High Beam Modulator on 1500 S

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
racoon5266
Motorcycle: 1993 1500 se gold wing

High Beam Modulator on 1500 S

Postby racoon5266 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 am

I've installed the modulator on my 93 1500 SE Goldwing, and I love the way it works. The other day a person was flagging me to stop and told me my lights were flickering, I told him that I just installed a high beam modulator and that it was for the idiots that can't see me.. well I think he was an off duty cop as he said Well I don't think that's legal, I mentioned to him that I had a paper that says it is... He frowned and just took off.. yes I did print out the legal part that says it's legal in Canada..
I am a little scared at times as when a car wants to turn and he sees my lights flashing well i'm always afraid he thinks i'm trying to let him know to turn.. or if a car is waiting to pull out of a side street and sees my flashing lights.. The car drivers don't really know about this modulator installed.. they go by the old way.. flick your lights and they think it's ok to go..
but my lights are always flashing so hopefully they will know better and think that my lights are simply going crazy... and at least they do see me...

my two cents..

Dan from Navan, Ontario

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: High Beam Modulator on 1500 S

Postby Happytrails » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Im gonna install same thing. Its more of a strobe than a flicker isnt it?
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

racoon5266
Motorcycle: 1993 1500 se gold wing

Postby racoon5266 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm

yes strobe.. works great

Mariner
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 (current),
1983 GL1100 Interstate (last), Z1000, CB750F, CB750K, CB550, 450 scrambler, 90 Scrambler, and a few I've forgotten

Postby Mariner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Not sure about the flashing headlight thing. Same thing about having the other motorist think I'm signalling for him to turn crossed my mind. The 4 headlights (I ride with my hi beams on during day light) and the 2 low beams at night make me very visible - especially since I can adjust them to just where they are still low enough to be legal.

Last weekend I was riding with a friend and he had a strobing brake light that really catches the eye. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Anyone have any negative thoughts about a flashing light from the other end?

My biggest concern at the moment is my side visibility at night. My 2003 isn't as lit up on a side view as I would like; seems the factory really trusts two little reflectors. Personally, I prefer some sort of light so the dummy driving with just his parking lights can still see me.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:28 am

Anyone that says they mistook a headlight modulator for an OK is a liar. When you meet a bike with a HM you know for certain that it can not be done manually nor is it an emergency vehicle. It draws attention exactly as intended. IMHO more bikes should have them and the only reason I don't is I have HID bulbs on my 1500. If I get a 1800, HIDs on low beam and modulator with Silverstar Ultras on hi beam would be the first change. Also, add low mounted running lights. A DOT study shows that the triangle arrangement is best for accident avoidance; presumably it's easier to judge distance and relative speed.

Brake light modulators are more common but still not wide spread enough IMHO. There are a number to choose from and I would also suggest adding the spoiler with a brake light as part of the package. Personally, I replaced my bottom center reflector with the Showchrome brake/taillight and added a standalone flashing brake light at the top of the passenger backrest to maintain the triangle effect (Sound Off Signal Ghost Light).

As far as side visibility, there are dozens of additions and changes available for your 1800 or 1500 for that matter. Check the catalogs from the big guns (Kuryaken, Show Chrome, Add-On) to start. I usually use Cyclemax as a supplier but since you're in San Diego, suggest a ride up to Wingstuff: http://wingstuff.com/ and do a hands on thing. The amount of side lighting available is limited only to your budget.
DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Mariner
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 (current),
1983 GL1100 Interstate (last), Z1000, CB750F, CB750K, CB550, 450 scrambler, 90 Scrambler, and a few I've forgotten

Postby Mariner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks Andy - I'll check it out at my first opportunity. I'll see if they have a headlight modulator operational and see it instead of just hearing about it.
Ron
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1755

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I have a modulater installed on my ride and yes, it does make you way more visible. Its flash rate is not like an emergency vehicle and I believe that it is legal in Canada. Don't stress out about what others are thinking. They will only flag you down because they see you... point achieved! I have started using mine in select areas though, simply to not be so annoying. I had a guy flip the dealy on his rear view mirror in broad daylight because my high beams are so bright. I only use them when I am on rural roads and not on the freeway because there is little chance of someone cutting me off from a side street which is the place I would be most prone to get clobbered. I also have a modulated tail light bar on the rear and a seperate modulator unit for the stop tail lights. They flash like hell but if it keeps some cager from driving up my butt, I could care less about how they feel about it.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:04 pm

waituntilthebeep wrote:I only use them when I am on rural roads and not on the freeway because there is little chance of someone cutting me off from a side street

You never know. I has some jerk in a panel van cut across two lanes of traffic into my lane today, in town, in a 25mph zone, between red lights. Based on his reaction to my air horn, I'm pretty sure he never saw me. I knew he was coming so I was ready. The horn was just a training tool for next time.
DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:09 pm

I installed both a headlight modulator and a brake light modulator back in the springtime. While I do get a few people pointing out to me that my headlight is"flashing" not a single car or truck has turned in front of me this year, in fact I see more people stepping on the brakes and coming to a full stop when they see me now instead of just a rolling stop like usual.
The brake light modulator seems to make people stop farther back than before when at traffic lights. People are less prone to tailgate me when I use the brake lights to remind them they are a little too close to me for my comfort.
I do have dual twin airhorns for those rare occasions that someone needs an audible wake up.yes they are very loud and very satisfying to me 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

skypilot52
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby skypilot52 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 am

I too have read that the modulator is legal in Canada. However, I was also told that the Provinces have the ability to enact laws that are more restrictive than the Federal Government laws. I was riding in Ontario and was told that in Ontario the modification of headlights to allow them to modulate is against the Ontario law! I am uncertain as I was only riding through so you might want to check. Canada law obviously is different from U.S. law!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:58 am

skypilot52 wrote:I too have read that the modulator is legal in Canada. However, I was also told that the Provinces have the ability to enact laws that are more restrictive than the Federal Government laws. I was riding in Ontario and was told that in Ontario the modification of headlights to allow them to modulate is against the Ontario law! I am uncertain as I was only riding through so you might want to check. Canada law obviously is different from U.S. law!

Not true. There are no provinces in Canada that can override federal Transport Canada guidelines when it comes to legal lighting used on vehicles (apart from things like emergency vehicles). View the "Manuals" link at the top of the page, you'll find the US and Canadian law that makes the modulators legal for use on bikes.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”