Love my old wing but

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Love my old wing but

Postby tom84std » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I've still got the little bitty girlfriend who fell asleep behind me a few months ago. We were riding today and approached a stop. The pavement was grooved perpendicular to our direction of travel. I put my right foot down while we were still rolling slightly, just a few feet before the stop. A groove caught the sole of my shoe and grabbed it. Jerking my leg backwards and shifting our combined weight and the handlebar reaction.... Long story short, I saved it but not by much. "GOOD Save!" she exclaimed because she figured out what happened as it happened. I dropped her off and rode on home. Every stop I took afterward was smooth a silk. No problem whatsoever. I think the difference could be the added weight, a slight shift of the passenger just as it rolls to a stop... Whatever! I hate this.
Wonder what a fella can do to ride with a passenger and have it not get tricky at stops?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Love my old wing but

Postby dingdong » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:43 am

The only thing I can suggest is a passenger education lesson. When coming to a stop keep your butt firmly planted. When stopped, keep your butt firmly planted. When taking off from a stop, keep your butt firmly planted. When riding below 15 mph, keep your butt firmly planted. Also important: When riding the twisties, keep your butt firmly planted. Any other time you can stand up and dance if you want to. There are more but you get the gist of this.

Just curious. Is this the same girlfriend who wanted a boyfriend who rode a Harley? ;)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am

I basically never touch the ground with my foot unless the bike is either stopped, or almost completely stopped. When pulling away, I pick up my foot just as I engage the clutch, so the bike starts moving the instant I lift my foot. Similarly, I put my foot down just the instant the bike comes to a stop. It took a lot of practice to do consistently on this big bike (lots of slow riding in parking lots!), but I go through a lot less boot soles as a result.

I hate to say it, but nothing shows an inexperienced rider more than the guy who puts his feet down and walks his bike to a stop, and then walks it back up to riding speed when starting off. Harley riders (at least around here) are infamous for this.

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Well, she's really a good passenger. Doesn't wiggle or squirm, but it's a funny situation. While solo, I can roll to a stop and just touch the ground well after forward motion has ceased. Add a passenger and the extra mass seems just less manageable. She's a small person, not heavy at all. I've been thinking about pulling, cleaning and reinstalling-checking out the headstock and bearings. To the best of my knowlege it's never been done and surely can't hurt. I haven't jacked it up and given it the wiggle test yet either but it's a thirty year old machine and probably should be done.

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah Dingdong this is the Hawley Queen. Just now she's in the process of buying her OWN bike. She's so small I almost hate to see her do it but that's not my call. I say to go for one of the lowrider Sportsters. Low, lighter and a lot cheaper. As a bonus, the Sportster has the unitized gearbox/engine so there are way fewer parts to fall off.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:26 pm

I find myself doing almost the same thing when my wife is along, when I'm by myself I don't seem to have a problem!! I think it is because my self conscience is afraid to not be "Perfect" when she is riding, most of the time when I don't make a "Perfect" stop/start I say something and she says, I didn't notice, what are you talking about!?
So I just keep on keepin on!! and trying to do it right!! LOL!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Has to be the extra mass because if find myself doing the same thing, Solo no issues foot up and down, Passenger along and it all goes away in a hand basket

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 pm

tom84std wrote:Yeah Dingdong this is the Hawley Queen. Just now she's in the process of buying her OWN bike. She's so small I almost hate to see her do it but that's not my call. I say to go for one of the lowrider Sportsters. Low, lighter and a lot cheaper. As a bonus, the Sportster has the unitized gearbox/engine so there are way fewer parts to fall off.

Tom, our friends across the street both ride Harleys. She is a little bitty thang, and went through several bikes before she got a good deal on late model Sportster with a trike kit on it. It fits her perfectly and she loves it. You can tell just by watching her that most of the anxiety is gone now. It's fun to watch her really enjoy the ride instead of being "uptight" all the time. Might be something for your friend to consider.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:55 pm

I have the same issues. When I am single, i never have a problem. When I go two up, it becomes a problem. The balance is different. Don't know if it's because she sits higher and it makes the center of gravity higher, or just nervous cause I don't want to screw up with her on the back.

