I don't know about Home Depot's methods

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

I don't know about Home Depot's methods

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I have to gripe, sorry but this is just sad....My daughter and I rode out to Leavenworth KS. to a Home Depot there, we are painting her room and wanted to get a few items, My gripe is there were no checkers or clerks working...They made you use the do it yourself machine... :shock: :shock: It's a good thing my daughter was with me because I hate those things,,I'm always messing up somehow using them...It's not hard I know as I have used them before but if they can pay a lady to stand there and watch you use it why in the fudge can't they just check you out themselves.. :evil: .I know I'm not the only person that doesn't like those lanes [anyone over 55]...Some of our items didn't scan proper... :shock: thank goodness we finally got it to scan the item...I hate that...On my way out I asked the lady standing there watching us if anyone works there anymore :shock: ...Again on my way out I ask another lady who worked there where the clerks were? she replied we use them to stock because it cost money to have them behind a registor, I replied I'm going to Lowe's from now on if that's the case, they have actual clerks working the registors there, perhaps she got the point...I'm upset because I enjoy human interaction, I just couldn't get that stupid machine to smile at me....That and it goes way faster when they check me out.. I feel like such a numb nuts when I go to those machines...I start sweating and everything...Get the shakes... :lol: :lol: By the time I leave it[20 minutes later] I'm stuttering... :shock: :lol: Anyone else have this problem...ha ha

jhbates2000
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: I don't know about Home Depot's methods

Postby jhbates2000 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 am

Well if it makes you feel any better it isn't just home depot. My dad does all the grocery shopping for him and my mom. The other day he went to our local Krogers to get a few things it he had the same experience. There were no cashiers that time of the morning. They said they only have cashiers at peak times because it saves money. He is like you, can use the machine but would rather have a person there. He asked the attendant if she would help him, she said no because only the self serve lanes were open...consequently they ended up with a buggy full groceries that had to be restocked because he decided to go somewhere else where there is CUSTOMER SERVICE.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 am

Home Depot has been going down for years. Here, the brainacs decided that it would be a good idea to build a Home Depot and a Lowes more or less right next to each other, so we really do have a choice.

The Home Depot is dark, dingy, the floors are unpainted, it is next to IMPOSSIBLE to find an employee if you need help, and the single cashier working usually has a line out into the aisles. More than once I've found an item there, got to the front to pay, abandoned the item and walked out, because I don't care to spend 5+ minutes waiting in line to pay.

The Lowes is bright, clean, with painted floors, helpful employees are always wandering around asking if you need help, and I have never waited more than 30 seconds in line to pay.

Guess which one I ALWAYS go to? I'm surprised Home Depot is still in business here.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 am

I'm not trying to defend Home Depot because I don't enjoy shopping there for the same reasons stated but I have found that if I ask the watcher for assistance they have always been happy to. That said I too would much rather have a cashier check me out.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:02 am

I also learned something new as well,,,You can't use a Lowes credit card at Home Depot..ha ha ha Now you understand why I stand there so long,,,Duhhhh... :lol: Years ago I about really freaked out at Sears,,,it was way back a while ago, they put in place a new and better system, you made a purchase and then you have to go to a computer like machine and enter your receipts number then they will promptly bring your item to you in a timely fashion, this was before I had a clue about these automatic machines and I was really scared of them,,,I could not believe I wasn't speaking to a person for this...This was around 1992 because my first daughter was born, so a cashier checked out my item then tells me to take it to shipping and receiving to pick it up, I didn't like that, I figured that they could have set it up for the cashier to send it back somehow...geez they make the customer Work too :shock: .. ...I was also a little freaked out when the gas stations started the pay at the pump thing but I got used to that, and ATM's too...Oh talk about a brain freeze..That Atm gave me fits...My children don't understand the concept of not having Air Conditioning...We all know what it's like without it..I'm sure...I'm sure you guys have stories to tell...Did a machine keep your card?

