I guess karma does comes around after all

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

I guess karma does comes around after all

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 am

Fellas, I haven't said much, but things have been fairly crappy here for a while now. I had lost my job at the bike shop due to a little Napoleon manager and my not taking crap off anyone. There has been nothing since. Now, suddenly a big change happened yesterday. I'm being appointed deputy constable in my township. I'm heading to the courthouse later to start the procedure. I have to figure out how to be able to buy the uniform supplies and duty gear I need as nobody supplies it for this type of position, but I'll figure out something. This is something I had been hoping to do and it'll be good. The elected constable told me that if all works out ok over time, he would not run at the next election in a couple years and I could take the ballot.

It's WAY about time that things started turning around. Now, if the wife ever hears about the job she had two interviews about, things would be nearly perfect.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: I guess karma does comes around after all

Postby themainviking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 am

Congrats Bud. The world works that way sometimes. Happy for you.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:23 am

Great news, I hope the new job is everything you wanted.. Fingers crossed that your wife has some good news soon..

Gary

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 pm

NICE NICE NICE NICE!!! Congrats! You right, Karma does have a habit of making a circle ;)

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Congrats.
The little dirt-bag went back to Florida at the end of July and the new GM is calm and laid back.
God always watches over his people and makes a way for them.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 am

Yeah, I know about Tim leaving for Florida. For some inexplicable reason, Bill seems to think that there is a real chance Chris is bringing the psycho back next spring again. Personally, I think he is being paranoid, but who knows. He comes back to Butler, he may not live to return to Florida again. And I don't mean by my hand, either.

Thanks for the well wishes. Y'all are ok in my book.

Things went a bit squirrelly with the job, like roller coaster squirrelly. I went to the court office to get what paperwork I needed to get things rolling. Short version, the current constable can't appoint deputies because in essence, he isn't a constable. My heart dropped when she told me that. Then she went on and told me to petition for full constable and ask him to pen a letter stating that he wouldn't interfere with my appointment. I went home and drafted a letter and he signed it! Now, all I need to do is get 14 neighbors to sign a petition asking the president judge in the county to grant me his position and after I get investigated for criminal stuff, I'm in. My mom in law is politically connected and the sheriff is going to call the judge personally to grease the wheels, so to speak, as soon as I turn everything in. This isn't a "get rich" job by any means. Still, it's steady, my own schedule, necessary, and I get to give back to my Township and the county.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Any local law inforcement job isn't a get rich job, it's supported by tax payers. Your heart has to be in the job for other reasons, but you mentioned giving back to the community and that is the right idea in any tax supported office. I am happy to hear things are turning around for you, just a few speed bumps to get over. I wish you all the luck. Keep us posted. Don't forget to take a ride once in awhile.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

I may be the only constable in the Commonwealth who serves warrants on two wheels. :D Might make it interesting transporting prisoners, though. :P

I got all the paperwork turned in the other day for the president judge to sign off on so I can get sworn in. Unfortunately, now it's a waiting game until he does it. I had to get 14 signatures on a petition from registered voters in the township as it's an elected position I'm assuming, but nobody refused me. That made me feel good. The clerk of courts was very satisfied with everything turned in, especially how I worded the letter from the outgoing constable.

Again, guys...I really appreciate the support. Means everything.

Unfortunately, the wife's job went sideways...they hired someone else...again. She was really bummed yesterday with that and other issues we have been dealing with lately. She rarely gets like that and it bothered me a lot to see her like that. All I can do is to be there and be as supportive as can be like always.

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 am

it will work out .have faith as others have said its karma and it will come round

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 pm

It may take a (short) while, but hang in there, and enjoy your jobs.

As a foreignor, I know what a constable is in Oz, but what is the difference between a Constable and a Deputy Sheriff? In Oz, a Sheriff works for the courthouse, and can action certain court orders, such as evictions, and collections by selling off property, etc. A constable, to us, is one who enforces the laws, and we only have State Police and Federal Police - no city, and no county police. So you get pulled over for speeding by a constable, and you get locked up for disorderly conduct by a constable. So I am interested to know what your duties are that allows you to ride your two wheels around your local area handing out warrants, and making the poor miscreants walk behind your two wheeler on their way to jail/gaol.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 am

Well, my Aussie friend, it's pretty much the opposite here. A sheriff is a law enforcement officer. In Pennsylvania, they do mostly court related duties. In some states, they actually have more authority than the state police. There is generally one sheriff in each county or parish. The duties of a constable can vary from state to state. There can be one elected constable in each municipality here. There are some municipalities that have no constables as nobody wished to do the job, so the constables in neighboring municipalities pick up their slack.

