Mosquito's and LYME'S disease

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Mosquito's and LYME'S disease

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 am

Thought I would put a quick mention here about Lyme's.

I thought I had heat stroke after taking the Wing out on July 14th. I was SO sick, and thought I would tough it out. About July 24th, I had someone run me to the ER. I did not know at the time they tested for Lymes. I was sent home with pretty much nothing done and in severe pain, barely able to move.

I went to an MD office the next day for severe pain, they wanted to run heart tests, did nothing for pain, but did follow up on the ER tests and the preliminary results were positive. They wrote a script for 21 days of antibiotics. Turns out, the secondary tests were positive and after 21 days, I had improved about 50%. That left me unable to do just about anything whatsoever.

Here are a list of symptoms to look for. I was bitten by a mosquito on July 5th, which was a most unusual bite which blistered and burned for days. Fever of 105 on the 14th. Treatment started the 24th.

IF caught within 2-3 weeks, treatment is promising. If not, like can be extremely difficult. Check the Lyme's videos on You Tube. Symptoms vary but may include and in no particular order:

Extreme fatigue Hair loss Tingling Stiffer painful neck creaks and cracks in joints
Skin rash Jaw pain stiffness Sore Throat Increased floaters in eyes Flashing lights in eyes
Palsy constipation joint pain muscle pain cramps shortness of breath
Arthritis chest pain rib soreness night sweats chills tremors unexplained shaking
Neuralgia Weakness Poor balance mood swings difficulty thinking & concentrating
Vertigo Fatigue Loss of sex drive and function fevers infections symptoms changing
Light sensitivity Pain migrates to different parts of the body
Nausea Arrhythmia Nervous system disorders Headaches Tinnitus TMJ Mood swings
Cognitive disorganization Depression Air hunger Shortness of breath
SEVERE PAIN making any movement nearly impossible Hallucinations Hearing loss
Facial paralysis Swelling of the legs and ankles Dizziness

Visit the LDRD web site dedicated to helping educate people about Lyme disease.

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Mosquito's and LYME'S disease

Postby themainviking » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 am

Gotta look this up, because I thought Lymes could only be transmitted from a deer tick. Wow, who woulda thunk it.

Further to: According to the Center for Disease Control, only from the Blacklegged deer tick. I think you got a tick bite that you did not know about.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 am

I run into the same problem with MD's and they really don't listen. If they did, I would have been prescribed the meds while in the ER. They are not up to speed on the mosquito, biting flies or fleas as carriers. I posted it as the mosquito, since that was how I ended up with the problem.

I happened to know for a fact it was a mosquito, and the bite was most unusual. It blistered within minutes and burned for days, even soaking the finger in peroxide for hours. I never really gave it much thought after that.

There is a lot to know about Lyme's. Only reason I posted is for anyone that might get infected. If so, and you do not heed the warnings in time, your life as you know it is over. If you have the symptoms, DO NOT wait and go for help immediately. I waited a tad too long, in part due to the fact I had already been to the ER three times this year and was admitted twice.

My life stopped on July 14th. It took about a month just to be able to leave the house. The pain was excruciating! Still trying to get my life back.

As of yesterday, we were told by a vet the manufacturers of the meds used for this disease, were bullied out of the US by the FDA. Costs for the drug have sky-rocketed and supplies are being depleted and prescribed in limited quantities. I can not confirm that report, but it would make sense based on the many hours of research I have done on the subject.

Postby yechave » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:41 am

Lyme Disease Isn't Just a Tick-Borne Illness

Prevalence of Lyme Disease in the US Is 10-Times Higher Than Previously Reported ... 20130904Z1

Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:34 am

Thanks for the post. Hope everything is well with you now. I, like many other people thought Lyme's was only transmitted by ticks. :o :o I was in the tree business for many years, and never had any exposure other than from ticks. However living where I do with an abundance of mosquitos it is a little concerning.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Postby yechave » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:32 am

Apparently, they did not catch mine in time for the 21 day fix.

My doc says it is like being shot. The damage is already done after the impact, just have to figure how to live with what's left. Hope that is not the case. Going on two months, every breath is painful, difficult to move or even lay in bed. The only thing I have done since July 14th has been a couple of short rides on the GW this past week. As long as I don't get on and off, I can sit there and let the bike do the work.

I live in the woods and have seen as many as 60+ ticks in a day after a walk, and that was just the ones around the dog's eyes. We considered the possibility we had lyme's just on the odds of the hundreds of ticks over the years we each removed. I know this was caused by a mosquito, you just can't prevent being bitten by everything out there. Either way, I had no idea how terrible this was. Much worse than some achy joint and muscles and not feeling well. I was stopped dead in my tracks from the onset of the fever. I would say I had a 50% improvement with the Doxycycline after a month, but have a long way to go to get to where I was.

Hope no one needs to know this, but if you do and it saves someone from chronic Lyme's suffering, it is worth the time to have posted.

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I lived in the tropics in Australia for a couple of years, and would de-tick the dogs morning and night. I usually picked up around 30 to 40 off the dogs, each session. We put some Methylated Spirits (aka rubbing alcohol, or similar) into a 50 cm (about 2 inch jar), and dropped the ticks into there, where they peacefully passed away. If you squeeze them, they will express their (tiny) eggs and set you up for another invasion. The same for fleas. When the jar was full, empty the lot, and start again.

For mosquitoes, keep your dogs on Heartworm prevention, and I use SureDuz candles that can last up to 60 hours for the one candle to cover 5 metres x 5 metres (about 16 feet by 16 feet). Here is their blurb - I am in no way connected with this organisation, just a happy customer.

Not only does the SureDuz Mosquito Candle protect you from mosquitoes but also from sand flies and midges. Once the plume is in place, if a mosquito or sand-fly or midgee enters this zone it will instantly try to escape, if they cannot escape they will be rendered unconscious and fall to the ground for up to 18 hours. If you need to protect a larger area, just light the sufficient number of candles to cover the required area.

In documented field studies SureDuz has been proven to out perform all other mosquito repellents in its class. After rigorous testing by the Australian Governments testing authority the APVMA, the SureDuz Mosquito Candle has been declared safe and effective and approved for sale in Australia. SureDuz has also recently been approved for sale in New Zealand after efficacy and safety testing by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA formerly ERMA) presented in a recycled glass container and packaged using eco friendly recycled cardboard. SureDuz is not only effective but creates a lovely candle lit atmosphere.

For further information please email us at
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:08 am

One can not "know" the vector was a mosquito unless the organism or DNA is extracted.

If you live in a known vector (tick) rich area you might submit them for similar testing to determine if immediate treatment is appropriate when bit. (see article below for details on risk estimates)

The recommended treatments are available. The obstacle is initial diagnostic delay leading to treatment. See above.

CID 2006:43(1November)•Wormser et al

Return to “Goldwing Chat”