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 am

I absolutely refuse to self check-out at the store. I find that they don't pay me to do it, and the prices aren't lower if I do it. They usually have someone standing there to help, so if there aren't any regular cashiers, the watcher will have to do it, or I leave my order there. The same thing goes at the grocery store...I refuse to bag my own groceries, not matter how long the line behind me is. There are lots of people looking for jobs. Bagging groceries was always a decent enough job for a high schooler.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 am

Home Depot service is no better up here so it's a corporate way of doing things. When I go to HD most times I leave mad and frustrated. I go back because it's the only store within 20 miles of me but every time I do I swear it is for the last time. When HD first opened a store in Edmonton I was amazed by the service. Now you are lucky if you find someone and when you do they don't know anything.

Lowes is starting to make an entry into our area. Still an hours drive to the closest Lowes.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:38 am

Ah the new technology. I was at a McDonald's on our last ride and they had a new and better soft drink dispenser. Had a touch screen and you had to program on the screen what you wanted. All the drinks came out of the same spigot. A young girl standing in line had to show me how to get a coke. :oops: Oh well!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am

dingdong wrote:Ah the new technology. I was at a McDonald's on our last ride and they had a new and better soft drink dispenser. Had a touch screen and you had to program on the screen what you wanted. All the drinks came out of the same spigot. A young girl standing in line had to show me how to get a coke. :oops: Oh well!

Ha ha ha I haven't seen those yet.. Oh my goodness... I'm going to pay just alittle more and go to a Mom and Pop's little grocery store I think if I can ever find one.., I can't remember the last time anyone asked me if I needed help in a Walmart...What really gets me is they pay these greeters to greet you right,, and they just look at you and say nothing when you walk in...I want that job man...I would have people coming back to the store I swear...What's wrong with people?.. I don't give a dam if it's Adolf Hitler himself coming to the store If I'm a greeter and I'm being paid to greet I'm going to say Hey Adolf welcome to Walmart have a great shopping experience and please come back... :lol: I think I have a beef with the greeters because when my little girls were small one time a greeter didn't give them a sticker yet he gave a sticker to the people ahead of us and behind us too.. I ignored this action at first and went on in the store, the more I thought about it the more mad I got and finally I went up and asked the man why he didn't give my little girls a sticker...? No reply,,,People can poop on me all they want but when you hurt my childs feelings I'm going to react :evil: ... And to think how much money we spend in this stupid place regularly...So now if they say nothing to me when I walk in I make it a point to say to them in a loud manner,, Thank you, I'm find and How are you.... Do you guys get this too...or is just me...And Cashiers do the same...On the flip side I love the good one's...They are few though...They train them right at Chick filet though, they are always very kind and polite there, I love it and I noticed it immediately too.. How about you guys tell your worst experiences in a store... :shock: :lol: any kinda store..

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 am

littlebeaver wrote:
dingdong wrote:Ah the new technology. I was at a McDonald's on our last ride and they had a new and better soft drink dispenser. Had a touch screen and you had to program on the screen what you wanted. All the drinks came out of the same spigot. A young girl standing in line had to show me how to get a coke. :oops: Oh well!

Ha ha ha I haven't seen those yet.. Oh my goodness... I'm going to pay just alittle more and go to a Mom and Pop's little grocery store I think if I can ever find one.., I can't remember the last time anyone asked me if I needed help in a Walmart...What really gets me is they pay these greeters to greet you right,, and they just look at you and say nothing when you walk in...I want that job man...I would have people coming back to the store I swear...What's wrong with people?.. I don't give a dam if it's Adolf Hitler himself coming to the store If I'm a greeter and I'm being paid to greet I'm going to say Hey Adolf welcome to Walmart have a great shopping experience and please come back... :lol: I think I have a beef with the greeters because when my little girls were small one time a greeter didn't give them a sticker yet he gave a sticker to the people ahead of us and behind us too.. I ignored this action at first and went on in the store, the more I thought about it the more mad I got and finally I went up and asked the man why he didn't give my little girls a sticker...? No reply,,,People can poop on me all they want but when you hurt my childs feelings I'm going to react :evil: ... And to think how much money we spend in this stupid place regularly...So now if they say nothing to me when I walk in I make it a point to say to them in a loud manner,, Thank you, I'm find and How are you.... Do you guys get this too...or is just me...And Cashiers do the same...On the flip side I love the good one's...They are few though...They train them right at Chick filet though, they are always very kind and polite there, I love it and I noticed it immediately too.. How about you guys tell your worst experiences in a store... :shock: :lol: any kinda store..

