Goldwing Wannabes

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Goldwing Wannabes

Postby golden highway » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:21 pm

A lot of my friends have Harley's and they are always trying to talk me into buying one. Harley's are nice bikes but I like the comfort of the Goldwing. I have noticed they have been adding windshields, fairings, bigger windshields, better seats, wings and all sort of things to stop the wind now that is is getting colder. Today they were all excited about the new tall windshield for the street glide, that is when I suggested they just buy a Goldwing and get it over with and called them Goldwing Wannabes. It turned a little colder for me anyway. One of the guys was buying these little metal wings that bolt to the forks to stop the air ha ha ha. I said you buy enough of those you can build a full fairing. Yes it got a little colder for me again. Over all it was pretty fun day for me. :mrgreen:

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Re: Goldwing Wannabes

Postby tom84std » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Man your friends must be pretty good natured. So many in the Hawley crowd think of those things as being some kind of religious icon. I've actually known a couple who worship the things as if they were some sort of sacred relic. I think of them as being highly flawed machinery with a highly effective marketing strategy.
It's Indian Summer in N. Texas but that's sure to change. Haven't been able to ride much because I'm pouring my heart, soul and every spare moment into finishing my trike project. Now that you bring it up, the weather is supposed to be really nice here tomorrow.... Hmm...

JDMAG
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate

Postby JDMAG » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm just getting in to bikes. so forgive me if I'm too forward.....come to think of it that happens in my every day life any way. but the Harley dudes seem to be just a bit snobbish too! From all I have read, and the mechanics I have talked to, the goldwing is a far superior bike. Yes, I wanted a Harley when I started looking. I'm glad I'm a tight wad do it your selfer. I think my Goldwing will out perform any similar bike when I'm done with it.....If it don't, I'll just say "I'm not done with it yet"! lol :lol:

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Some young guy made a remark about my old Honda not being an AMERICAN bike. I pointed out to the ignorant little moron that a major portion of a Hawley is made in Japan and China. He acted like he didn't believe me. I told him to do a little research if he didn't believe what I said. Oh I live in a part of town where the guys spend $30,000 on a Hawley and spend two hours polishing it to ride to Starbucks once a week. After a couple of years they can't keep up with the payments so they sell it with 1000 miles on it. Those are the same guys who act as if anything but a Hawley is garbage. Really kinda sad in a way. They vote.

JDMAG

Postby JDMAG » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:04 pm

It raised my eyebrows and since I learned it, I have raised a few others, about the fact that Hondas were built in Ohio for a good amount of time in the 80's. and during that time the Hawleys were made in Japan.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Ohio... As Japanese as that sounds it is still firmly rooted in U.S. soil!
And I'm proud to point that out to the Harley guys that try to tell me I drive a Jap bike.

Too bad the 1800 production was moved back to Japan.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:46 am

Actually, Goldwings were made in Ohio right up through 2010 model. During the move back to Japan, there was no 2011 model and the first new ones out of the Japanese facility were the 2012s. As far as Harley Davidson parts from otherwhere, the starters are Japanese, the carburetors are Japanese, the front forks are Japanese, and a lot of the little electrical parts are made in Japan, China and Indonesia, such as ignition modules, voltage regulators, circuit breakers, relays and probably even coils. They experimented with some foreign made brake calipers, but I do not know if they continued them into the present. The only argument that made sense as to buying Harley instead of Honda was the one made by the economists. Harley Davidson profits remained in the U.S. but Honda profits went to Japan. I do not know how accurate that statement is, but it seems like it might be correct. For me - either bike is an import, as I do not live in the U.S., and both, when I bought any of mine, were imports from the U.S., Canada's biggest trade partner. We have the same attitudes amongst our Harley riders here, who do not seem to understand that their Harleys are imports, :lol: The attitudes generally begin about fifteen minutes after the purchase of said Harley. Any of the old time Harley riders, who have been bikers their entire lives, are okay with Goldwings and actually admit their superiority to the Harley line. Sonny Barger himself wrote in a book that if Honda had made the bikes that they make now (size wise), the Hells might be riding Honda bikes. When the Hells formed, Honda made 90 cc and smaller, and probably none were available in the U.S. at that time anyway. I believe the first bike of any size Honda made was the 1969 750-4. I could be wrong on the year by one or two. Harley was making 1200 cc bikes back in the 1940s.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 am

It's an interesting phenomenon. Being a part of both crowds, a lot of Harley guys I know aren't so snobbish as others. They are accepting of metrics and know that while the bikes are made here, all of the components aren't. More than you think just feel that it's not what you ride, but whether you ride. Attitudes have changed on a larger part. Harleys have become more of a lifestyle thing that just being an American bike with many. Sure, some will still tout the US bike or nothing attitude. Reality has set in with many, though.

