Out to see a GL1500SE

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Out to see a GL1500SE

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:31 pm

While killing some time today, I happened across an eBay ad for what looked like a sweet deal on a white 1998 GL1500SE. High mileage (102,000) but it was sitting at $4,200 - where it had been for several days. What's more, it was only 30 miles from my house. I contacted the seller and asked if they would mind if I headed out and had a look at it. They were very friendly and said "come right over!" So I did.

What I found when I got there was a very tired, sad, poorly-maintained motorcycle that had been prettied and polished up nice for pictures. I checked it out, took it for a quick ride. Everything worked, but...the front steering bearings were so worn, I would consider it unsafe (the whole front end clunked and moved when you used the front brake). The front tire was badly worn and cupped, probably because of the worn bearings. The exhaust collector was rotted, and the right exhaust pipe was completely rusted and broken free of the collector, so the unmuffled engine was quite loud. The final drive sounded like it had marbles in it and made a disturbing knocking sound at speed. The rear wheel had a good inch and a half of free play in it when the engine was stopped and the bike was in gear. The owner bought it 6 years ago with 30,000 miles on it - it now had 102,000. I asked when he had last changed the final drive oil and lubricated the splines. He didn't know what I was talking about. I asked when the timing belts had last been changed. "Never."

I walked away. This bike was about to cost someone a lot of money in repairs, due to poor maintenance. What a shame.

The eBay auction finished tonight. Final price: $6595. Boy is the new owner of that bike in for an unpleasant surprise when he finds out what he just spent $6600 on.

I will never again think about buying a bike sight unseen on eBay!
White 1998 GL1500SE - looks nice in pictures!
White 1998 GL1500SE - looks nice in pictures!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”