How to sell

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

How to sell

Postby Dogsled » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone can share the procedure I would use to sell my Wing to a private owner if I placed an ad in the paper.

I only carry Liability insurance and if a buyer comes who I don't know, what is the convention?

I'm not letting someone I don't know test drive the bike for a few reasons. A: I don't know them. B: what if they wreck it. If they require a test drive before they buy it to make sure it runs good......I wouldn't blame them, but then again i'm not gonna let that happen.

So what do you do when a sale depends on a test ride. I gotta figure out a price I guess.....prolly go to some web sites and see what the dealers are asking and i'm sure I can go less.

Any tips on how to handle home sales would be appreciated

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to sell

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:42 pm

It's your bike, your insurance. You let him ride it, if he wrecks it, he walks away, you get to deal with your insurance company. Being that you have liability only, that means you now own a wrecked bike. You could always go after him in small claims court...but it's your word against his.

There is one way, and one way only that I would let someone test ride a bike I was selling, and it would be the following:

The test rider shows me a motorcycle endorsement and car/bike insurance of some sort
The test rider first hands over full purchase price, in cash, for me to hold while he rides the bike.

If the bike comes back in any condition other than the same as when he left on it, congratulations, he just bought it!

I would have a receipt stating the above conditions, signed by both of us, that he can use to allay his fears of his cash disappearing, and of him welching on the deal after wrecking the bike.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Yeah.........that's sounds like alot of 'ifs'......I was just thinking of sayin 'as is' tell him nothing is wrong with it, but it's not insured at all so no test drives. The only place I know that will let you take a test drive at the drop of a hat is Harley....... Anyway, I was just curious. Car dealers let you test drive and even that is a crap shoot later on.

If I ask XXXX.XX and say take it or leave it, it's prolly the only way to get around all the paperwork/liability. As long as the price is reasonable

Trade-ins are just like throwing away $1000 bucks of the top...........This particular bike isn't for buying anything else, just for sale and the cash.

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 pm

A test ride is just not smart with a bike. Too many people come looking and don't have an endorsement or much riding experience and if you are selling a big bike like a wing, you are looking for trouble. If they wreck it, you own a wrecked bike... and the can sue you for injuries because you own the bike. If they are just that adamant about wanting to know that it runs good, take them 2 up but you drive. Anybody that knows what they are looking at will not need a test ride and will be fine with listening to it run in the driveway.

As far as how to price it, you can look online at going rates for like bikes and go from there. Winter time usually means cheaper bike prices because demand is lower but don't sell yourself short. Don't price it much lower than dealers but be willing to dicker down to your real asking price. Also, don't take checks unless you are willing to give the bike away for free. Cash speaks and it's cash only for me.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 pm

If they will accept it, ride the bike up and down the road in front of them, going through the gears and demonstrating that it works as you claim. Other than that, go with WingAdmin's suggestion of having the money in cash in your hand. I bought a brand new GL1800 without test riding it. Buying a bike is not about whether or not I can handle it. It is up to me to get up to speed in that category. If buying it certified (we need that up here) then the motorcycle mechanic at the shop that does the certification is going to test ride it under their shop insurance. If buying as is, and I was buying it, then watching you ride it would be good enough for me.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 pm

I would suggest you print out a bill of sale for the person you are selling it to and have it ready to fill out.... In some states the title is not enough... I rode mine up and down the street for the guy and stopped on a dime in front of him to show the brakes worked well.. I showed him the brake lights and turn signals all work and the highbeams...Horn too.... Oh and here's a great trick too...Set a time like 3 pm and have three or four guys all come at the same time to view the bike...You might get more than you are asking because someone may want it more than the other guy...Never go down on the price only up...Speak the truth only about it...No tall tales...If the tires are a year old tell him that..

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 am

Selling a bike privately is the best way to get a better price than trading it or selling it to a dealer. As the guys already told you, there are a few pitfalls you have to watch for. So far, they have been right on the money. As to transfers when you do get a seller, just check with your local DMV office and they will be glad to tell you exactly how it works. We are fortunate here in Pennsylvania. They decentralized everything a long time ago to the private sector and having independent messenger services everywhere makes things like notary work, plates and license stuff, and title transfers a snap and quick. No three hour waits in the DMV office.

