new GL1200

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

new GL1200

Postby aladdin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 am

I have had my 87 GL1200 almost one year and was never happy with the handling, nothing alarming, just not that nice to ride and did not inspire me to go out for a ride just for the enjoyment.

I had it serviced and the bike shop mechanic showed me the steering head bearings were notchy - they were worn flat and the previous owner had simply tightened them up (this had been mentioned in an email from him when I bought the bike but never thought much about it at the time).

Long story short - I had the shop replace the bearings and what a different bike!!! It not only handles much better, it doesn't keep changing direction demanding constant rider input on a straight road and the ride is even smoother! I honestly cannot believe how much difference this has made.

If you want your bike to handle like new, and its done a few miles, I strongly urge you to check your steering head bearings or have a qualified mechanic do this - it takes very little to be wrong to really afect the handling and even the ride quality. Its the best couple of hundies you'll ever spend on her :D :D :D

Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Re: new GL1200

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 am

yep... nothing like being able to steer:-)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”