Strobes or not?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dekare
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Strobes or not?

Postby dekare » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:03 pm

I came up with a revelation. We all like to be seen while riding, right? You've seen the construction vehicles with clear strobe lights interlinked with their vehicle lights, right? What's to keep a rider from either installing clear strobes much the same way, or installing, and/or using a portable clear strobe on the front of the bike? I can see where colors might get you stopped or a ticket, but unsure about clear. Of course this isn't something you want flashing come night. Am I on to something, anyone try such a set-up or is this old news?

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Strobes or not?

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Doesn't a headlight modulator do about the same thing?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

dekare

Postby dekare » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:29 pm

cbx4evr wrote:Doesn't a headlight modulator do about the same thing?

Just about the same thing. From what I've seen a headlight modulator kind of goes dim, bright, dim. A strobe is more of a on/off flash of light. Maybe a bit more attention getting.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:05 pm

dekare wrote:
cbx4evr wrote:Doesn't a headlight modulator do about the same thing?

Just about the same thing. From what I've seen a headlight modulator kind of goes dim, bright, dim. A strobe is more of a on/off flash of light. Maybe a bit more attention getting.

....and that is precisely what keeps a modulator legal.
Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 169.64, subdivisions 3 and 8:
"No, you can't have flashing lights or strobes." (I'm paraphrasing). :D

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MotorcycleManual.pdf
Page 8 mentions that headlight modulators are legal.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

dekare

Postby dekare » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:18 pm

....and that is precisely what keeps a modulator legal.

Page 8 mentions that headlight modulators are legal.[/quote]

Well that takes care of that. It would probably make too much sense for state gov't to approve of it. A truck going down the highway can have orange strobes and a MN School Bus can have a clear strobe (in inclement weather) but for a cycle...

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 am

dekare wrote:....and that is precisely what keeps a modulator legal.

Page 8 mentions that headlight modulators are legal.

Well that takes care of that. It would probably make too much sense for state gov't to approve of it. A truck going down the highway can have orange strobes and a MN School Bus can have a clear strobe (in inclement weather) but for a cycle...[/quote]

Right. Public vehicles, (moving slow, or full of kids) which are generally few and far between, and not using strobes all the time.
Imagine heavy traffic with every private vehicle flashing a strobe..... :shock:

Plus, state laws, I'd imagine, have to conform somehow to a national standard, or it would be madness.
"Why was I pulled over Officer, my state clearly permits flashing red lights on minivans for safety!"

Your state government, sensibly, approved headlight modulators, or maybe that's a Federal thing, I'm not sure.
If you feel your headlight modulator isn't enough, I'm not sure what else to tell you.
82 GL500 Silverwing

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:37 am

Federal DOT has regulations, but usually they are just pertaining to manufacture and basic standards for certain types of vehicles like ambulances . Lighting requirements for allowable lighting on vehicles are left to the states. No state that I'm aware of allows strobes on moving vehicles for anything but service and emergency vehicles, though if one dissected a particular state's vehicle code, it wouldn't exactly prohibit the use, just installation . Some may specify use. For example, here in Pa., white and amber are pretty much allowable for anything. You see construction, repair and road service vehicles with them all the time. Blue and red are reserved for authorized and emergency vehicles (authorized are like volunteer firefighters and EMTs). Driving down the road with a bike operating flashing white strobes likely won't get you a citation, but you may get some questions on why. You probably would even pass state inspection with them installed.

One big problem with using them would be that there are some people that don't differentiate color from action. To them, flashing lights mean police, period. They also aren't going to notice the difference between your GL or the local or state police's Harley FLHs even down to the color of the bike. Something you don't want is to be accused of impersonation. It's a stretch unless you acted like you were, but is it worth the potential hassles, which could be significant.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:11 am

wjnfirearms wrote: Driving down the road with a bike operating flashing white strobes likely won't get you a citation, but you may get some questions on why. You probably would even pass state inspection with them installed.

Prohibited equipment. 175.146(h).
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterH.pdf

Some interesting stuff on their website...
The Commonwealth has a critical need for bridge engineers! That can't be good.
82 GL500 Silverwing

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:06 pm

wjnfirearms wrote:Federal DOT has regulations, but usually they are just pertaining to manufacture and basic standards for certain types of vehicles like ambulances . Lighting requirements for allowable lighting on vehicles are left to the states.

True except in the case of headlight modulators, which are in fact regulated federally, specifically overriding any state or local ordinances.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”