Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Hello everone,new member here.I have acquired a 1983 I and having fun with it.Owned a 1982 Aspencade in 82 and we had a major momentium transfer with the earth,and shifted to a 1983 Venture.In 1986 went to a new Harley dresser FLHT and have 221,000 miles on udnudn (that's her name).She is tired and needs a engine rebuild ,so came the 83 for a driver as udnudn is in repair.Parts for the 86 Harley are a search,as the older wings. A lot has changed here on the Goldwing sites and thanks to all of you who have posted tip,tricks,repair,how too's,humor.
These goldwings are something else.I had four days to get her ready for the Indy gp's and the Indy mile,i.e. oil ,filter,repairing brake problems,and lots of electrical(twist and tape lightbar connections)problems,and a dragin starter.Did you know that on a sunday you can find brake pads for a interstate at o'reillys? I didn't either.(sent the misses out for parts,told her not to come back with out them,tuff guy huh?) [
Did a little over 1600 miles on that trip,and she just got better.Finally I gave up on all the what if's and went riding.(I have never had a bad breakdown.....just another adventure)We understand each other now.If I do my job, she will do hers.Did you ride your motorcycle today? udnudn...Jim

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: New Member

Postby Mag » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:15 pm

NICE! WEll, welcome to the group! This is a fun place, and love the back story.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:25 pm

That's a lot of miles on that Harley, good for you...I like all bikes .. Welcome to the site and I am curious on the brake parts you ordered at o'rileys, is there a part number or how did you ask for them? for a 83 GL 1100 or what? I want that ... :D

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am

Chasing parts on the sunday,not to many options.After the little lady had gone to cycle connection looking for parts,she was going to use o'reillys as a backup for oil filter.She just ask the partsguy if they had m/c brake pads,they did.By the way ,this was the warehouse parts store.On o'reillys home page toward the top they have a specialty box,clicked under that and found powersports listings.She did have part numbers with her when she went.I always try to take part numbers with me(sometimes two or three numbers of the same part for reference)to save a little time.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 am

Yeah man the magic of the internet is badass because I do the same, I get the part number call the store give it to them and they check to see if it's in or not and usually it's at a different location and I then save gas and time going to that location...Awesome...Someone said on another site that O'riley's had dyna beads for the tires too..I have not checked on that yet...that would be great if they did.. :D I have Auto zone, Napa, Advance, and O'riley's on my favorites list and I recommend this for everyone if you have not done this yet....

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am

littlebeaver wrote:Yeah man the magic of the internet is badass because I do the same, I get the part number call the store give it to them and they check to see if it's in or not and usually it's at a different location and I then save gas and time going to that location...Awesome...Someone said on another site that O'riley's had dyna beads for the tires too..I have not checked on that yet...that would be great if they did.. :D I have Auto zone, Napa, Advance, and O'riley's on my favorites list and I recommend this for everyone if you have not done this yet....

O Rileys "Hey " I never heard of that place until the other day traveling out of town I saw a brand new store that just opened up. I will have to check this place out. I guess, I learned something today "Great " Thanks guys ! :o

WA9FWT Phil

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Welcome aboard........
Bill

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello Jim and welcome to the website from the U.P of Michigan. You definitely have some miles under your belt and you also get your hands dirty. BTW, how long before your wife came back? Mine would never come back. Hmmmm. Oh, anyway OReilly parts are nation wide and handle a lot of parts you would never think of. I have been to several states after hurricanes and one of the first things we do is find the closest OReilly store. Using several different pieces of heavy equipment plus one ton trucks and trailers. Needing hydraulic fittings, hoses, and a multitude of other parts, they work great.
Proud member Patriot Guard

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Littlebeaver,Phil,Bill,Bustedwing,Thanks for stopping by to say Hi.
The UP huh? A friend of mine from up that way sez that in conversation every now and then,nice to here.Yup,orealys,orielys,owillis are good for a lot of stuff.Seems like everytime I needed a hydraulic
hose it was on a sunday,so off to the green store "Nope,we don't makem here,you gotta go over to Little Rabbit get a hose made" get home about midnight.You sound like a road dog,,chasin that woooork.
Started flushing the cooling system on the 83. She got me to Indy and back,no problem.As the water settled in the pan and separating,tiny tiny metal flakes.Just finished reading the wing man book on waterpump replacement.This pump had the metal blades so it has been changed in less than 35,000 miles.I have 1/4 easy play in the impeller.Damn,just got my hands clean.BTW she got home in time to get supper ready.....
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am

a warm welcome from across the pond nice bike

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

Welcome from the Keystone State. Glad you've found a home here also. Best people in the world right here.

I'm also a GW and Harley owner. You might try to call the bike shop that I used to work at. They specialize in H-D and have probably the biggest stock in used and NOS stuff for older Hogs that I've ever seen. If they don't have or can't find at least some of the stuff for the '86 you need, I'll be surprised. 724-282-7278. Make sure you ask for Bill. He's the parts manager and my close friend. He knows H-D and if anyone can help you, it'll be him. Shipping is an everyday thing for them. They take plastic and Paypal over the phone.

Best of luck on the project and with the Wing also.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Thank you squirrel,wjnfirearms and for the tip on the Harley parts,yes the evo parts (nos) are hard to come across.I have learned that sometimes it is Harley,Honda only on major parts,there is a difference. Once I came home on two Chevy coils mounted on the Harley,when one side went out.Did good.I was wondering the other day about quick fix on the Goldwing on coils if one should lay down.About a year ago I sent the hog heads to V-Twin for rebuild and they do excellent work.I will probably be calling Bill soon as I am getting ready to split the cases for bottom end repair and chase parts.Sometimes it is a pain in the butt to keep this seasoned iron on the road.Hey! still ridin that same ole scooter...yup...makes it all worth it. As of now I have **** (waitin on parts).Shop cleaned and ready for the next round.Standing by...

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Return to “Goldwing Chat”