The beav is spot on about being honest. Make sure the bike is cleaned up and everything works ok. You'll have to deal with those wanting something for nothing, and it's infuriating. I'm helping a friend sell his pop up camper right now and had someone like that come here yesterday to look at. He stores it on my property. Waste of my time, but it's part of the price one pays selling. Know the book value of the bike. You can look it up easily on http://www.nada.com and go to the consumer section. It's free and the same reference dealers use. If you ever saw a salesman use an off orange small book to look up values, that's who printed them.

The test ride thing is something I also would discourage you from doing. If you ever saw the Allstate mayhem commercial a while back with the guy selling a mid life crisis chopper and mayhem wrecking it, even the insurance people caution sellers about test rides. They dump it, it's on you. Your rates go up and it wasn't your fault. No collision, you eat the damage. Many buyers are just looky loos and you don't want them messing with what came out of your pocket.

When you place ads on venues like Craigslist or Cycle Trader, you have to be real aware of scammers that prey on private sellers. I learned of them a number of years ago when I was selling a Subaru on AutoTrader.com. One of the most widespread scams is when they offer to buy the item (it can be almost anything advertised for sale now) usually without haggling or seeing it. They want to send you a cashier's check and have the item shipped. Often, they state there is an overage in the check and to give it to the person picking up the item, but not always. The check is bad and what happens is that you cash it, get the money, turn over the item being sold and any extra money, the bank finally finds out that the check is fraudulent and wants the money back and legally, you have to return the funds. Now, you are out the face value of the check and whatever you were selling. It's even worse if you have spent the money by the time the bank finds out the check was bad all along. Now, you are in real trouble. At that time, my auto squad knew nothing about these scams but when I talked to an agent at the Secret Service field office, they were actively investigating this as most came from overseas. There was a piece on the local news several years ago where a woman was selling a vintage chair on eBay and got taken by just this scam. She lost a bunch of money and the chair. We have a few items up on Craigslist now and have been targeted by a few scammers. Now, it seems that every time I place anything up for sale, I get popped by at least one, if not more. They now have a few variations on the original scam, but the basic theme is the same. Now also, they are using text messages on phones to try the same thing. Once, I had one try to use a TTY machine to look like a deaf person. That was real low. Imaginative, but low none the same. As many of these scammers are from overseas, you have virtually no recourse if you get taken.

Be wary of any offers to buy the bike sight unseen and especially if shipping is in the mix. Be wary of text messages from out of Ohio, as this is your home state. If you do take an offer involving a check of any kind, even in a face to face deal, make clear that you will not turn over the bike to anyone for any reason until your bank has completely cleared the check and the funds are in your account. Truthfully, I would not accept a check in a face to face deal. It is an inconvenience to the buyer, but if he/she is a sincere person about the sale, they will understand. If you do, make clear that the bike is not theirs until the check clears. Most banks will be glad to investigate any check and try to ascertain if it is valid or not before turning over money to you if you ask them to. They don't want to deal with this crap any more than you do. I had a discussion about this with a teller at my local branch of PNC Bank where I do most of my personal business back when I still had my classic car parts business. She assured me that they will look out for my interests so I never get taken. It is also possible to stop payment on a check after the fact. You take a check, do the paperwork and turn over the bike, then the buyer stops payment. Now, you have a BIG problem on your hands. Checks are simply just not worth the hassle and aggravation.

I'm making an open offer to anyone here to help them screen any offers on things you guys might be selling over the internet or wherever. Just forward me details of any offer you get and I will tell you my opinion of whether the offer seems valid or not. I have the experience and law enforcement contacts and will be glad to help keep you guys safe. As I'm not real concerned with my address being viewed, it's officer64@aol.com. PM or e-mail me and I'll be glad to give you a phone number.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks for the e-mail offer wjnfirearms.

I know this nutty guy who is always selling bikes and cars and I never hear him worry about anything or get screwed. Me, i'm cautious and don't trust anybody. Seems like alot of work. selling in the fall time makes sense in some cases.......nothing to store all winter, gotta be worth a few hundred bucks loss......Just the fact I don't have to trip over it to get to my tool box is gold!!!
Thanks for all the advice, if I gotta do that much thinking, i'm bound to get screwed.... :lol:

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:58 am

Yeah, dog...every once in a while, we know someone that seems like they were born under a 4 leaf clover. I know I wasn't!