And viking, you're basically on the money about everything. While profits from foreign made components go to the producing company wherever it is, production profits from manufacture of the bike stay here with Harley, Indian, and Victory.

The same can be said for the car crowd. I know many that are snobbish about American marques, while the amount of US made components have been dwindling more and more. I had an epiphany myself a few years ago regarding this. We were at Charlotte Motor Speedway and Toyota was touting the Tundra there. They had a sticker on the window of one stating the total amount of US made components. 75%! And it is produced here. Chevrolet or Ford or Dodge cannot make the same claim with their light trucks.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 am

I have a British bike which was assembled in the USA. I know this for a fact. I built it inside my kitchen last year. My floor has the welding splatter burns to prove it!

golden highway
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 am

One guy bought a new Haley this year $30,000.00 and the left saddle bag shakes so bad I could make fine martini in there. Before every ride he makes sure the bags are tight. I can only imagine what it would be like it that motor wasn't mounted on rubber because it shakes like a paint mixer. The bike does sound good but wears on you after awhile. The big plus about a Harley is the resale value is great. You can switch out bikes every few years without to much loss.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 pm

golden highway wrote:You can switch out Harleys every few years without to much loss.

Except that those who could afford a fairly new used Harley can afford a brand new Harley.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:52 am

Wow, 30K that's that's that's like 12, 81's, at $2500 each...So what would I do, buy 12 bikes or one bike.. No brainer

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

JDMAG, I like your attitude and even tho you are a fairly new face here I think we will hear from you often. You will find a lot of people think the same way you do reside here, so you found the right place.
Proud member Patriot Guard

bayoudave
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Motortrike

Postby bayoudave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:50 pm

All I have to say is look at the group names....Honda Goldwing "RIDERS" ..... Harley Owners.... kind of tells you what most of them think of their bike, you don't find a lot of 20,000 miles a year Harley bikers, I put 20,000+ a year on my Honda. Nuff said.
2002 Goldwing Motortrike Spider
2007 PiggyBacker Trailer
2009 Time Out Deluxe Camper
2006 Arctic Fox Toy Hauler

CMA
PGR

JDMAG

Postby JDMAG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks Bustedwing,, I look forward to learning, and chatting on here. I have already enjoyed the small amount I have done on my bike. and this Forum, has made it possible. I am actually thinking of looking for another barn find, and "re-furbishing" it for my Son's high school graduation present. He's not big on the fairing and such as on my GL1100I, so I'm still in a quandary as to what I should look for. the cheaper the better, as long as the engine is fixable.

Soooooo You'll be seeing quit a bit of me probably!

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Interesting reading, guys. Have you noticed most riders will wave no matter what kind of bike they ride....... But, rarely do I see a Harley rider wave. I guess the vibration is so bad they don't dare take their hands off the bar's... Lol........... I replaced a clutch cable on a clients Sportster 1200 back in the spring. I had not been on a Harley in years. I took it for a test ride of about 10 miles and determined I didn't care to ride a Harley again. My hands were numb after a short ride due to the vibration in the bars.
I bought my GW 1500 in mid July this year and have put on about 5000 miles since then. Upon returning home from a trip to Washington State, I met two guys at a gas stop in SE Oregon who were riding fairly new full dress Harley's and were returning from a trip to Alaska. I spoke with one of them and he said they were working on 10,000 miles for their trip. He said he still had 900 miles to go to get home and didn't think he would be riding his bike for a while. One of them had worn out a new rear tire on the ride. Nice guys though........
Bill