I can tell you that in Sheboygan ,WI there are NO more greeters at the Walmart Store "None " we have two Walmarts. I bet it won't be long all the Walmarts will follow suit ?

WA9FWT Phil

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:46 pm

I have the same problem at Kroger's I hate those dam self check outs, on more then one occasion I would have just loved to take my 45 out a put some holes in it. I will not use them ever again cause it never fails on item just has to screw every thing up and the cashier has to come fix it. My son gets a kick out of how funny it is when I have used them before as I am cussing and tossing stuff in the bags. HaHa--------------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Menard's and Ace Hardware.
Menard's has everything and Ace has the best people. What Ace doesn't have in the store, they will get it in a couple of days. I actually prefer Ace because they are local, the people are my "neighbors" and a bigger share of the money stays in my home town.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Most of the time I refuse to use the self check-out at a store, My wife always wants to know why not?
I feel it is putting someone out of a job! If I do all the work for them why would they need more people?!
Besides I'm like others and they never scan right when I do use them and that makes me even more mad!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:54 pm

well just knowing that I'm not alone makes me feel much better,,I gave this some thought and tonight my daughter and I went to Walmart and we used the self checkout with zero issues,,I kinda laughed at this whole subject now because its not that hard...Well, my daughter kinda is there so I feel better.. She also laughs at me :evil: .. I'd look pretty funny shooting the machine with my bow and arrow though :lol: .... :lol: I'd rather just give it an elbow or something..Maybe a flying head ram or a Wahoo McDaniels chop ... :shock: Stupid Home Depot...
Last edited by littlebeaver on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Where I live they have Home Building Supplies and Home Hardware Stores, which are NOT - NOT - NOT in any way related to Home Depot. The people in our Home Stores know my name and use it when I go in to do business. The small city (city in Canada is 5,000 population) of 55,000 that I have lived in for a long time is like that. I know a terrific lot of people who know other people that know me, and so on. We also have Canadian Tire up here, and they hire teens to work their cash registers. In the Canadian Tire stores, I use the self checkouts in self defense from those young people who overly frustrate me by looking stupid when asked a question - any question. I do not know what it is about when they begin to work there, because fifteen minutes earlier, outside the store, they were not stupid. Perhaps they are fortifying themselves with a bit of wacky backy prior to their shift, or perhaps it is the boredom of the cashout. Our Home Depot has not yet reached the pinnacle that you folks are describing, but it is headed that way. I only go to Sears to buy jeans. Nothing else. Walmart here has just done a multi million dollar expansion and is now worse than it was before. We ONLY have self checkouts at Canadian Tire and at Home Depot as of yet, but they will arrive I am sure. Bigger places have them here. We just had our Zellers, which was useless, bought out and now replaced by Target, which is just Zellers all over again, except now they also sell stale dated food. This small city has been this size for fifty years, and every time they have some new great improved business move into town, it is just the same old business we had before with fresh paint. We also have an Ace hardware, but it is too small to really take it's place. I have to say though, alla y'all should see our Home Hardware. It is like a huge old trading post. It is so crammed with stuff that you would think you could not find anything, but the employees know where everything is. Also, if you have tried to find something all over town, you should have gone to our Home Hardware first, because they will have it. The owner went to school with my son, and if I need anything at all, he will make sure I get it. I actually hate cities the size of this one, but I have to say one thing for it. Everyone knows everyone or at least they know someone who does know everyone. It is a small city thing. So, I visit the big cities once in a while and when I am tired of eating in all the fantastic restaurants, I come back home to our little hick city. It's comfortable.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 pm

The local Walmart has them and I will not use it I'd rather stand in line and deal with a real person.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 am

The other side of the story.