Yep, selling today involves work. You gotta sell the item, deal with morons, keep from getting conned. And that's if anyone is in the market for whatever is being sold in the first place. But sometimes, it works out just fine.

Good luck on the sale.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Here's how I do it, once I make a deal whether I am buying it or selling it...If I am buying a car I will ask them to meet me at my bank with the title in hand, we go into the bank and I write a check and get cash... done.. If I'm selling it I want cash only.. Or we can go to his bank and he can do the same and I will have the title in my hand.. :D You have to find the time to do this but it's the safe way..

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:09 pm

I wouldn't let anybody test ride. Too much risk involved for you. They could listen to the bike run, look at the maintenance record, look at the overall condition of the bike and ask plenty of questions but thats as far as I would be willing to go.

As for selling the bike you can refer to Nada or KBB as a rough guide but a better idea is to check out ebay, cycletrader and craigslist. The longer you look the better idea you'll have on what the true market value is. And I agree, cash in hand is the way to go. I guess there is a lot of scamming going on and even cashiers checks aren't safe.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:55 am

If someone is going to buy a motorcycle, and its a cash deal, take a friend along with you.. The reason is you could get robbed by some idiot knowing you have that much cash on you.. Make sure your friend is armed and dangerous, this could get ugly if he has 5 friends in the area or if they pull up in a car and launch an attack,,That happened to me once but I had no friend with me..It was only me The Beave alone and I was attacked... :shock: I don't carry a gun but I have lots of knifes on me at all times, When they started shooting at me :shock: I turned into Super Beave and used the knife to deflect the bullets, [I can see them coming ya know] anyway they ran out of bullets and then I attacked them one at a time, it was a bloodly mess :shock: But we all stopped because the Ice Cream truck came down the street :shock: I bought because I had the money right :shock: Hey did you know that the price of ice cream went way up? well it did.. So I got the 5 guys down and all that was left was the owner of the bike that I went to see in the first place and I cut him in the inside of one of his legs and it was just like a water facet, but red...I made him sign the title and I got on his bike and rode home with it, not a scratch on me.. :shock: But I paid him a dollar for it first so it was a honest deal... :lol: Seriously be careful when paying cash..You can get rolled and robbed..

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:40 am

IT'S SUPERBEAVE!! DAH, DAH, DAH!!! :lol:

Seriously, though, Beave does have a point about being careful carrying large amounts of cash especially if one is in an area not familiar. Common sense should reign supreme here. Even being strapped doesn't mean that the experience will go as planned necessarily. It definitely puts the odds more toward your side, but nothing's certain. Still, on the rare occasions that I'm carrying a bunch of $$ (I sure wish I had half of the money that some seem to think I have), mother's little helper is always along for the ride.

Selling anything can be tough. Pricing something to sell is not always easy. No matter what any guide says something is worth, nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay for it. Just because something is priced at whatever on eBay, or wherever, it doesn't mean that it will sell either if you use that as a guide rather than a pricing guide. Actually, I've seen items for sale from cars to toys priced on the sale and auction sites at ridiculous levels. People think they have gold and expect to be paid such. Then, they shake their heads when nobody bites. NADA and KBB use fair market values to price vehicles which is a better indicator of what similar vehicles sell for in any given region. It's a bit more realistic.

Bottom line is that if you want the bike to go away sooner than later, price it realistically and hope someone is in the market for it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Another vote for this - any time I'm carrying a lot of cash to purchase a vehicle, I have that cash stashed in a strap-on wallet somewhere on me other than in my pocket, and I am armed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Another vote for this - any time I'm carrying a lot of cash to purchase a vehicle, I have that cash stashed in a strap-on wallet somewhere on me other than in my pocket, and I am armed.

Me too, but don't tell anyone, as we Canadians are not supposed to be armed. Surprise............. :mrgreen:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Dang I ain't found a buyer and I already got it planned to shoot him!!!!!!! If that's the plan, I can sell the same bike 6 or 7 times...... :lol:

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 am

I don't know how you guys do it, I would never buy a bike I couldn't ride. Even if it hasn't any plates, I would have to run it up and down the street. There are way too many things that "clean" looking bike sitting still and running, can hide. Put yourself in the buyers shoes for a minute. Would you want to hand over a couple of thousand bucks without at least running it around the block? Not me!

