G'day from a newbie in Australia.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1999 50th Anniversary GL1500SEX

G'day from a newbie in Australia.

Postby Ockerstrom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 am

Hello all,

New to owning a Wing..... but not new to bikes [started 40 odd years ago and was told I had just become a "Temporary Australian".... but I'm still around :twisted: ], the bike is number 19 in a variety of brands and styles.

I bought a '99 GL1500SEX Honda 50th Anniversary model with only 40,000 km's on the clock, in above average condition four weeks ago. :mrgreen:

Then, thanks to a young female driver texting while driving, I crashed the Wing two weeks ago. :oops:

I'm in the process of fixing it, some of you will have seen my first post here- a WTB advert. :roll:

I also currently own a '94 Kawasaki KLE500 and an '09 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A [fantastic bike, better than my previous BMW R1150GS that was a money pit :evil: ]

This is my "new" Wing [with my V-Strom in the background] on the day I test rode and bought it.

I was looking at adding a cruiser to the "fleet" and stumbled on to the idea of a Wing when I was comparing the ease of getting a Valkyrie off the side stand compared to other bikes, the dealer had a Wing sitting in the showroom so I threw a leg over it... after that the search was on for a good one at a price I could afford.

I have fallen in love with this bike, I referred to it as "sex on wheels" on another bike forum I'm on, one of the members there said he didn't think any bike could be referred to in that manner. :)

Then I found out my bike is designated as a GL1500 SEX...... needless to say I posted a reply to him pointing out my bike was truly "SEX" on wheels, and even officially acknowledged as such by Honda themselves. :!:

He had no response to that. :lol:

So far the only things I have done to the bike [apart from crashing it]- is to have removed the rider floor boards and re-installed the standard footpegs and levers, as well as cutting down the tall after market tinted screen.

Ock. in Oz.
Windsor [near enough]

Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: G'day from a newbie in Australia.

Postby Mag » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 am

Saw you on the other post, welcome to "The Boards". Sorry about the crash, always a bummer. Keep posting, we do like the activity, and pictures. I guess I can say keep posting pics about SEX and now not get in trouble with my wife :D

Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:00 pm

welcome to this great site from the other side of the world.

Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Well any crash sucks but it looks like it'll be alright. Texting huh? Figgers!
Man welcome to the fold! The Goldwing is as reliable, comfortable, ridable........ as they get and you should enjoy yours for years! Yes, the texting problem is worldwide! Tom

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Sorry about the crash, ockerstrom. But anybody with Bill the Cat as an avatar will survive. One of my all time favorite comic strip characters. Ride Safe!

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi there, Ockerstrom, bad luck about the texter having to find you GW to run into. Hope the insurance works out well for you, and that you follow up making the GW back to its former glory.

Welcome. This forum loves photos, so before you start anything, make sure the digital camera is working.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Welcome to this great forum from Northern California. Sorry about the accident, but glad you are OK. Bikes can be rebuilt, people can't.

Motorcycle: 1999 50th Anniversary GL1500SEX

Postby Ockerstrom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:01 am

Thanks for the welcomes people,

Not my first time coming off a bike..... so I'm not overly stressed about it, twice before I've been hit by cars- this time the texter only partially caused my crash.

I was trying to give her room to merge in to my lane but when I realised what she was doing I decided to go ahead of her, then someone about six cars further ahead in my lane did a sudden stop to let a car in to the main flow of traffic from a side street.

Everyone in front of me did the old "emergency stop" routine, so did I- but locked the front wheel and went down.

The bike slid in to the car ahead of me and I did "Mr. Tumbleweed" between the vehicles in my lane and the tipper truck and trailer coming towards me in the oncoming lane.

Anyway, all is good.
The bruising has healed already, the neck is still a little stiff and painful, the riding gear only has a bit of road rash and the bike is easily repairable [by me now].

The insurance company has been great, but the dealer/repairer was looking at doing a big dollar quote for the insurance claim- I feared this would result in the insurance company declaring the bike a "write off", whereupon the bike would have to be broken up as our local registration rules in NSW don't allow a declared write off to be repaired and put back on the road.

For the sake of a few hundred dollars of parts and about three to four hours actual labour there is no way I'm letting this bike be "written off" because a repairer wants to gouge as much money out of an insurance company as he can get.

Another pic, just to keep people interested [or because someone here said I should, aye Mag?]

A well lit rear end.

And here is another rear end that is worth looking at too. [and though one of my other bikes is a V-Strom similar to the one in the photo, sadly this one isn't mine :lol: ]

Ock. in Oz.
Windsor [near enough]

Return to “Goldwing Chat”