At the grocery store where we shop it is a different story. I get so peed off at the checkers and the sackers. They are mostly teens and they usually try to hold a conversation with each other while checking out customers. This really slows down checkout time and mistakes can be made. I am a person who wants their undivided attention when spending my money. I called this to their attention once and the checker replied "What ever". Wrong! I read her the riot act and the store manager overheard what was happening and promptly came over and relieved this checker. Nothing has changed though. I am beginning to shop elsewhere.
Tom

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 am

Whoa. Chill out guys. This isn't an issue to get so worked up about. Now poor attitude and/or workmanship from my local Honda dealer?? THAT'S something to get worked up about. :D

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 am

What ? No story? What about your Honda dealer...It's time to vent a little man.. come on.... :lol: What about the lady in line at the store that completely waits until her total has been presented then she gets her two ton purse out and writes a check... :lol: Shoot me now. :lol: .I am going to make it an effort to use these self check stations I think...We did it yesterday and as we walked out I could see the same people in line still...I still don't know how to check out produce though... :shock:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:14 pm

I LOVED North Bay when I was up visiting last. My friend who lives there bought a light fixture at a garage sale, and asked if I could put it up for her. I took down the old one, and realized I was going to need an odd part to put the new one in its place. I headed out in search of a hardware store, any hardware store. Before I went a couple blocks, I saw a small electric store, with an older guy standing out front. I pulled in and talked to him, turned out he owned the place. I described to him what I was doing and what I needed. 5 minutes later, he had rooted around in his parts bins and found exactly what I needed. I tried to pay him, and he would have no part of it - just wanted me to know that if I needed a spa or bathtub, he had the best prices in the city. Nice, small-town store.

themainviking wrote:Where I live they have Home Building Supplies and Home Hardware Stores, which are NOT - NOT - NOT in any way related to Home Depot. The people in our Home Stores know my name and use it when I go in to do business. The small city (city in Canada is 5,000 population) of 55,000 that I have lived in for a long time is like that. I know a terrific lot of people who know other people that know me, and so on. We also have Canadian Tire up here, and they hire teens to work their cash registers. In the Canadian Tire stores, I use the self checkouts in self defense from those young people who overly frustrate me by looking stupid when asked a question - any question. I do not know what it is about when they begin to work there, because fifteen minutes earlier, outside the store, they were not stupid. Perhaps they are fortifying themselves with a bit of wacky backy prior to their shift, or perhaps it is the boredom of the cashout. Our Home Depot has not yet reached the pinnacle that you folks are describing, but it is headed that way. I only go to Sears to buy jeans. Nothing else. Walmart here has just done a multi million dollar expansion and is now worse than it was before. We ONLY have self checkouts at Canadian Tire and at Home Depot as of yet, but they will arrive I am sure. Bigger places have them here. We just had our Zellers, which was useless, bought out and now replaced by Target, which is just Zellers all over again, except now they also sell stale dated food. This small city has been this size for fifty years, and every time they have some new great improved business move into town, it is just the same old business we had before with fresh paint. We also have an Ace hardware, but it is too small to really take it's place. I have to say though, alla y'all should see our Home Hardware. It is like a huge old trading post. It is so crammed with stuff that you would think you could not find anything, but the employees know where everything is. Also, if you have tried to find something all over town, you should have gone to our Home Hardware first, because they will have it. The owner went to school with my son, and if I need anything at all, he will make sure I get it. I actually hate cities the size of this one, but I have to say one thing for it. Everyone knows everyone or at least they know someone who does know everyone. It is a small city thing. So, I visit the big cities once in a while and when I am tired of eating in all the fantastic restaurants, I come back home to our little hick city. It's comfortable.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Hey Beave,... I DO have some pet peeves to vent about. I especially get annoyed with the lady who pays for her groceries, etc. and THEN takes her sweet time putting everything back into her purse in just the right slot,..unzip this, zip up that, put this card here, put that money there, all while standing in line,...well, you get the picture. How's that for a vent?? :D

