1978 GL1000 Goldwing Restoration Underway

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mochaboy
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

1978 GL1000 Goldwing Restoration Underway

Postby mochaboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am

Just started a restoration project. I picked this GoldWing (and another frame, motor, and rear wheel) up off of Craigslist for $175. It's a 1978 and all the parts are there with the exception of the tank and side covers. It also came with a Windjammer and Luggage rack. The wiring harness is intact but most of the connectors are bad from sitting out in the Arizona sun. (I'm currently marking all the wires since I have to put on new connectors) The motor turns over. There was no water in the oil when I drained it and it looked fairly clean. The anti-freeze in the radiator also looked pretty good. I'm in the process now of completely tearing it down and restoring it from the frame up. Any tips or advice out there that anyone can provide will be appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing Restoration Underway

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

The wiring harnesses are well-known to be not the most robust things in the world, and in my opinion, the wires are undersized for a lot of the functions. Have you thought of just abandoning the harness with its old failing connectors altogether, and building a new one?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 pm

That's a great price, but you sure have your work cut out for you!! Will keep you busy for a long time..

mochaboy

Postby mochaboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:53 pm

I will probably keep the harness and just work with it a bit. I see what you mean by some of the wiring undersized. I've discovered a few of the wires and connectors a burned and brittle. Wherever it looks too light I will probably run a seperate set of wires, but if I start discovering a lot of them I will probably go with a new setup.

2slim
Motorcycle: 2 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby 2slim » Sat May 01, 2010 9:56 am

The first Wing I could call my own was a blue 78. Kinda wish I still owned it.
Funny thing is, I sold it in the early 90's to someone out of town. Then
I discovered it again, 2 years ago, while on a short ride with a local guy
I had never ridden with before. We stop for a stretch and I got to looking
at his copper colored 78 and was tell him that I had owned a blue just like his.
He said his bike had been blue before it was re-painted. Well, as it turned out
his 78 was the bike I had owned. It's here, in town again, after a 15 plus year
absence. The new owner had bought it from a buy who lived a couple of hundred
miles away.

mochaboy

Postby mochaboy » Sat May 01, 2010 12:06 pm

This is the first Wing that I've owned. I've always wanted one but until now I wasn't in a position to buy one. I'm excited about the restoration. All the parts are there, just don't know if they all work. I have it down to just the frame now and looking forward to finally starting to rebuild. I'm still not sure if I want to go through the motor yet or not. I'm not sure how long it has been sitting. Owner said it ran, and it does turn over. After removing the carbs I took a peek at the intakes and they look a bit gummy. The oil didn't look bad when I drained it. I'll kick myself if I put it all back together and only do the procedure for a long lay up as described in another post and discover issues with the motor. Guess I could pull the valve covers to get a closer look before I decide.

2slim
Motorcycle: 2 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby 2slim » Sat May 01, 2010 1:15 pm

Probably, the first issue, if the motor has been sitting for a long time without being run, is the seals will
have dried out some, thus causing oil leaks. Valve stem seals dry out and begin to leak as well.
Good chance that the rest of the motor will be ok. Although oil acids can work on the internal metals,
including the main and rod bearings. Also, the water pump impeler shaft seal can dry out causing the pump
to leak out of the weep hole. Always use non silicate anti-freeze.

I don't know..........if you're going to do a frame up restore, you might consider renewing seals and gaskets. Depends.

I am sure there are others lurking here and else where who have more to offer.

mochaboy

Postby mochaboy » Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I'm tracked the project in member pictures section under mochaboy. Progress is slow but have found a good home remedy for derusting the tank. I picked up some PH+ from the pool store. I made a 50/50 solution of PH+ and Water filled the tank, and suspended a flat steel bar on a wooden dowel in the fuel gauge float hole. Ran a battery charger off of a GFI outlet (for safety) and set it on 2 amps - 12 volts. After about a half hour I turned off the charger and I couldn't believe how much rust was attached to the steel bar. I decided to let it cook for a few days since the tank was pretty rusty inside. I pull the steel bar out about every four hours to clean off the rust and stir the water in the tank. I also found that baking soda and vinegar works good on parts that are rusted. You make a paste out of it and just let it sit. Works pretty good. Even on rust that is pitted deep into the metal.
Ready to rebuild
Ready to rebuild
Steel Bar after first 30 minutes
Steel Bar after first 30 minutes
Tank derust setup
Tank derust setup

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Jeeper » Mon May 17, 2010 3:39 pm

I checked out your pictures and it looks like its going great. I love the color you're painting it.

Where did you find a chrome rear fender, or is that something you had done?

Are you rebuilding the engine before putting it in, or perhaps having a shop do it?

mochaboy

Postby mochaboy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks - I like the color too. It's actually Catepillar yellow. The chrome rear fender came with the wing. It also has chrome highway bars for the front and some other kind of wrap around chrome bars for the back, I'm not sure what they call them. All the chrome is polishing out nice with just chrome polish and light abrasive pad. I will probably pull the heads, water pump, fuel pump clutch cover etc, just to look over everything real good before I reinstall the motor. I'm hoping I will not find any surprises underneath. If all looks well - I will put it back it and go through the process noted on this site for waking up a wing that has been sitting for awhile. If not, I will completely rebuild.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”