Heat Stroke vs Lyme's disease

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Heat Stroke vs Lyme's disease

Postby yechave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:17 am

Going back to July 14th, temps in the mid 80's. We took a 2 hr ride in the morning mostly all interstate roads. Keeping up with traffic, 75+ was the norm. Wearing full safety gear, I had never had an issue in heat and did not expect this to be any different.

We got home before noon, took an unusual 3 hr nap and just felt odd. I noticed a fever coming on and started taking hourly temps.
All of a sudden, I was not able to stop shaking. I knew this was not good.

By 10pm, temp was about 105 and was considering going to the ER. Instead, I read the WebMD symptoms and treated for heat stroke.

The problems escalated for days, however the fever broke the next day and I figured I would just wait it out.

By the 24th, the pain was so severe I just could not stand it anymore and had someone drive me to the ER. This being my third visit this year already, I was none to happy about it but still seriously concerned over the last diagnosis of acute kidney failure, I felt better be safe than sorry. Released from the ER with no diagnosis or pain relief, I made an appointment for an MD visit the following day. He was able to obtain the preliminary results, which showed I had tested positive for Lyme's.

Two days later all the ELISA results came back positive.

I then recalled being bit on the finger while fishing the river at night by a mosquito. It was an unusual and quite nasty bit which blistered and burned for a few days. That was the culprit, not a doubt in my mind.

So, it had not been heat stroke.

The Lyme's is excruciatingly painful and just stops you dead I your tracks. Here is a link for anyone interested:
http://www.lyme-disease-research-database.com/

If not treated in the early stages, the prognosis is rather bleak.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Heat Stroke vs Lyme's disease

Postby bustedwing » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am

So many symptoms mimic different problems. Sometimes you don't know if you should just tough it out or call the rescue squad. I'm glad you came out ok, some people have been put down for a long time before even getting the right diagnosis. Then takes months to get back on your feet. Get well soon.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:12 pm

yechave wrote:Going back to July 14th, temps in the mid 80's. We took a 2 hr ride in the morning mostly all interstate roads. Keeping up with traffic, 75+ was the norm. Wearing full safety gear, I had never had an issue in heat and did not expect this to be any different.

We got home before noon, took an unusual 3 hr nap and just felt odd. I noticed a fever coming on and started taking hourly temps.
All of a sudden, I was not able to stop shaking. I knew this was not good.

By 10pm, temp was about 105 and was considering going to the ER. Instead, I read the WebMD symptoms and treated for heat stroke.

The problems escalated for days, however the fever broke the next day and I figured I would just wait it out.

By the 24th, the pain was so severe I just could not stand it anymore and had someone drive me to the ER. This being my third visit this year already, I was none to happy about it but still seriously concerned over the last diagnosis of acute kidney failure, I felt better be safe than sorry. Released from the ER with no diagnosis or pain relief, I made an appointment for an MD visit the following day. He was able to obtain the preliminary results, which showed I had tested positive for Lyme's.

Two days later all the ELISA results came back positive.

I then recalled being bit on the finger while fishing the river at night by a mosquito. It was an unusual and quite nasty bit which blistered and burned for a few days. That was the culprit, not a doubt in my mind.

So, it had not been heat stroke.

The Lyme's is excruciatingly painful and just stops you dead I your tracks. Here is a link for anyone interested:
http://www.lyme-disease-research-database.com/

If not treated in the early stages, the prognosis is rather bleak.

Lymes disease is pretty nasty,but I didn't think you got it from mosquitos.I thought it was from Tic,s.They bite you and bury their head under your skin.If you don't get all of the Tic out then you're in trouble.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

yechave

Postby yechave » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am

LDRD is a web site designed to help educate people about Lyme disease. NEW developments in the quest to understand and defeat Lyme are continually replacing old news and ATTITUDES.

Lyme disease symptoms mimic those of hundreds of other disorders, therefore Lyme is known in the medical profession as the Great Imitator. Lyme is a multi-system, multi-stage inflammatory disease caused by a spirochetal bacteria called the Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria. Lyme infections affect joints, the nervous system, the heart, and all the systems of the body, including the brain. The infection was once assumed to be spread by bacteria carried only by deer ticks, although some Lyme-literate experts maintain that it can be spread through other means, including mosquito bites and the exchange of body fluids.

Symptoms vary but may include:

Extreme fatigue
Skin rash
Palsy
Arthritis
Neuralgia
Vertigo
Light sensitivity
Nausea
Arrhythmia
Nervous system disorders
Headaches
Tinnitus
TMJ
Mood swings
Cognitive disorganization
Depression
Air hunger
Shortness of breath
SEVERE PAIN making any movement nearly impossible
Hallucinations
Hearing loss
Facial paralysis
Swelling of the legs and ankles
Dizziness

Although every case is different, if symptoms are left untreated, Lyme can be devastating.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:46 am

Yikes!! Pretty scary!!

yechave

Postby yechave » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 pm

This was a line from the last Falling Skies TV series last Sunday, which I never watch.

"The woods are full of mosquitos and ticks. Do you have any idea what Lyme's disease does to you?"

How exactly does that fit in an alien invasion movie?

A friend was watching and heard Lyme's mentioned.
I watched just that segment on a DVR'd version to see what was being said about it.
Then, I look up some video on You Tube, and some believe it is a man made disease.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”