Tailgaters

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

Tailgaters

Postby greganderson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Hello and happy Sunday to all of you

I wanted to ask your experiences with tailgaters, the cages that ride up behind us too closely, pushing our speeds against our will, and just plain being a$$es.

Throughout my years of riding, I have only had a limited amount of experience with the immature drivers of cars behind me, but I just had one last night while my wife was riding with me. Knowing that I handle a bike one way while I am riding solo compared to riding with my spouse, this was the first time it happened with a passenger. I reached 75 mph and at that point my usually level head was beginning to boil. Two cars where playing a game of chase with each other and I was in front of them both. Eventually they passed, I pulled off and let my wife take photos of the scenery and allow us both to regain our sense of peace.

My friends and I have all joked about how to back a car off, when we are hanging out in the garages, but it really becomes serious when it is happening. We have discussed the typical steel pinballs, get-back whips, ball-bearings onto the roadway, but I feel at 47 yrs old, there is a better way of handling the ignorant driver, short of following him and pulling him out of his car and beating his ass.

Anyone care to comment?

Greg Anderson

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Tailgaters

Postby golden highway » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:37 pm

I go at my own pace and don't look back. When I find a place to pull over safely I do and let them go. I knew a guy that would launch a steel pinball at their windshield. I always thought that was to dangerous.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:01 pm

greganderson wrote:SNIP... "at 47 yrs old, there is a better way of handling the ignorant driver..."

Yes, and you are correct. It's always in your best interest to pull over and let them go by. By doing this you are, 1. Being the more mature individual and, 2. defusing a potentially violent situation that could lead to (at best) legal issues. If you always take the high road, you'll always be the winner.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

markinmi
Motorcycle: 1976 goldwing

Postby markinmi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 pm

back in the day we had steel cleats on our bootheels. Touch these babies to the tarmac ay 60 or 70 plus and youll have a shower of spark and flame about 10 feet behind you, They'll back off quick.Use at your own risk :twisted:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:19 am

I used to be the guy that would launch a steel ball bearing, if the situation got overly bad, but never just for tailgating, although I have been knocked down from behind by a car in the past.

My present method is to slow down. I will give a couple of taps of brake lights and then slow down by about ten miles per hour. I will not speed up. If there is going to be a ticket issued, it will not be to me, and it will not be for speeding. Cops are not prone to listen to the excuse that I was trying to get away from a tailgater. When I have slowed down (not excessively - just to slightly below the speed limit) I watch their actions, and when they are about to pass, I pull to the right side of my lane and let them go. Result - they are gone, I am alive and I can speed back up to my normal speed.

I guess I have mellowed with age, but damn I got old quick....... :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:34 am

The days of messing with a tailgater are over. Also are the ones of speeding up to get away from him/her. On the one where you throw something at them, you put yourself in a position of jeopardy and it is not out of the question to get charged with endangering. The courts would look at it as you could have pulled over to safely end the problem and chose to escalate it. You'll likely end up paying for the jerk's windshield as well. Depending on the demeanor of the person tailgating you, it could easily end up in a road rage incident also. Tempting and deserved, but not worth it.

Speeding up just is plain dangerous and they could just speed up also. The courts won't look at it as an excuse, either.

Slowing down isn't something that I'd do these days. With people acting out nowadays, it might just get you more trouble than you bargained for. Definitely, spiking the brakes is something I'd not recommend. I did it in years past, but not any more. I don't want any more reasons to become someone's hood ornament than there are on a daily basis. Maybe it's a sign of old age, but I prefer to look at it as a sign of acquired wisdom.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 am

It is best to let them go by and you are also in a better position to keep an eye on the marginal citizens. Cell phone drivers and texters are now the biggest hazard on the road, they have mentally left the car.

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am

You guys are all much more patient than I am. I have zero tolerance for tailgaters and a short fuse to go with that. I had a tailgater a few years back that followed me through two turns and for about 5 miles. I got to a 4 way stop got off the bike with every intention of dragging the driver out of the car. I got to the window and saw the driver was no more than 16 years old. To top that off at first I couldn't tell if this was a boy or a girl. So I said "why are you following so close?" no response "if I had to slam on the brakes do you think you could stop?" kid cracks up laughing so I took two fingers and jabbed him in the cheek. I am by no means a weakling and this knocked laughing boy flat down on his side. I got back on my bike and our friend was driving a good half mile behind me. I do have road rage I admit it. I have other stories I'm not very proud of as well. Luckily I have yet to be arrested.

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:22 am

You are lucky, you could have been charged with assault, battery and child abuse.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 am

sfruechte wrote:You are lucky, you could have been charged with assault, battery and child abuse.

Or gotten shot...

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:34 pm

There are certain things I won't put up with. One of them is having my life threatened. I have no regrets about being the person who taught that kid not to tailgate bikes. He deserved worse than what he got IMO.

