Bank Angle Sensor test yesterday

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Bank Angle Sensor test yesterday

Postby bjatwood » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 am

Well boys and girls, told the Mrs I was gonna fill up the Wing for our ride on Sunday (145 miles round trip) for a A&W road trip. We live on a hill and my drive way slopes downward, I see her standing in the garage waiting for me. I turn in to my right, thought I was in 1st gear but was in ....2nd gear bike chugs, gravity pulled the bike over and I jumped and rolled....1st time this season. But...the Bank Angle Sensor workd like a charm, shut it right down :D She looks at me and says "I hope the trip goes better than this"..what a keeper. Not one problem on the road trip. All is well except for my "pride"....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bank Angle Sensor test yesterday

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Glad to hear that your Bank Angle Sensor test was successful. :)

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks, you just never know when the test will happen... :oops:

T=Trouble
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Postby T=Trouble » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah - I tested my angle sensor today as well and happy to report that it worked great. There must be something about filling up though. I was riding and had went thru one town and stopped at two gas stations. One was out of gas and the other did not have premium (use 91 octane) so went on down the road to the next town. At that town there was a gas station with a line for the pump even and a definite enter and exit to make the flow of traffic work. I waited in line figuring that it had to be the only gas station in town to have them lined up. Got the gas and when I went to leave, there was a big tractor pulling a frame implement that had parked on the shoulder right in front of the gas station making it extremely hard to see around without getting out in the lane. To make matters worse, it was gravel and so I was inching my way up with my feet down to see around the tractor when I hit a low spot. The low spot itself made the bike lean far enough that it was hard for me to hold her, but then my boot slipped on the gravel and there was no holding her up. Bike shut off, like it suppose to, the woman in the car behind me hopped out to see if I was okay. I told her that I was, but now I had to get the bike back up. I tried to do "the lift" and I know that they say even a scrawny female can lift a big Goldwing that way. I am a female, but not scrawny, and it was NOT budging. The woman hollered for a guy to come help and he graciously helped me get her righted. Loosened the left highway peg, but other than that, and like you - my pride - all was well and I was back on the road.
Trouble

When God made the first biker he mixed the following ingredients:
Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:27 am

The great thing about pride is no matter how hard it gets hurt, it never fails you..... :lol: It will also be there for you to hurt again tomorrow..... :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Mariner
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 (current),
1983 GL1100 Interstate (last), Z1000, CB750F, CB750K, CB550, 450 scrambler, 90 Scrambler, and a few I've forgotten

Postby Mariner » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:50 pm

The owner's manual that came with my '03 GL1800 says it has a bank angle sensor. I have only had the bike less than a month so I haven't tested it... yet. I plan on putting it off as long as possible.

On a ride three days ago I almost did test it. The Wing is a heavy bike and a little loose gravel plays hob with one's ability too keep it stable when stopped or even trying to back up with foot power on a flat parking lot.

Anyway, I tried to stop on the shoulder of a nice clean, freshly paved, super smooth, pleasantly winding, blacktop country road to clean my visor. The shoulder was about 5' wide and traffic was light; the next guy behind me was waaaay back.

I did notice the shoulder was slanted down and away from the roadbed ever so slightly and that it looked like the kind of rough black gravel you see asphalted in place where the gravel is sort of glued together as it were.

Turned out, it was loose gravel with oil on it. Nothing glued to anything. As soon as I stopped and put my right foot down, I started slipping and durn near lost it. As it was it was right at the point of no return for the muscle and traction I had - one or two more degrees and well... If my foot hadn't hit a little depression which gave me a much needed foothold I probably would have taken a tumble right into a drainage ditch. Just deep enough I could easily have ended up upside down and under the bike. Very dangerous. I thought I knew most ways of the ways to hurt myself but turns out there's always another one.

The wife was bugging me to take her riding but I never ride a passenger on a new bike. I want at least a couple of thousand miles on a new bike first. If I had had the extra weight and instability of a passenger things would likely have ended badly.

I love everything about it but I have to admit the Wing is the easiest to "lose it while standing still or going really really slow" bike that I've ever had and calls for great caution on my part.

From here on in, I'll soil my pants before I pull off on any shoulder that isn't flat.

Signed,
Firm believer in waiting for a proper paved turn out or rest area (AKA Ron)
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1755

eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 am

I tested my sensors a few months ago. and periodically. I have an 85 GL 1200 Limited! Perhaps because it is a Limited it has them I am not sure, but they are there and have been tested many times and have passed every single time.

eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 am

This is in response to Mariner's post........... The factory repair manual for my 85 Limited has a test for these sensors with them removed from the bike. I do not know if your 03 has this off the bike test or not. If it does it is a whole easier than intentially laying your bike on its side and then having to pick it back up. My sensors have been tested on and off of the bike multiple times by myself and a local Goldwing "expert" that now owns his own independent bike repair shop. This expert cut the wires 3 inches from the plug to unplug them because he was to lazy to unplug them. Needless to say this "expert" will NEVER EVER touch my bike again.

jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Postby jdavidsmit » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 am

I have also tested the sensor on my 1990 1500 GL. Last month i retired and we were in the process of moving from Florida to Tennessee, as i was loading the bike on the trailer i lost my footing and over we went, the switch worked just like designed. lucky like most everyone else the only thing hurt was my pride and a bit of plastic. But the most embarrassing part was the why, during the process of hooking the trailer to the truck I as normal was in a hurry and forgot to lock the lever down that holds the hitch to the ball. The weight of me and the biked lifted the front of the trailer off the trucks hitch, the safety chain was all that kept it from being worst. My neighbor saw it happen and rushed over to make sure i was OK and helped me get the bike upright.
:? The trip up was uneventful after the rough start, except i tighten down the front of the bike too much and now i have a leaking front shock, thank goodness for the how to's.
David

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 pm

You got kicked out of the "Retirement State" of Florida, and going to the land of banjo playing, and sister.... That would make me more concerned than slipping on the trailer ramp. This reinforces the concept of checking everything, before loading, and after loading, and frequently, while trailering. I hope you have your banjo tuned!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:57 pm

I didn't know about this safety feature on my GL1800 but it's typical Honda quality engineering and nice to now know that it is there, should the worst happen.

I do want to point out something to GL riders...and especially for those who tip their rigs to change the rear tire (1800's). I found out from a very reputable dealer that a tip over that lasts for more than 5 minutes is detrimental to the engine IF you should start it up upon righting the bike! Reason is that oil will migrate out of the vital areas down deep and starting the engine right after righting it upright can cause serious damage. This is from a Honda factory trained technician. He said you're best to let it stand upright for 10-15 minutes to allow the oil to properly drain down and level itself out.

Makes sense to me, if you can do that in a safe place, if you get tipped over.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “Goldwing Chat”