What's it worth?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Midas
Motorcycle: 1997 goldwing 1500SE

What's it worth?

Postby Midas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am

Going to look at a 1994 Goldwing 1500SE with a Motor Trike conversion this weekend. I know the owners daughter (who is an avid rider) and she says her dad was anal about care and maintanance. The trike has 130,000 miles on it.
I know its impossible to say what it's worth without seeing the trike, but if someone could give me a "ballpark" value I would have an educated guess at where to start (or end) with the purchase price if it comes to that.
I do appreciate any assistance offered.
TIA
Midas

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: What's it worth?

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Midas wrote:Going to look at a 1994 Goldwing 1500SE with a Motor Trike conversion this weekend. I know the owners daughter (who is an avid rider) and she says her dad was anal about care and maintanance. The trike has 130,000 miles on it.
I know its impossible to say what it's worth without seeing the trike, but if someone could give me a "ballpark" value I would have an educated guess at where to start (or end) with the purchase price if it comes to that.
I do appreciate any assistance offered.
TIA
Midas

It's "worth" exactly what the buyer is willing to pay. For a idea of what people are asking, consult online seller forums.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply with the obvious. I probably phrased it wrong using "worth" instead of "value". Since everyone on this forum has way more knowledge of Goldwings than I do, I was hoping that someone would be willing to share that knowledge in this regard. I can find the "blue book" value of the bike but have no idea as to where to look for one with the trike conversion.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:21 pm

And therein lies the rub. It depends on which trike conversion was used, and how many miles were put on since the conversion. You could probably add 4 to 6 thousand dollars to the Blue Book on the bike, if you can find a Blue Book value for that age bike, but not knowing which conversion was used puts any valuation off the top of my head in jeopardy. More info is necessary.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 pm

themainviking wrote:And therein lies the rub. It depends on which trike conversion was used, and how many miles were put on since the conversion. You could probably add 4 to 6 thousand dollars to the Blue Book on the bike, if you can find a Blue Book value for that age bike, but not knowing which conversion was used puts any valuation off the top of my head in jeopardy. More info is necessary.

Thank you for some useful information. The conversion is Motor Trike and I believe it was done in '96. It was driven down to Texas 2 or 3 years ago and was inspected by Motor Trike and everything is in very good shape. Suggested retail on the bike alone is $5945.00 as per KBB.
I knew that someone would help me out with this. I have read many posts here and have learned alot through this forum. This is a great site.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 am

themainviking wrote:And therein lies the rub. It depends on which trike conversion was used, and how many miles were put on since the conversion. You could probably add 4 to 6 thousand dollars to the Blue Book on the bike, if you can find a Blue Book value for that age bike, but not knowing which conversion was used puts any valuation off the top of my head in jeopardy. More info is necessary.

Sorry bout that... I totally missed the Motor Trike conversion. My bad for not RTFP (reading the full post) Hawwwww. Yeah, if it books for $6000, and you add $4000 to $6000 for the trike conversion, you could end up with a price anywhere from $7000 to $12000 depending on condition, on how much they love the bike and how much you love the bike. With bikes of this age, the statement "whatever the market will bear" comes up pretty regularly. I would absolutely not pay as much as $12000, personally, but I would not expect to beat them below $7000 either. If you can, you get a bargain like Manhattan. Good luck.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Thank you very much themainviking for the reply and information.
This gives me the "ballpark" value that I was hoping for. I'm sure that I won't get them down to $7000 because the bike is in excellent condition and well maintained. I don't plan on paying the full $12000 either mainly because I know the previous owner and thats what it sold for then. I'm looking at $10500 to $11000 range.
Going to look at and ride it tomorrow. Will know more then.
Thanks again and ride safe.
Midas

Return to “Goldwing Chat”