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am

See, what minimac says sounds like a logical argument. if I was buying, I would think the seller was hiding something......confusing situation

The closest Honda dealer to me won't let anyone test ride even used bikes....they say that's their policy....PERIOD.....and they sell alot of bikes. Now Harley they could care less if the biggest thing you ever rode was a Vespa.....Get a helmet, license and take a full dresser out for a ride. Pretty big difference in policies.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:28 pm

It is a logical argument. Unfortunately, given the topic, one that is out of the norm, so to speak. It's like trying to explain to my wife something that stems from things illogical. You cannot put logic to the illogical.

Buying a car is one thing. Generally, everyone that comes to buy a car, regardless of whether it's from a private seller or a lot, can drive a car. Some better than others, but that's a topic for another time. Motorcycles are another animal entirely. You have no way of gauging the skill set of a prospective bike buyer. You get someone looking at your Wing that has never ridden before or at best, rode anything bigger than a Honda Rebel. How confident would you be that he will take it out and bring it back intact? Then again, there's the issue of whether it would come back at all? This has happened. I would have to speculate that the dealers that banned test rides have had issues with just that in the past. The liability for test rides falls entirely with the dealership. I can easily see someone taking out a big displacement bike for a test ride without having the experience or sense to really be able to handle it, wrecking it and killing themselves or worse, someone else, and the family suing the dealership for letting him take it out in the first place when they couldn't handle the power of the bike. Now, they have to eat the bike and pay a lawyer and likely lose the suit or at least have to settle out of court. In this climate in this country, don't tell me that this won't happen. This could bankrupt a dealership very easily. And over what? Don't think that this couldn't happen to you as a private seller. You get some person that's wife isn't in favor of him buying your bike in the first place, or worse, doesn't know about it at all, he dumps it and gets hurt or worse, and she takes it up with one of the ambulance chasers that advertise on local TV. Now, you've lost everything you have plus.

Sorry, guys. It's just plain not worth it. And don't say that I'm being extremist. I'm a realist.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Dogsled I think you got way more than you asked for on this post ...You had the the right answer to start with, I actually went for a ride with a guy so he could test ride my Nomad, I got a feel for him and after knowing that he could ride and seeing his license I said lets go man, we went for a ten mile ride, No way could he out run my ginger on that Nomad so I wasn't concerned, we had a great time and he bought the bike the same day and he left very happy, I had him call his insurance company and had them send me a e-mail so he would have proof of insurance riding home,, 5 minute procedure if you know what you are doing..all I did was print out the card on my PC's printer and was done.. He rode on his way with insurance too with one bad ass Nomad........ :lol: Most would just chance it riding home without the paper proof.. I suggest you call your insurance the minute you buy a vehicle and get your insurance in place, so if you have a accident on your way home, you are covered...You guys know Mr. Murphy, and his Laws.. :lol:

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Beaver,
My insurance co. and car insurance both have apolicy that if I buy another vehicle (and the coverage stays the same) I have 24 hours to contact them and can still be covered.

Everything seem to have to go by feelings and who it is your dealing with....

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 am

When the persons in this thread that advocate against permitting test rides bought their bikes....did they test ride them first?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am

I wouldn't let them ride it, when I bought mine from the dealer they said no way! take it or not.
And they said no warranty even for a week, I just had to trust them, glad I did, it's a great bike and I love her!!
And yes be careful about cash! A friend of mines son was killed by a guy that bought his car. the guy bought his car and came back the next day and said I want my money back, and he said ok give me the keys and title, then the guy pulled a gun and said no I want the money and I'm keeping the car too! long story short the police wouldn't do anything without proof and the guy shot him a couple weeks later and they never arrested him because he claimed self defense!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Tandem, guess that's why they call is 'Surprise' Arizona.....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

SteveB123 wrote:When the persons in this thread that advocate against permitting test rides bought their bikes....did they test ride them first?

Good point - the seller I bought my 1100 from handed over the keys without even asking if I knew how to ride, so yes I did.

I bought my 1500 sight unseen, but did have a helpful expert in Chicago (where I bought it from) take it for a ride first, and do a close examination.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”