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:35 pm

In the South land, we have some of those self serve checkouts. I hope they break! I dont use them, as I also feel they are doing a person out of a retail employment experience. I always chat with the "checkout chick or rooster" and usually start up with: "How's life in the fast lane?" They usually get it, and smile - and that is what I was after.

The other way to get their attention is to say to the 'meeter and greeter' "Thank you for standing" and with a smile and a wave enter. They find that their life checking bags on the way out could be a bit boring, so I try to engage them. I even asked them the other day where a particular product was, and she got a shelf-stacker to show me exactly where it was.

Perhaps retailing is not the most glamorous, but it does put some money in some people's pockets. I do not like those speciality stores, eg auto parts places, that hide behind their parts catalogues looking up fictitious parts and ignore paying customers.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Oh yeah,,I just remembered something,,, last time I went to the Sam's Club store they had a line of people at the exit door and there was one employee checking all the items they bought to the receipt...Oh man I thought we were in a prison camp or something, most of the time they are happy just seeing a receipt but going thru every item is for the birds man..... Oh here's a good one for when a cashier asked you if you want your milk in a bag...I like to say,,, No thank you, just leave it in the carton.. :lol: :lol: The smart one's get it and giggle but some of the young kids just have a blank look on their face which makes me laugh..

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:14 am

littlebeaver wrote:Oh yeah,,I just remembered something,,, last time I went to the Sam's Club store they had a line of people at the exit door and there was one employee checking all the items they bought to the receipt...Oh man I thought we were in a prison camp or something, most of the time they are happy just seeing a receipt but going thru every item is for the birds man..... Oh here's a good one for when a cashier asked you if you want your milk in a bag...I like to say,,, No thank you, just leave it in the carton.. :lol: :lol: The smart one's get it and giggle but some of the young kids just have a blank look on their face which makes me laugh..

Only you would think of a answer like that Martin. :lol: But I had to laugh...
Like I said, we do not have greeters any more at Walmart, or do we have any one check our bags on the way out.

WA9FWT Phil

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:13 pm

I personally choose to use the self checkout. I have come to grips with the fact that stores don't like to put real people anywhere useful and so I have become a shopping ninja and I try to slip in and out without anyone knowing I am there... except by the money I left with them on the way out the door. WOW! They do really have me trained, don't they?! The local walmart seems to always have a greeter but they are usually Hispanic and never use a word in English. Not a racist here... just don't want to have to learn Spanish to communicate. I think it might actually be a good idea to employ them to grab the garbage out of the cart that some selfish yutz left there when they caged their cart in the parking lot. I'd do it myself but there isn't ever a garbage can anywhere near the cart pickup area... so I guess the greeter couldn't grab it either cuz they wouldn't have access to a garbage can. DANG! Foiled by a garbage can! What is the world coming to? :cry:

I remember the days as a young kid where our neighborhood grocer left a basket of grease markers by the shopping carts and as you shopped, you'd take the tag price and mark it on the product you selected at the shelf you got it from. The checker looked for your mark and rang you up. WAIT A MINUTE... THAT'S SLAVE LABOR! Using the shoppers to mark their own prices on the products so the stocker didn't have to use a price sticker gun. Man... it was bad even back then! ;)

Customer service is dead. People are not an asset but a liability in the retail world. If they could figure out how to make us do all the labor and what not, they would. Wait a minute :idea: That is what internet marketing is all about. I have yet to actually have someone help me at all with my online purchases. Just glad to be able to get stuff freely... even if I have to deal with ineptness along the way.

"Carpe Cartus" - Your cart is running away

Return to “Goldwing Chat”