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:56 pm

This is Chicago! Around that same time I was riding down the Interstate with a group of guys. Some guy threw a plastic pop bottle out of his car window and it hit one of my friends in the mouth. He chased the guy onto the off ramp and fisticuffs ensued. The bottle tosser didn't fare so well. A simple apology may have been wise. Police came my friend arrested, bike impounded, in court he refused to pay the fines so he got 30 days in Cook county slammer. Served only 10 due to overcrowding. Like I said this is Chicago. Different culture I guess. I agree there is always someone who might shoot you but if nobody ever does anything then bikes just get run over. 9.8 million people live in the Metro area. That is a rough estimate. Because of illegals from Eastern Europe and south of the border they say 12 million is probably more accurate. There is nobody to stick up for cyclists but ourselves!

Rumbo
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Rumbo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm

I agree the best thing to do is just pull over and let them go. But, in the past I have used a small spray can of WD-40. Spray a little behind you and it will find the windshield of the cager, naturally they cut on the wipers and it gets real messy.

mwest479
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby mwest479 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 am

Interesting , I would prefer the beating but @ 65yrs old I most likely to get the worst of it. Don't want to throw things at them . Best course of action is to let them go. Remember they are in a cage ( wrapped in metal ). I realize on many 2 lane roads it is not easy to pull off, then if your skill level is up to the task -- out run them. And saying that be prepared to be the 1 to get a ticket!!!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 pm

My advice is to try and take the high road. Its too easy to get road rage and things can escalate. Sounds like you did the right thing. Let them by as soon as you could and get away from the idiots. Pulling over to cool off was a great idea. The big picture is to enjoy the ride. And after awhile you've self trained yourself to not let the little things spoil the day. But I think the best strategy is to get away from those bad road situations as soon as you possibly can.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 pm

I agree the smart thing to do is pull over, if you have the time, in the right area, conditions are good, etc.TThere's a million reasons not to pull over. It's a lot easier to vent and make your displeasure known to the tailgator. I've done it myself. It's too bad that it's a common occurance and we have to deal with this quite often.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Maybe I'm just overly laid back, but I have better things in my life to worry myself about than some idiot driver (and there are way too many of them). I just let them go on their way, keep out of their way, and get on with my ride.

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:46 am

WingAdmin wrote:Maybe I'm just overly laid back, but I have better things in my life to worry myself about than some idiot driver (and there are way too many of them). I just let them go on their way, keep out of their way, and get on with my ride.

Me to! But sometimes it's the wife pounding on the back of my helmet that keeps me from reacting.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:04 am

I just get out of the way ASAP. I could care less if they want to speed. I am in charge of my steel horse and I'll be damned if I let somebody piss me off when I'm having so much fun riding my 2 wheeled Land yacht!

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:23 am

I normally can find a place to pull over but last year I had a kid with a new Mustang ride so close I could not see his headlights. Luckily I was only 1/2 mile from my house. I needed to go to the High School to pick up my daughter. I went home, put the MC away and got my truck to go get my daughter. When I got to the HS, who was sitting in the pick up line? Yep, the same little ass who had been behind me. I parked my truck, walked over to him and this is kind of how the conversation went...

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't ride so close to my motorcycle."
Oh, was that you?
"Yes it was."
My speedometer said I was running the speed limit.
"We were 5 MPH over the speed limit but that doesn't matter. If something should happen in front of me, I won't have a chance. You will never get stopped in time to keep from hitting me."
Oh I'll get stopped. I just had NASCAR brakes put on my car.
" I don't give a sh## about your brakes. You get that close to me again and you and I are gonna have a problem."

When I told my wife about it, she is the Principal at that school, she said 'I know who he is, do you want to call his his parents?' I said 'No, I took care of it.'

The next day she saw the kid at school and said 'I understand you met my husband yesterday, the guy on the MC. You got off lucky.'
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:53 am

Unfortunately, this happens all too frequently. Most people are not doing this on purpose, just not paying attention. Another good reason for brake light modulators, to help "wake up" these folks. This is the brake light I added a while ago and it has been very effective: http://www.soundoffsignal.com/product/ghost-rock-light

Those that are doing it intentionally however, may get more agitated by flashing the brakes. You need to read the situation. I would never go over the speed limit or start throwing things as much as I might want to. I sometimes will give a brief chase with hi beams on after they pass me, hoping they'll take off. Then I'll slow back down and enjoy my day.
DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 am

Tailgaters are the worst...That's all there is on I-35 from San Antonio to Dallas...I call it the Highway to Hell...You have to forget about a ticket and ride aggressively just to stay alive.. In other words Haul ass man..It kinda makes it hard for them to tailgate you then :lol: ...

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 am

For the riders in the Kansas City area, watch out now....read this... http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/mo ... olute=true This guy got off lucky with his hand being shot, I bet that fool wasn't aiming for his hand... :shock:

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 am

littlebeaver wrote:For the riders in the Kansas City area, watch out now....read this... http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/mo ... olute=true This guy got off lucky with his hand being shot, I bet that fool wasn't aiming for his hand... :shock:

Don't know the facts but I hope that was a wake up call for the biker. Driving under the influence. Not smart! Stupid!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

gompa
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby gompa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:33 pm

I just ride my own ride, if they want to get on my ---- there nothing I can do but maybe move over to the right and give them more room to pass. many years ago I did the steel ball bearing. but after one time it almost cause a bad accident. was it worth it I ask my seft. and the answer was no

gompa

Return to “Goldwing Chat”