A constable here in our state is primarily attached to the courts also, but most often on a lower level within the municipal court system. They do warrants, civil actions, other filings, transport prisoners, monitor the polls during elections ( they are the only law enforcement agents that are allowed to attend the polls by law in our state. Not even the state police can), and more as needed. Many do private gigs such as special events and the like to make extra money. The main constable in a municipality is elected, much like the sheriff, but the constable serves a 6 year term and is eligible to be re-elected. He/she in both offices can appoint deputies. Constables are essentially contracted LEOs and are paid by the duty. They have to provide everything they have to use to do the job from uniforms to a weapon to a vehicle where a sheriff and the deputies are provided everything by the department. This is my biggest hurdle right now. Training, which is mandatory, is provided free by the state. The biggest advantage to being a constable is that you can do it part time if you have another job or full time, your choice. You set most of your schedule yourself. I plan to do it full time. Whether or not I end up appointing any deputies will depend on the workload. Time will tell. If a constable needs to be backed up on a particular detail because of a concern that the serving is particularly dangerous, he can enlist the assistance of one of his deputies, the constable of a neighboring municipality, or the police.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Just an update. I got called into the court administrator's office a few days ago. He is in charge of all constables in the county. We met and had a chat about the job along with providing me some important rules & regs. They are waiting for my criminal history check to be returned and I should be getting sworn in sometime in October.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:08 pm

This is what our High Sheriffs look like - we don't appear to have medium or low sheriffs. Goodness knows what they do. I did speak to one in the 80s and he said that one of his principal duties was to be present at executions. Given that we ended capital punishment in the 1960s, it seems a pretty good job to have.

Now they might give you a gun but I bet they don't give you a sword!

I wish you well and good luck in your new career.
Attachments
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:35 am

Here in our county, I thought the constable was a new tax collector. In the past 2 years, they must have hired a few hundred as they are hiding behind every tree, curve, bush, low spot on a hill and drive stealth cars much of the time. They have to be issuing 100 ticket a day at an average of $150 a pop, that is bringing in a very good income for the county. If there is a tree or bush that doesn't have a constable behind it, it has a county sheriff behind it. Then we throw in all the police the school districts now hire, the State Police who also look for those low spots in our little rolling hills and it is no wonder the budget is so high and the crime rate is too. They are all doing traffic duties which as far as I am concerned is just a revenue collector. I personally find it way over the top. Granted there are a lot of crappy drivers here. But, they don't seem to care about anyone but the speeders that they can catch with radar. Why not get the tailgaters, the texters, those on cell phones, those pulling out in front of you when you are doing the speed limit and they are 100 feet in front of you when they decide to pull out causing you to hit the brakes to keep from rear ending them. This "me first" generation is killing more people in cars than ever before.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 am

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we? If they seem to be little more than Highway Patrol, then that's what the powers to be want them to be.

I'm getting sworn in tomorrow morning, finally. The wheels turned slowly.

And the wife did finally find a job, a good one to boot. She is working for a sign and graphics company doing the books, invoices and quite a bit more. It's a smaller family run company and she loves it. The owner treats it like one big family and they must be doing something right. It's growing and business is good. They're moving into a bigger facility beginning of next summer.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:48 am

This is great news for you and your wife. Fingers crossed it all works out, sounds like this Xmas should be one to remember!! :D

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am

Good news, sounds like things are finally coming together for you!

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Great news for you and your family. It is always good when people can get back to work. And, by the way, my comments about what goes on here in Texas by no means was intended to imply anything negative about your job of Constable. It is just what has been going on here lately. I wish you the best of luck in your new job and hope you enjoy it. The best job to have is one you are happy with.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 am

It sounds like you are really getting back to a normal life! Congratulations, karma is real.

Do you ride your mc while doing your 'rounds' in the cold, wet, and icy conditions, or do you catch up on paperwork back at the office where the heaters work well?

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”