trooper hits motorcycle

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
biker4life
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

trooper hits motorcycle

Postby biker4life » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:10 pm

sorry if I violated any rules but viewed this on another site and thought it was important to see
a ohio state trooper strikes a pair riding their motorcycle at night , dont want to speculate but it appears the trooper was speeding and not very attentive .

:o :o :o :o :( :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: trooper hits motorcycle

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:16 pm

That trooper will probably get the normal punishment - a month off. With pay.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:39 pm

I can't view the video, but what happened to the riders?

Gary

biker4life
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby biker4life » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:25 pm

you can go to youtube and do a search under --- ohio state trooper hit motorcycle
it appears they both will be ok but looks like he has a broken arm and leg and she has some facial injuries,

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am

Wow! He's more worried about his car than the couple. Wonder if he was on his computer or cell phone.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Hope there is some way to keep track of how this trooper gets punished and the wellbeing of the riders. It will probably be swept under the rug and anyone who tries to complain will be harassed by his friends.
Proud member Patriot Guard

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

It appears that he comes up on them really fast or they are going very slow, the troopers friends will ride him and joke about it for a while and then he will be promoted because that's how things work...Screw up and get a promotion... If I were in charge he would lose his job like tomorrow...No excuses... :shock:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:40 am

littlebeaver wrote:It appears that he comes up on them really fast or they are going very slow, the troopers friends will ride him and joke about it for a while and then he will be promoted because that's how things work...Screw up and get a promotion... If I were in charge he would lose his job like tomorrow...No excuses... :shock:

That's a bit harsh, we all make mistakes. I am surprised by the apparent lack of concern he shows for the injured riders and I would definitely expect some form of punishment/demotion for his actions, but to fire him seems a little excessive. What ever happens I feel he should be punished for his actions, his emergency lights do not appear to be on, which would indicate he was not trying to get somewhere quickly, he just seems to be driving at a speed inappropriate for the conditions..

Gary

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:01 am

Too be hit from behind, and then to find out it was a cop O.M.G
No way to avoid this kind of a accident ! This is what happens when you get tail gating that can't stop in time and scares the crap out of me as soon as I see some one too close to my tail.

Those people will suffer the rest of there lives with all that happened to there body. I'm sure that trouper has a story too tell, as to why it happened.
WA9FWT Phil

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Firing is too HARSH????? If the roles would have been reversed, you'd have been fired from your job........unless you had an employer that would hold your job for the 5 years you'd spend in prison for hitting a cop !!!!!
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:01 am

It's very easy to be an armchair quarterback with something like this. I've done some accident investigation in my past life.

First, the dashcam video was edited. There were segments not seen. The jumps prove this. Dashcam video is streaming, doesn't stop until it's stopped and it appears that the one in the cruiser was set for continuous recording, so the trooper couldn't have stopped it if he wanted to. We had ones like this in our vehicles. If an incident occurred, it would either save you or crucify you. There's things you didn't see after the collision. Don't say he didn't care about the victims of the crash. He had to tend to them, secure the scene, keep other vehicles from becoming involved while being amped up and probably scared to death. All by himself until someone else showed up and you have no way of knowing how long this will take from where he was at. That is just plain unfair to say.

The trooper was definitely at fault, but why were they stopped in the middle of a dark road? I'd like to know that.

As to distracted driving, it is likely that this contributed. The onboard computers are a great law enforcement tool, but they do take your attention off of the road. Not good if your a one man car. I vividly remember doing a ride along with a police department when I was visiting the Bay Area in Cali. The officer I spent the day with was buzzing down one road checking the terminal and I looked up to see us approaching a stopped minivan, very quickly. If I hadn't shouted at the last minute, it would have become our hood ornament.

I guarantee you that he will feel severe penalties for what happened as well as having to live with it for the rest of his life. Aside from any violations of Ohio's vehicle code he committed, he will have to answer for any violations of department policy and as the OHP is now a target for a lawsuit that they cannot possibly overturn in court, he has potential personal liability for that. They likely will throw the book at him. You can be as skeptical as you want. He is going to pay dearly for his poor judgment. Little consolation to the bikers, but it is what it is.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:52 am

Why did you think they were stopped ? You asked this question and you said that you wanted to know why they were stopped in the middle of the road? they were not stopped and there is clear proof if you just look at the video again :D , you can see the lines going by, he just didn't see them, they were going too slow or he was going way to fast and it is clear to me [everyone] he wasn't paying attention to the road...Probably the computer thing or he was texting...Should check his phone records to see the time of his last text and the time of the video and compare them...Pretty simple.. :D

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:43 am

Yeah Beaver......looked like he was movin to me too.... I think the cop was drunk....it's not always a cell phone. This seemed like impaired judgement, even him getting out and checking his car first.....that's a sign of confusion. I wonder if they made him blow in that little machine? He was on something.....Anybody who investigated accidents before AND rides a bike knows you aren't sitting still when the two bikers feet are off the ground.
As a professional arm chair investigator I will look at some 'Observations' .....
* The video did make the cop look like he was going an average speed......if you ever watched a You Tube on these speed freaks.....you can tell these mofos are going 175 MPH just by the background. so I say the cop wasn't speeding.

* I got no idea why the mocycle was going so slow (it seems)....poor tailights are for sure cause that drunken SOB came up on the pretty quick.......Why do I say that???? Because that's the FIRST thing they would say to me..... ARE YOU BLIND????? NO, YOU MUST BE IMPAIRED..... Here comes the taser and pepper spray they love to use so much.....and when you object (cause you're not impaired, you get a resisiting arrest)....a ride downtown, then another cop is assigned to investigate this when you complain.

* Police dept. budgets are draining cities,counties and states with all the crap they have to stop a guy going over the speed limit, out of all the seperate departments, Police accomplish the least and the have the highest budgets in all ranks of govt.

* I say fire that drunken cop and all the people who let him get away with it. And give the biker enough money for his pain and suffering and to buy a bike that goes faster than 35MPH on the freeway.

* Or maybe the biker was totally in the wrong, no-one will ever know the truth.

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “Goldwing Chat”