Bill

LloydB
Motorcycle: 08 GL1800 ABS/Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper
1995 GL1500SE with a Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

Postby LloydB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 am

It might be that with the extra weight the rear of the bike sits a little lower, and the ground is a little closer when you put your foot down. I have had the same passenger for over 50 years, so she is very experienced with sitting still at low speeds, in turns and curves, she just looks over my shoulder in the direction we a turning. I guess it is another reason to stay married so long, by the way we both still love to ride but do it with a sidecar now so I don't have to put my feet down at all. Good luck with riding with a passenger.
Lloyd and Judy
Comfort, Tx.
08 GL1800 ABS with a Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Thank goodness for this post........ The passenger falls asleep behind you???? Does she realize she's on 2 wheels???? Only her lawyer would bring up your driving skills if she had gotten hurt. You ride a stranger on the back of your bike and you're asking to lose everything you have
NUMBER 1; Why I don't ride people stupid enough to fall asleep on the back of my bike in the hopes of .....se....anyway.....funny how no matter what your insurance offers it's never enough with non related people on the back. The nicest peeps go for the house and cars

I never let anyone on my bike, I ride with many women and they all ride their own bikes! Listen to Seabeechief......funny I bet the women he's talkin bout never fall asleep when riding their own bike....

Thanks, for this post though..
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Dogsled wrote:Thank goodness for this post........ The passenger falls asleep behind you???? Does she realize she's on 2 wheels???? Only her lawyer would bring up your driving skills if she had gotten hurt. You ride a stranger on the back of your bike and you're asking to lose everything you have
NUMBER 1; Why I don't ride people stupid enough to fall asleep on the back of my bike in the hopes of .....se....anyway.....funny how no matter what your insurance offers it's never enough with non related people on the back. The nicest peeps go for the house and cars

I never let anyone on my bike, I ride with many women and they all ride their own bikes! Listen to Seabeechief......funny I bet the women he's talkin bout never fall asleep when riding their own bike....

Thanks, for this post though..

On the other hand, I know a lady who knits while riding on the back of their wing. She sure gets some strange looks.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Right, I think???? I thought the little bitty thang bought her own bike, or had her own bike before, or owned a Harley and didn't pick her feet up.......but yes knitting is........isn't that where they have the 12" steel needles right behind the drivers head??????? Oh yeah, knitting is out for sure.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:20 pm

In the MSF course, drilled into my head was keep your heads and eyes up, look where you go and you go where you look. On stopping, head and eyes up looking straight ahead using both brakes to stop, downshift to first left foot to the ground. I have caught myself bumbling to a stop and knew what I did wrong, looking somewhere else instead of ahead. In the highway patrol class, the motor officers where all over us all day long about getting your feet up on the pegs as soon as the motorcycle was rolling to keep you foot from getting hung up and turned backwards.
As far as a passenger if its some one that has very little riding experience, I always go thru a pre trip with them to explain some things as hot pipes here (on the old Harley) shifting weight, do it slowly, no quick maneuvers, lean with the motorcycle,don't fight it (big problem) and have fun.
The wife went thru a beginners class a wanted a Harley, put her on a 250 single Yamaha, then a 500 Virago, then to the sportster. After 3 years decided to become a passenger again. I started her off on a small bike for cost and repairs vs. a new Harley, it was light and nimble and it fit her, on feet on the ground, controls within reach and comfortable. Yesterday I spent over two hours getting her passenger pegs just right. It's always something.
Maybe you could convince or suggest to you girlfriend to buy a smaller bike that fits her and drive it 6 months or so and then see if she really wants to go big. And by all means take the riders edge course or a MSF course. After she does the course she will tell you what you are doing wrong. I love it. Then you will go thru the everything has to match syndrome. It's all good.
Harley just came out with a 500 and a 750. That might fit her to a T.