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 am

1976 I was in the market for a bike. I wanted a Harley for all the reasons everyone wants one. They sound cool, they were (at the time) larger than most of them out there. Harley hadn't gotten it's 'mystique' that it has now, and the prices were still in line with the other bikes on the market. I called my brother. 15 years my senior and had been riding many bikes for many years at the time. He told me NOT to buy a Harley product ever! He said they ride as if you'd bolted a pillon seat onto a 90 lb jackhammer, they are not reliable and not built anywhere as well as a good Honda. He urged me to spend my money on a Honda and forget about how the Harley sounds.
I got a new CB360T and absolutely loved that bike! I thought the electric start was wonderful, FIVE speed gearbox. I rode the HELL outta that bike. It was my daily commuter and I rode it all the time.
That was just before I caught my horrible infection and became addicted to British bikes. A condition of which I still suffer as can be seen by looking under my carport. For about the same money as a single Harley, I can buy several Hondas, Triumphs and BSAs.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm

JDMAG there is a naked GW on eBay at present with current bidding (1) at 999.00 that sounds like it would suit as it needs some work on the carbys, and will need a trailer to get it home. (Didnt look to see where it was).

The eBay item number is 290979554833.

Only has a bit over 1 day left in the bidding.

A 1976 with 25xxx miles on the odometer, which could be a good goer, without fairing.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

JDMAG

Postby JDMAG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks redial! I'll take a look at that.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Rumor has it that Harley is moving some of it's production to India.The diehard Harley guys will tell you that the last real Harley was a Shovelhead.When was that last built?Early 70's or late 60's?Just before AMF almost ruined them.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:02 pm

When I had my 1500 I pulled into a market to get something to drink, there were a couple of couples on Harley's parked also, one of the guys wife said "nice bike is it comfortable?" She ask if she could sit on the bike, I had no problem with that so she got into the passengers seat and settled in, her next remark was "We got to get one of these bike's it's much more comfortable that ours.
I now have a 2012 GL1800, the wife likes the comfort a lot better than the 1500 and I really like the way it handles over the 1500. I must say that I think the GL1500 is the classiest bike ever built as far as style goes.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Interesting reading, but the money -whether it's a Metric or American bike- goes to the shareholders. Same here as in Japan or China. You can buy stock and become and an investor in any of them. The "money" goes to wherever the investors live. :)

golden highway
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 pm

We were heading out the other evening and knowing it would be a cold ride home everyone was taking extra gear. The Harley guys were stuffing things everywhere and it didn't take long for them to realize the Goldwing has lots of storage. The best came when when the guy with the new Harley bagger was bragging about having lots of room, until he wanted to put his full faced helmet in his trunk. It didn't fit so guess where that went, in the Goldwing trunk. In Harley's defense most Harley riders don't wear a helmet or a full helmet at best they where a shorty.

REBEL
Motorcycle: 1985 1200A Aspencade

Postby REBEL » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:00 pm

I am 51, but, I have rode motorcycles since I was 12, when I got my first Honda 175, then at 18 I had a Honda Elsinore, street/trail 2 cycle, since then I have owned a '79 Harley sportster, that was in rough shape when I got it. Spent a lot to get it road worthy and daily checking for loose parts. Due to an accident I had to give up riding for a while and sold the Harley. A few years ago I bought a Honda 750 with a home made chopper with a rigid frame, with seat almost as thick as a postage stamp that thing almost beat me to death, I could almost ride over a dime and tell heads or tails. That one didn't last with me very long, A few months ago I stumbled upon a 1985 Goldwing Aspencade 1200 and after a few minor adjustments to the shifter, and brake pedal I really like this bike, it has much more power than the Harley could produce, even though the sportster weighs half as much. It is my first with a full fairing, windshield and radio and I really like the smooth ride and handling and I really like the tall windshield that stops those pesky local bugs and occasional bee. This bike is a daily rider for me and I couldn't be happier with it. I do get some sour looks from the hard core Harley guys, but I figure to each their own. Im not out to impress anyone, I just want to ride and enjoy the road.

jhbates2000
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby jhbates2000 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:51 am

I am one of those guys who is just happy to go out every night to go to work and get on my bike and go. Bear in mind I have a decent paying job working for the Fed Gov't but I don't need a $30,000.00 bike bike to make me happy. I work with guys who HAVE TO work 2-3 overtimes per week just to be able to make their truck and Harley payments and the funny thing is most days my old 83 Aspencade that I only paid $400.00 for is the only bike out in all those lonely motorcycle parking spots in the parking lot. And the best part is when I get home my wife usually has someplace she wants to get and get a soda...on the bike...most days we end up an hour or two away, sometimes we forget the soda and just enjoy the ride!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”