:I didn't see the video you are talking about, but I assume it was about turning a 2-wheeler. I just got my first bike ( a 1986 GoldWing Aspencade (I LOVE it!!), but it is a trike and I am having trouble by killing the motor when I make a slow turn, like into a driveway, etc. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. (I know...practice...practice...practice!!!)

As stated before it could be the rear end but another place to check out on a beastie of that vintage would be in the steering head for a wire binding in the tight turns. I have the Voyager on mine & I just pull one grip into my hip & usually that means I have to let go of the trottle or clutch completely and I have never had a problem. :) :) :) :twisted: :twisted:

Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

Return to “Goldwing Chat”