Loving this 1100a more and more.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
jerigillam
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1971 CB100.

Loving this 1100a more and more.

Postby jerigillam » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I rode 280 miles today, kind of a round about route through Ohio and down into Kentucky (Maysville/Old Washington), then back into Ohio, across 52 to Portsmouth, and up 23 to Columbus and home. I'm really excited about the possibilities this bike presents to me, I envision a ride to the west coast just to step bare footed into the Pacific Ocean, or to Florida to feel the gulf coast waters splashing around my ankles. Whatever the trip though, it's the bike itself that will make it not only possible for me, but almost too much fun for one person to legally have. I started riding on a 71 CB100, my first bike which I still have and ride. I rode that to Kentucky as well, two years ago this October, all packed up with camping gear and spent one night at Greenbo State Park. It was cold and wet and windy and a miserable ride, stopping at gas stations every 40 minutes or so hoping that they had hot air hand driers so I could warm my gloves. None of that mattered though, it was the ride that mattered. Oh, I was told by so many people, 'don't do it Jeri, don't go off like this on your own". Pffft. That trip had to be done, it was right after a full restoration of the CB100 and she was looking gorgeous. I had a free breakfast at the lodge the morning I was going home and after donning my rainsuit, came out to find an adult and 5 teenage boys standing around my bike, with a full size van sitting there, doors open. I thought they were going to steal my bike!! I had my helmet in hand and walked towards them wondering who would be the first to feel it smack into their head, the adult I figured would be the one. So.. As I'm walking quickly toward them, one of the teenagers looked up and says "Sorry we're creeping your bike ma'am, we're just trying to figure out what year it is." :) Anyway, that trip wasn't necessarily a fun ride because it really was pretty miserable, but it was a successful one. This Aspencade is a special animal, and has taken me a fair amount of time to figure out, mostly the weight issue for me. I can get flat footed on it, but I'm not strong and I don't weigh much, so I've struggled some with it. Getting it upright off the side stand was really hard for me until I let the air out of the forks. When I did, the front end dropped at least an inch which decreased the lean angle by a good amount. One problem solved. My other thing was leaning this beast into a turn. I found myself slowing down to embarrassingly low speeds to go around a fairly simple curve that was marked with a 'suggested safe speed" of 45. On my 100, I could take those at 55 or 60 with no problem. The Aspencade scared me, it was that simple. Today though, it was different. Route 62 West through the southern part of Ohio isn't the best road to go carving on, but it's got some good turns. I'd had enough of slowing way down, because logic dictates that the bike is capable of it at the suggested safe speed, if not the rider. So I told myself (out loud) "Lean the bike, it's ok, you know how to countersteer, just DO IT!" :) And hey, it worked! :) It was a perfect weather day, light traffic, the bike was running well, and I was smiling the whole time. To me, that's exactly what riding is about. Finding that smile. And cleaning bugs off the windscreen, of course. ;) Stay safe, ya'll..

Real defensive riding: "I have tone.. I have lock.. one away.. One comatose cager down, please confirm."

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Loving this 1100a more and more.

Postby redial » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 am

Finding that smile. And cleaning bugs off the windscreen, of course. ;) Stay safe, ya'll..

That cannot be right! If you have a big smile, then you should be cleaning the bugs off your teeth, as well.

It is good to see another one enjoying their GW. I have been lucky enough to have dabbled in the North Atlantic, both sides; the Pacific, both sides; the Indian Ocean, east side; and the Southern Ocean, north side. I have a few more to go, but half the fun is going there. You enjoy your happy GW, and keep us posted on your travels.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Yep, I remember that - thinking, "this GL1100 is so heavy, no way I'm leaning it over that far!" Slow and upright was my standard turning technique. However, as you get used to it, that starts to fade. Once I got to the point where I was wearing the bike instead of riding it, my biggest problem was continually dragging parts on the ground in turns. :) Once it gets moving, it's an extremely maneuverable and "flickable" bike.

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby oldmopars » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

I am in the same boat as you. I got my 82 GL1100I a few months ago. I was a little scared of the bike at first, but I have been riding it every day and it just keeps getting better. I rode almost 800 miles solo around Eastern Washington a few weeks back and a 450 mile trip 2 weeks before. The long trip I packed a tent and bag and just rode till I was tired and found a spot to pitch the tent, no camp grounds.
While I am sure I am larger than you (6' and 185#) at first this bike seemed real heavy and I did the same upright corners. Now I love it and lean in to them. I love the GL1000's they are loaded with usable stuff and yet still have a very classic old school look and feel. We ride a classic that can still do 200K miles. Only one complaint, my bike is so comfortable that I run out of fuel before I am ready to stop, needs a bigger tank.
Well keep riding that 1100a and if you get out west, give a shout. I am always up for a ride.
BTW, smile when you pass those high dollar bikes and remember you are having just as much fun and going the same place for a fraction of the money in as much comfort or more as they are. :lol: :lol:

jerigillam

Postby jerigillam » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Upright corners, yes, trying to steer it like you might steer oh, a bus! It was a good feeling forcing myself into leaning her into the curves and realizing that something that feels so ungainly (to me) at a standstill is actually pretty damned graceful at speed. My next post will be about tires, once I find the appropriate forum. ;) I like the "flickable" comment too, I'm a far cry from flicking this bike, but I know the term from my CB100. She's not the fastest thing around (probably one of the slowest) but she is maneuverable... :)

Behind the flood wall in Portsmouth, Ohio, looking towards the bridge into Kentucky.
Behind the flood wall in Portsmouth, Ohio, looking towards the bridge into Kentucky.
Real defensive riding: "I have tone.. I have lock.. one away.. One comatose cager down, please confirm."

Dave N
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Goldwing
1977 Suzuki GS550

Postby Dave N » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:34 pm

I can relate to you two also I got my 1980 GL1100 a couple of months ago also. It rides so much better then my GS550. I only have put on a little over 1000 miles so far, but we still have time to ride before the white stuff comes.

jerigillam

Postby jerigillam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Dave N wrote:I can relate to you two also I got my 1980 GL1100 a couple of months ago also. It rides so much better then my GS550. I only have put on a little over 1000 miles so far, but we still have time to ride before the white stuff comes.

So many Buckeyes here! :) I rode my CB100 to the gas station the other day, just a beer run, it felt like a bicycle! Still fun though, and looks so nice. :)

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 am

after getting progressives for the front and rear I can really lean the bike now much farther than before,,These shocks raised the bike some, I got the 412's for the rear.. I got tired of the air one's leaking air and I was too lazy to fix them..

Return to “Goldwing Chat”