Have a good ride....
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:48 am

Dogsled, now that I am riding a trike my wife has fallen asleep on long trips a few times. I have the swinging armrests that she tucks right into herself and the only time I know she is asleep is when I have to hit the brakes and her helmet hits the back of mine.
Proud member Patriot Guard

carlrf
Motorcycle: GL1000 1978

Postby carlrf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Holy Moly, same issue here too but, my girlfriend is "a good sized girl" (kindest woman I have ever known however, and she makes my heart melt) but anyway, after riding solo a while I forget the difference it makes, huge! We took a trip to south Missouri a couple weekends ago and pulled into a Mexican joint in Clinton only to loose my balance and go down! How humiliating. I have been riding since I was 14, now 57. Was kinda a funny though, after picking myself up off the ground, I look and see her still sitting on the bike with it like at a 45 degree laying on its side, engine still running. I said "Uh, honey, you may want to get off now". I wasn't able to comment further for a good 15 minutes, was so frustrated with myself. She was very supporting and tried to blame herself, but we all know who needs to get their act together here!

BTW, over that weekend I raised the forks in the triple clamps 10mm (lowering the front end slightly) and so far it has made a noticable overall improvement in the bikes handling.

Actually have similar issues with my DL650 V Strom. Think it goes with the territory. Change your thinking when two up, for sure.

Carl

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Wow that's a post in itself.....raising the tubes up the tree.......

I don't ride passengers because......I just don't. But I wonder what the 'LIMIT' would be for raising the tubes and not affecting handling.....

Never judge a passengers size....my buddy couldn't handle a squirmy 98 pounder on the back....that's why I abide by the RIDE YOUR OWN BIKE philosophy. Body dynamics are not involved with riding in a car and it's easy for peeps that don't know to think that they don'y affect the ride.

I think this topic has gone a bit south......If you got a big woman....MMMmmmmmm love it up. How it affects how you 2 ride is up to you. My best friend couldn't handle his wing without the big mama on back....it's all balance.....damn, the passenger has to have skills too...

Lets get back to safe limits (because i'd like another inch riding solo) are there saftey guidelines posted anywhere??????

I've spent last year dealing with rear suspension/handling, I never thought of the tube issuse.......

GOOD TOPIC

carlrf
Motorcycle: GL1000 1978

Postby carlrf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Dogsled wrote:Wow that's a post in itself.....raising the tubes up the tree.......

But I wonder what the 'LIMIT' would be for raising the tubes and not affecting handling.....

I think this topic has gone a bit south......If you got a big woman....MMMmmmmmm love it up. How it affects how you 2 ride is up to you. My best friend couldn't handle his wing without the big mama on back....it's all balance.....damn, the passenger has to have skills too...

Lets get back to safe limits (because i'd like another inch riding solo) are there saftey guidelines posted anywhere??????

I've spent last year dealing with rear suspension/handling, I never thought of the tube issuse.......

GOOD TOPIC

Here is what I see the original topic was............

"Wonder what a fella can do to ride with a passenger and have it not get tricky at stops?"

This was one of the specific reasons I raised the forks in the trees. Yes it does affect handling. But in a positive way in my opinion since I have squashed the rear with passenger, bags, trunk and contents of same.
What limits?
Obviously you are making the bike steer quicker, lower to the ground, possible less suspension travel and or physical component interference and sure there is probably more.
This is not an uncommon modification for altering handling on many styles of motorcycles.
On the the V Strom site I frequent they recomend not over 10mm but not sure of exact reasons other than the possibilites mentioned. And that is a V Strom, not a 35 year old wing, so don't take it as a recommnedation, it's just what I did. But it is easy to do, try and return to origianal if one wants to experiment. I was impressed what it did for mine but again, not recommending it for anyone.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Hey are we too touchy here on performance.....we've all seen the guys in indonesia with 13 kids in drywall buckets, their wife, mom and dad and the season harvest of rice all on the 250CC bike bustin down the road with a smile on their face. I wonder if the driver gets a 'twitch' that he runs home and re-does his steering head bushings...... I think this all falls under the 'S**T HAPPENS' SYNDROME'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”